EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Martial said it wasn't a foul. The referee then decided - without being able to see it again and being unsure - that it was suddenly a penalty and a red card offence. Its like the Alex Ferguson years all over again. Or Liverpool last season. 

How in God's name is Hasenhüttl still the Southampton manager?  Two 9-0 defeats in 17 months ffs.  He should've been sacked on the bus home.
It's a strange one as, by and large, I'd say he's done pretty well. But aye, losing 9-0 in 2 consecutive seasons isn't a great look.

I never wanted VAR to be brought in but the people who wanted it kept saying "so you'd rather that refs kept making wrong decisions and they didn't get overturned?". Ignoring the fact that yes, I'd accept that refereea sometimes get things wrong, what's the point in VAR if they don't overturn wrong decisions? Luiz didn't deliberately bring down the Wolves player with no attempt to win the ball. Bednarek didn't bring down Martial in the box. Two fairly easy decisions to make yet they were allowed to stand.

56 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I never wanted VAR to be brought in but the people who wanted it kept saying "so you'd rather that refs kept making wrong decisions and they didn't get overturned?". Ignoring the fact that yes, I'd accept that refereea sometimes get things wrong, what's the point in VAR if they don't overturn wrong decisions? Luiz didn't deliberately bring down the Wolves player with no attempt to win the ball. Bednarek didn't bring down Martial in the box. Two fairly easy decisions to make yet they were allowed to stand.

The problem with VAR isn't the review process, it's the utter fucking morons operating it. The officials down south are every bit as bad, if not worse, than the much maligned Scottish lot.

It really highlights how bad referees are in the UK. These guys are supposed to be the best around (in the UK) and it's farcical the free ride they're getting when they're a large reason of why VAR is proving to be such an absolute disaster.

VAR could easily be a phenomenal tool to utilise for certain situations, but it's been used to hide incompetence of refs and everyone is left blaming the cameras.

VAR is a massive waste of time and it always has been simply because of the rules implemented to only review certain decisions. You either want everything correct - or leave it to human judgement. You can't chop off a goal for a foul three minutes previous yet not chop one off for an incorrectly awarded corner. To do the correct thing and implement every decision being scrutinised would take an eternity to finish a game and therefor as numerous sane people pointed out - it is a massive waste of time, effort and money. Throw the fucking thing in the bin. 

Southampton have requested referee Mike Dean does not officiate their upcoming fixtures and will appeal the red card shown to defender Jan Bednarek in their 9-0 loss to Manchester United.

Fellow Premier League side Arsenal will appeal defender David Luiz's sending off in Tuesday's 2-1 defeat by Wolves.

Saints also do not want Lee Mason, who was the fourth official at Old Trafford, to officiate their games.

Mason was the referee in Saints' recent controversial 1-0 loss to Aston Villa.

Bednarek was the second player to be sent off for Ralph Hasenhuttl's side when he brought down Anthony Martial and conceded a penalty in the 86th minute.

Referee Dean initially only awarded a penalty to Manchester United but dismissed Bednarek after being instructed to watch replays of the incident on the pitchside monitor by video assistant referee Graham Scott.

Poland international Bednarek, 24, claimed "Martial said it's not a foul" as he left the pitch, before the hosts went on to secure a record-equalling Premier League win.

Against Aston Villa on Saturday, Stuart Armstrong's effort struck Villa defender Matty Cash on the arm, however VAR Dean did not instruct on-field referee Mason to award a penalty as he decided the ball had deflected off the defender's leg first.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta criticised referee Craig Pawson's decision to dismiss Brazil international Luiz at the end of the first half in their defeat by Wolves.

The Gunners led 1-0 when Luiz was shown a straight red, after he was judged to have fouled Willian Jose and conceded a penalty.

"I've seen it 10 times in different angles and I cannot tell you where the contact is," Arteta said.

1 hour ago, WALMOT said:

Southampton have requested referee Mike Dean does not officiate their upcoming fixtures and will appeal the red card shown to defender Jan Bednarek in their 9-0 loss to Manchester United.

Fellow Premier League side Arsenal will appeal defender David Luiz's sending off in Tuesday's 2-1 defeat by Wolves.

Saints also do not want Lee Mason, who was the fourth official at Old Trafford, to officiate their games.

Mason was the referee in Saints' recent controversial 1-0 loss to Aston Villa.

Bednarek was the second player to be sent off for Ralph Hasenhuttl's side when he brought down Anthony Martial and conceded a penalty in the 86th minute.

Referee Dean initially only awarded a penalty to Manchester United but dismissed Bednarek after being instructed to watch replays of the incident on the pitchside monitor by video assistant referee Graham Scott.

Poland international Bednarek, 24, claimed "Martial said it's not a foul" as he left the pitch, before the hosts went on to secure a record-equalling Premier League win.

Against Aston Villa on Saturday, Stuart Armstrong's effort struck Villa defender Matty Cash on the arm, however VAR Dean did not instruct on-field referee Mason to award a penalty as he decided the ball had deflected off the defender's leg first.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta criticised referee Craig Pawson's decision to dismiss Brazil international Luiz at the end of the first half in their defeat by Wolves.

The Gunners led 1-0 when Luiz was shown a straight red, after he was judged to have fouled Willian Jose and conceded a penalty.

"I've seen it 10 times in different angles and I cannot tell you where the contact is," Arteta said.

The sooner people just accept that Man Utd get more favourable refereeing decisions than everyone else the better.

It will never change.

Fair play to Lingard. He’s played really well and made a full 90mins for West Ham despite the length of time he was out. I hope he does well, feel a bit sorry for him when I read about his family issues.