EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Because there would be 6 VAR stoppages every game and they usually take 2-3 minutes to review.  You'd end up having 15-20 minutes of stoppages each game just for VAR checks.
1 challenge per half would limit their use massively.

Just go with the ref unless you decide to use your challenge (but if you're right you keep it). Only the ref could overturn his decision, not a team elsewhere.

Reckon it might work better. But they still need to clear up the ridiculous offside ruling.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't the rule though, even though I think it was what was originally intended when it was developed. This came up in the Aberdeen v Rangers game a few weeks ago when Ryan Hedges was sent off under similar circumstances. The rule is that you have to make "a deliberate attempt to play the ball", otherwise it should still be a red. In this case, Luiz wasn't making an attempt to play the ball, so even though the foul was accidental it is still a red card under the rules.

It didn’t look like Luiz did anything at all though.

The still I saw of it showed the Wolves players foot hitting Luiz’s knee as they were running back. Luiz’s leg was back as he was running - so not making any challenge at all. I could understand the rule applying if he made some kind of challenge but a red and a pen for simply running back to defend is crazy.

59 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Because there would be 6 VAR stoppages every game and they usually take 2-3 minutes to review.  You'd end up having 15-20 minutes of stoppages each game just for VAR checks.

There pretty much is already anyway! And at least this way it could be a situation that even fans would know what's going on. Rather than VAR seeing something that somebody else has and there's 5-10 mins delay where everyone is standing around not knowing what play has stopped for

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I genuinely thought Liverpool were so far ahead of everyone else, that they'd go on a Man united-style 3 or 4 league titles in a row, but this season has highlighted how thin their squad is.  A couple of injuries and they're back to what they were before Klopp became manager.

I think it's crazy that anybody thought they'd go on a run like that. Whilst ~I didn't expect them to falter, Man Utd never won more than 3 on the bounce and the only real challenge they had was from Arsenal.

Look at the money involved now. Not just from a player transfer point of view but from the money teams put in to analysis and scouting. To do what you're suggesting teams will have to evolve before they realise their style of play has been nullified. No team will be as dominant as Man Utd in the near future.

This isn't the rule though, even though I think it was what was originally intended when it was developed. This came up in the Aberdeen v Rangers game a few weeks ago when Ryan Hedges was sent off under similar circumstances. The rule is that you have to make "a deliberate attempt to play the ball", otherwise it should still be a red. In this case, Luiz wasn't making an attempt to play the ball, so even though the foul was accidental it is still a red card under the rules.

This. Unfortunately. It is a nonsense rule but it is the rule.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is perception or reality, but the number of utter nonsense rules (supplemented by mealy mouthed climbdowns after the fact, such as for the Rodri offside against Aston Villa) seems to be proliferating wildly since VAR was introduced. Were the laws of the game a stack of nonsense prior to this, or is it the response to minute interpretation that is causing more and more ridiculous situations to occur?

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm not entirely sure whether this is perception or reality, but the number of utter nonsense rules (supplemented by mealy mouthed climbdowns after the fact, such as for the Rodri offside against Aston Villa) seems to be proliferating wildly since VAR was introduced. Were the laws of the game a stack of nonsense prior to this, or is it the response to minute interpretation that is causing more and more ridiculous situations to occur?

They've gradually been getting worse over the last 7 or 8 years or so as IFAB have tried to move away from common sense interpretation-based rules of them towards more black and white definitions. This is probably driven by the braying simpletons amongst managers, players, the media and supporters who were unable to accept a degree of uncertainty about decisions and analysed everything to the nth degree. Unsurprisingly for anyone who has ever actually watched football or thought about the consequences of these things for more than about 5 seconds, it's actually not possible to make straightforward black and white definitions that cover every situtation without tying yourself in knots.

VAR has obviously made this worse because you're then expected to microanalyse each of the incidents which means that the little bit of subjective wiggle room that is left disappears.

They've gradually been getting worse over the last 7 or 8 years or so as IFAB have tried to move away from common sense interpretation-based rules of them towards more black and white definitions. This is probably driven by the braying simpletons amongst managers, players, the media and supporters who were unable to accept a degree of uncertainty about decisions and analysed everything to the nth degree. Unsurprisingly for anyone who has ever actually watched football or thought about the consequences of these things for more than about 5 seconds, it's actually not possible to make straightforward black and white definitions that cover every situtation without tying yourself in knots.

VAR has obviously made this worse because you're then expected to microanalyse each of the incidents which means that the little bit of subjective wiggle room that is left disappears.

It's just going to get worse, isn't it?

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
39 minutes ago, Jambomo said:
Dier by name dire by nature

He has been quietly brutal for quite a long time now. What is it that he does for his no doubt fucking enormous wage?

Mainly fouling people from what I can see. He did run off the pitch to have a shit once, that’s probably the most useful thing is can think of him ever doing tbh.