EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

17 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The interview there with Mourinho was alright tbh, he was basically saying if you have 14 players you should have to play, not postponing and not having this break that people are calling for.  These clubs must be capable of calling up 14 players, even if they are the kids.

The clubs have to nominate a squad of 25 and I think are able to top it up with academy players with necessary. If you can fashion a starting XI and a few subs, I agree the game should be played. 

Fulham's game today is off as well due to more positive tests and presumably the concern others will have it as well given close contact. Given the prevalence of the virus in London this is probably inevitable. Calling the game off in this manner is I think sensible. 

However, if games are called off due to outbreaks where players have been daft and done things like the Spurs trio, the game should be forfeited. They know their responsibilities and the game will be paused if things like this keep happening. 

9 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

I can see Sheffield United breaking the wrong sort of record this season, serious sophomore syndrome going on.

Aye, this is the first I’ve watched them this season, and it seems pretty clear why they’ve only managed 2 points so far.

I did enjoy the commentator banging on about the “fight in their team” at the start only for them to immediately concede.

17 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Sheffield United are just incredibly naive this season, Eze ran about 70 yards pretty much unchallenged to make it 2-0 just before half time. Someone had to just haul him down and take the yellow card.

I thought that as well. For all it was a decent run, he basically had to get past one half hearted attempt to stop him and that was it.

They haven’t been close to creating any chances either, which I assume is fairly normal for them this season. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

I thought that as well. For all it was a decent run, he basically had to get past one half hearted attempt to stop him and that was it.
They haven’t been close to creating any chances either, which I assume is fairly normal for them this season. 
Yep, pretty much standard for them to create next to nothing. Their forwards aren't the greatest, but they hardly see the ball in the area never mind get chances.

I can't think of a worse set of forwards in the English top flight in recent years than Sheffield United have. 

They got away with it lost season because they were strong defensively and guys like Lundstram chipped in with a few goals but it's caught up with them this season. 

Yep, pretty much standard for them to create next to nothing. Their forwards aren't the greatest, but they hardly see the ball in the area never mind get chances.
They're not the worst team in the league at creating chances (only 5th worst if you believe the xG stats) but having 4 or 5 strikers who can't score won't get you any points.

They are well on track to smash the record for most defeats by 1 goal in a season and that is a result of not being able to take chances.

3 minutes ago, true_rover said:

They're not the worst team in the league at creating chances (only 5th worst if you believe the xG stats) but having 4 or 5 strikers who can't score won't get you any points.

They are well on track to smash the record for most defeats by 1 goal in a season and that is a result of not being able to take chances.

The whole team, especially the strikers, seem to have “works hard” as their only notable attribute.

Based on today, there’s not a single player in that team who’d get in the Palace team. 

59 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Chris Wilder wouldn't start Rhian Brewster (a crazy £24 million buy!) today even with McBurnie, Sharp and Burke all out.

That sums up the state of the club atm. An absolute shambles that, on current form, will struggle to get 10 points this season.

Chris Wilder wouldn't start Rhian Brewster (a crazy £24 million buy!) today even with McBurnie, Sharp and Burke all out.
That sums up the state of the club atm. An absolute shambles that, on current form, will struggle to get 10 points this season.
Posted further up the thread that it's highly debatable if any of the signings they made actually improved the squad. Too many young players when they could have done with adding some top flight quality and experience. They looked very well organised last season, shambolic at times this season.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
17 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Posted further up the thread that it's highly debatable if any of the signings they made actually improved the squad. Too many young players when they could have done with adding some top flight quality and experience. They looked very well organised last season, shambolic at times this season.

They're missing Henderson badly. The recruitment has been appalling -  so much money wasted on mediocrity like Ramsdale.

It's unlikely that there's much left in the kitty for January. Perhaps they can get  a few loans or free agents in. 

To be honest, they're down and are just playing for pride.

They're missing Henderson badly. The recruitment has been appalling -  so much money wasted on mediocrity like Ramsdale.
It's unlikely that there's much left in the kitty for January. Perhaps they can get  a few loans or free agents in. 
Talk on commentary today about bringing Lingard in from Man Utd on loan. As if that's going to help.

Just now, peasy23 said:
3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Talk on commentary today about bringing Lingard in from Man Utd on loan. As if that's going to help.

Lingard is still young. They need someone with experience IMO