EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

2 hours ago, David W said:

Hodgson could be in charge of any team from Man City to Sheffield United and they'd have finished about 12th this season. And every season.

Hodgson has done very well on a very limited budget at Palace. His playing career was mediocre to put it mildly. Yet, overall, he's had a successful career as a manager at club and international level. Woy now looks totally knackered and I wish him a happy and healthy retirement.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

f**k knows how Werner has managed not to header that.

It is a flick on and he has pressure on his back. It isn't like he watched the ball come in a fluffed it it is just a reaction and it seemed like the ball just died on him.

The way he celebrated though. the guy must be supremely thick.

22 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm probably in the minority (or I'm Mike Dean), but I didn't think that was a penalty.

Werner didn't make any contact with the ball or attempt to play it. He basically stepped across Tielemans as Tielemans tried to play it.

I'm more than happy for someone to explain to me why I'm wrong though.

Werner is clearly in front and in position to control the ball. There are sometimes close calls where it is arguable a forward has fouled a defender attempting to clear the ball but to me it was clear cut that Tielemans control wasn't good enough and he fouled Werner.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Werner is clearly in front and in position to control the ball. There are sometimes close calls where it is arguable a forward has fouled a defender attempting to clear the ball but to me it was clear cut that Tielemans control wasn't good enough and he fouled Werner.

He didn't control the ball though. He puts his leg across the line that Tielemans is kicking through, and actually misses the ball before Tielemans makes contact

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

He didn't control the ball though. He puts his leg across the line that Tielemans is kicking through, and actually misses the ball before Tielemans makes contact

But he wasn't making a tackle or sliding. Werner was on his feet with the ball directly in front of him.

he didn't touch the ball because he was stopped by being kicked.

Are you arguing that there should be a period of time where a player going to kick a ball should not be interfered with (like a keeper kicking the ball from their hands)?

I don’t see how that matters? Tielemans does not have control of the ball and kicks Werner in the heel. At the time of the contact, of the two of them, the player most likely to have possession is Werner, he gets his body in between the opponent and the ball and then is clearly fouled.

Cannot understand how VAR didn’t give a penalty. Absolutely bizarre decision.

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Werner nips round him from the side whilst Tielemans is in the action of kicking the ball. Tielemans does have control of the ball.

It’s not that there should be time where the player isn’t interfered with but more that if the player is simply in the process of kicking the ball away, it should not be a foul.  

Edited by Jambomo

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Werner nips round him from the side whilst Tielemans is in the action of kicking the ball. Tielemans does have control of the ball.

It’s not that there should be time where the player isn’t interfered with but more that if the player is simply in the process of kicking the ball away, it should not be a foul.  

Werner had his full body in front, he hadn't just dangled a leg. Werner had control.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

2 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I don’t see how that matters? Tielemans does not have control of the ball and kicks Werner in the heel. At the time of the contact, of the two of them, the player most likely to have possession is Werner, he gets his body in between the opponent and the ball and then is clearly fouled.

Cannot understand how VAR didn’t give a penalty. Absolutely bizarre decision.

My argument would be that he causes the contact. He doesn't attempt to play the ball, he just steps across someone who is in possession and attempting to play the ball. He may be attempting to let it run across his body, but he is definitely trying to cause contact. Had he touched the ball with his left foot or actually got possession before the contact was made, then I'd agree it's a stonewaller.

I can see why it could be a penalty, and why people would argue for it, but to me what he has done is not much different to a stiker hanging a leg out running through on goal hoping to catch a defender or keeper. Again, I'm happy to be corrected if I have got this totally wrong.

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Werner had his full body in front, he hadn't just dangled a leg. Werner had control.

Werner didn’t have control, he just steps across as Tielemans is already mid-kick of the ball. I mean, I’ve seen them given but I don’t think that a foul or a pen should be given because the player is simply kicking the ball and the player puts himself in the way of it. Similar to the rescinding of Balbeuna’s red when he got sent off for catching a player mid-kick. 

Edited by Jambomo