Enshrine the Military Covenant in UK Law

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Has it not also been established that the UK does in fact control its nuclear weapons?

I didn't think so but people on here who seem to know what they're talking about say there's nothing the US could do to either stop or force a launch of a UK nuke.

P.S. If their guidance system is GPS dependent the Yanks could probably screw it up if they wanted, especially with the UK being kicked out of the EU system. No idea about the workings though. 

Edited by welshbairn

Has it not also been established that the UK does in fact control its nuclear weapons?

The missiles are American designed while the warheads are uk designed, it's an independent system. 

Controls the firing yes but not the servicing of the guidance system, why not?????

There was once a ring of massive radar stations round Europe surrounding Russia, this  provided a nuclear EWS for the USA, as I recall one giant installation built in the late fifties/ sixties was on Mormond Hill in Aberdeenshire.

US protocol was shared with the UK and in the event of an attack we would have 4 minutes warning of Russian missile release, the US would have 14 minutes.

This system is well obsolete and was replaced with satellite surveillance, add to that Nuclear missiles are not wholly land based and considering today's missiles possess greater propulsion any EWS would almost be non viable.

This is a classic example of double-checking what you are sharing/signing - at first glance it might seem reasonable but on closer inspection you realise that the instigators have an entirely different motive.

It's down there with the same type of morons who attempted (and failed) to use Lee Rigby to promote Islamophobia and to undermine BLM with their All Lives Matter shite.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's down there with the same type of morons who attempted (and failed) to use Lee Rigby to promote Islamophobia and to undermine BLM with their All Lives Matter shite.

Or as its more commonly know as, supporting Rangers*.

2 hours ago, Fistle said:

Question for OP. What's your definition of a veteran? For example would an army cook jump the housing list over a nurse, policeman, fireman etc because he peeled potatoes in Afghanistan?

Or that working on a building site is far more dangerous than a post WW2 submarine.

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I didn't think so but people on here who seem to know what they're talking about say there's nothing the US could do to either stop or force a launch of a UK nuke.

P.S. If their guidance system is GPS dependent the Yanks could probably screw it up if they wanted, especially with the UK being kicked out of the EU system. No idea about the workings though. 

The navigation is good old fashioned inertial guidance (INS Inertial Navigation System) with some help from celestial (star) sightings.

Basically means with a computer, an idea of where its starting from, some accelerometers and gyroscopes the  missile can guide itself by dead reckoning. It uses the stars as a fixed reference point to help iron out small errors in the INS. Quite old school really, and designed to be quite impervious to jamming. Since the only outside data required comes from its initial reference (start) point and it can get that from a number of sources, it doesn't need GPS, which in a peer level war is the first thing being jammed or shot down. It also means there is no active guidance like radar that you can jam either (and at reentry the missile would be more or less blind given the plasma sheath built up around it anyway)

Edited by renton

Defining a veteran is a slippery slope aswell, as soon as you do one day in Phase 1, you're then considered a veteran, know plenty that have left within the first few weeks who now have veteran status, it's all a bit mental. 

What really needs to happen is for the Government to step up it's aftercare for those that need it, it's a disgrace that there needs to be so many military charities, they shouldn't have to exist. Likewise raising money for the NHS, shouldn't be a thing. Rips my knitting. 

While I appreciate there's plenty of "People know what they sign up for, and are paid for the pleasure" I think it should absolutely be the case where the government helps those that come back from there service with life altering injuries, that shouldn't fall down on Help for Heroes or some other charity. 

That though isn't what the petition is about, there will be wasters in the armed forces, there will be some who go in, have a good time and come out a few years better with some good qualifications and experience, and there will be plenty in between, as well as that though you will have those with PTSD, missing limbs and other horrible injuries, that should be who the government are helping, likewise anyone in some public sector job, Fireman, policeman, nurse etc etc, if you're coming out of it worse than you went in you'd expect your employer to help you out. 

It shouldn't come down to thousands of fundraisers a year. 

On 17/08/2020 at 11:10, Raymond Patterson said:

Dear All

The Armed Forces Covenant makes commitments, but is currently voluntary.  The Government should make the Covenant Law and create statutory requirements for the provision of services such as housing and mental health support for veterans. Trevor Coult MC started this petition and I’m doing my bit as an ex Submariner to try and raise the 100000 signatures we require. Can I please ask you to sign the petition below. Currently over 21000 people have signed the petition.  Today the 54th Ex Service person committed Suicide.  RIP Mr Dean Corbett. 

Thanks.

Raymond

https://t.co/lJ0eAXUrRR?amp=1

Ok, I've read the covenant and had a rummage around the website. It says that it wants serving and former members of the armed forces not to be disadvantaged in the provision of public or commercial services in comparison with other citizens. The website specifically picks out: education and family well-being; having a home; starting a new career; access to healthcare; financial assistance; and discounted services.

But it doesn't say anything about in what way serving and former armed services personnel are disadvantaged. In fact, the website lists many, many support services and sources of advice that aren't open to the general public. I can think of ways in which they could be disadvantaged - they fall off the waiting lists for stuff because they have to move a lot, or they have to move their kids' schools. But I don't know if any of that happens in practice (I suspect near bases it probably doesn't), and more to the point, isn't this true of anyone with a job that might make them move regularly? I know a lot of people who work in agricultural support sectors and they get shunted around a fair bit.

Can you let me know what disadvantages serving and former armed services members face? I genuinely want to know and the website isn't much help.