Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

Subway extension - never happening 

Glasgow Tram - previous scheme in the mid 90s from Easterhouse to Maryhill (?) was binned.

Glasgow Crossrail binned early 2000s.

Airport Rail link binned mid 2000s

But, as posted above, a tram from the airport through Renfrew and Govan to the City centre then out east looks like a good, deliverable option.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Not sure if this is the right thread but a nice picture of a new tram development inNorway.

I went on the tram in Bergen a couple of years ago and every stop had it's own little tune.  I thought that was nice.

On 14/09/2020 at 13:35, GNU_Linux said:

Monorail.

I hear those things are awfully loud.

Having just trawled through all this today for the first time, I couldn't agree more about the Beeching cuts. When my grandparents got married in 1954 they went to Edinburgh from Kilmarnock for their honeymoon and I believe they were able to get a direct train going through the Irvine valley and then through Lanarkshire etc. Back then still I find it hard to get it round my head that trains from Killie to Glasgow didn't go to Central, they went to St. Enoch until Beeching's cuts. So many decent lines closed that would now be viable and would save a lot of road congestion, so I'm all for opening as many lines up as possible. 

20 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I hear those things are awfully loud.

Having just trawled through all this today for the first time, I couldn't agree more about the Beeching cuts. When my grandparents got married in 1954 they went to Edinburgh from Kilmarnock for their honeymoon and I believe they were able to get a direct train going through the Irvine valley and then through Lanarkshire etc. Back then still I find it hard to get it round my head that trains from Killie to Glasgow didn't go to Central, they went to St. Enoch until Beeching's cuts. So many decent lines closed that would now be viable and would save a lot of road congestion, so I'm all for opening as many lines up as possible. 

That was idea behind Glasgow Crossrail, trains from Ayrshire to Edinburgh without changing. Most of the infrastructure is already there. Main difference is, instead of St Enoch you'd call or get off here...

20201007_182658.jpg

I favour the introduction of a Wuppertal style suspension railway, as featured in the Wim Wnders film Alice in the Cities, which I have been watching of late.

It would be quite cool to sweep over say Buchanan Street on a Saturday night at kicking out time watching the locals make their way home.

They are quite unsightly but somehow manage to look cool. A bit like Dundee. the-wuppertal-suspension.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

That was idea behind Glasgow Crossrail, trains from Ayrshire to Edinburgh without changing. Most of the infrastructure is already there. Main difference is, instead of St Enoch you'd call or get off here...

There were direct trains from Ayr to Edinburgh with no changes. They were introduced in 2014 to help Prestwick Airport seem like a better proposition with a direct train to Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26737440

Ayr - Glasgow Central - Motherwell - Edinburgh

Perhaps a silly question, but why were trams originally phased out/punted way back whenever it was?
I'd imagine it was much like the beeching cuts which were done on the back of big promises & hopes about buses, car ownership & motorways.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Perhaps a silly question, but why were trams originally phased out/punted way back whenever it was?

Maybe not the most scientific of answers, but I think that trams were generally considered as old-fashioned and were phased out for that reason. Basically it was terrible foresight to think that trams would be bad but motor traffic was rising and the car was viewed as an expression of freedom unlike the old caurs of Glasgow and Edinburgh. I wish they'd kept them. We had a tram system in Kilmarnock from the late 1890s until around 1921/22 but it was considered a folly as they never made any money and they didn't really need them in a town of our size. You can still see the old terminus at Castle Drive off Glasgow Road as nobody ever changed the junction from a roundabout-esque configuration: https://goo.gl/maps/DfTY8oCDvYzfgNyS9

3 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

There were direct trains from Ayr to Edinburgh with no changes. They were introduced in 2014 to help Prestwick Airport seem like a better proposition with a direct train to Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26737440

Ayr - Glasgow Central - Motherwell - Edinburgh

There was talk of a possibility of trains from Kilmarnock to Glasgow Central that would then use the Motherwell line to go through to Waverley. Hasn't happened yet but could easily happen without too much bother.

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I favour the introduction of a Wuppertal style suspension railway, as featured in the Wim Wnders film Alice in the Cities, which I have been watching of late.

It would be quite cool to sweep over say Buchanan Street on a Saturday night at kicking out time watching the locals make their way home.

They are quite unsightly but somehow manage to look cool. A bit like Dundee. the-wuppertal-suspension.jpeg

The Wuppertal monorail looks absolutely class, I'd like to go there one time when I'm in Germany. Once for a publicity stunt they decided it was a smashing idea to put a baby elephant in one of the cars and let it ride the monorail - it got too scared and jumped out into the river, amazingly it survived relatively unscathed. Here's a quick vid about it, as much as it's fun and the guy seems a bit of a killjoy he's right about monorails in general not really working with the odd exception like Wuppertal.

8 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

There was talk of a possibility of trains from Kilmarnock to Glasgow Central that would then use the Motherwell line to go through to Waverley. Hasn't happened yet but could easily happen without too much bother.

Don’t know why, but I always find it weird when I’m in Edinburgh and see signs for Kilmarnock.  Makes me think of going to places with those touristy signs on a pole telling you the way to New York, Cape Town, Sydney and, errr... not Kilmarnock.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Don’t know why, but I always find it weird when I’m in Edinburgh and see signs for Kilmarnock.  Makes me think of going to places with those touristy signs on a pole telling you the way to New York, Cape Town, Sydney and, errr... not Kilmarnock.

Aye, it's a very odd one. Before the M8 the A71 would have been the quickest way to get from south-east Ayrshire (apart from the A70 to Cumnock and Ayr) but I'm surprised they didn't just change the signs to something else closer like Stonehouse or Strathaven. Don't think I'd ever go that way to Edinburgh.

10 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Aye, it's a very odd one. Before the M8 the A71 would have been the quickest way to get from south-east Ayrshire (apart from the A70 to Cumnock and Ayr) but I'm surprised they didn't just change the signs to something else closer like Stonehouse or Strathaven. Don't think I'd ever go that way to Edinburgh.

Having just had a proper assessment, I think that Strathaven may be the only Scottish town I’ve never been to.  Perhaps the A71 was Talking Heads’ inspiration for Road To Nowhere.