Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

Before this break I had the serious fear about 3 at the back but I am slowly coming round to it. We still need to work on things, but going forward there were at least 3 or 4 decent moves out of that where players really knew where they needed to be, which is progress from last month's omnishambles. McTominay looked better, McLean was excellent and Dykes with another good performance. No real failings, and delighted for Considine. We're managing to keep clean sheets with what is a really poor defence. It'll be interesting to see how he fits Christie back into this formation. 

Very content with tonight both in terms of result and performance.

Yes it isn't pretty to watch at times but the 3-5-2 is the way forward for us just now. Our defence looks way more solid just now and unlike when McLeish gave it a half arsed try, Clarke drills and briefs the players down to the finest detail on how to play it. 2 goals lost in 4 games compared to the 19 we lost in the 8 non-San Marino games of last year.

Better than that, the second half performance was actually reasonably decent. We looked a threat going forward with Fraser and SOD linking well for the goal and Robertson linking a bit better when McGregor came on too. Dykes really did well in his hold up play and McGinn was much more like his usual self. Well taken finish by Dykes who looks to be a very good find for us. Fraser was superb tonight, very good performance from him and looks to finally enjoy playing for Scotland. Even enjoyed McBurnie tonight who did well, was unlucky with his header and managed the game out superbly in injury time.

The three centre halves deserve credit tonight too. McTominay really is growing very nicely into that position, and he did well stepping out tonight. Gallagher again strolled it as did Considine, whose many European games for Aberdeen shone through tonight with the ease of which he slotted in there.

For once it is nice to have the better of the Irish in-laws watching their team try to play nice stuff and winning no games while we shitfest our way to wins.

Having panned it at half-time, that second half was a lot better. Didn't escape notice that the goal was created from a natural winger and natural full back combining, but there was actually some thought in the attacking play with chances being created from open play and the way we shithoused the game out with no panic was encouragingly competent.

I've had a complete u-turn from last month. Then, I was flummoxed as to why we were playing several players out of position but I now think Steve Clarke has fucking nailed this. Kudos.
That's the way I'm feeling too. I'm pished and aware that one bad result could flip the mood, but you've got to live for the rare moments of optimism.