Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

I would expect the play-offs to be seeded, with the Nations League teams automatically at the bottom, so even in that entirely common scenario where a team like Spain are battling it out for second place going into the final match, they would clearly want to win to make sure they don't end up paired up with anyone half-decent.

Has this been confirmed? No mention of seeding anywhere that I can see. Was our euro playoffs seeded?

Also Portugal and France have both been in World Cup playoffs recently. Even if all the A league teams did qualify we’d still need to be one of the two best placed B teams that didn’t.

We are currently joint 2nd with Wales on 7 points in that table.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Has this been confirmed? No mention of seeding anywhere that I can see. Was our euro playoffs seeded?

Also Portugal and France have both been in World Cup playoffs recently. Even if all the A league teams did qualify we’d still need to be one of the two best placed B teams that didn’t.

Yes, our play-offs were seeded based on the Nations League ranking. Every other set of UEFA play-offs in living memory have been seeded so it would be a real departure from the norm if they suddenly decided not to this time. The seedings for the actual Euros involved chucking the Nations League teams in the bottom pot, even though some of them (eg Iceland) would clearly not be a Pot 4 team if they'd qualified automatically. You can therefore see why I might come to that conclusion.

I don't think anyone is suggesting this is a nailed on play-off spot, just that people have been correcting the constant misunderstanding you seem to have about how the system works. Clearly winning our group and securing a pretty decent chance of a play-off through the Nations League is better than not winning our group and having no chance of a play-off through that mechanism.

That's before we go on to the numerous massive advantages that being a League A team for the next campaign would bring us in terms of qualification for the Euros.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

It hasn't been confirmed but UEFA would have to break from their norm of seeding playoffs for your scenario to be realistic. The Euro playoffs were seeded 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd based on finishing positions in the Nations League with Scotland being 1st.

We're not joint 2nd either, we're 2nd on goals scored.

25 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We're in serious danger of going into League A, right? That'll be a laugh.

We might get rag-dolled, but at least we'll get a glamour game or two at home. And if they do qualification for Euro2024 the same way as 2020 we're all-but guaranteed a play-off place regardless, likely against some pretty weak League C opposition too. The lowest we'd end up ranked at the end of it would be 16, which may help for other things.

A win on Wednesday opens up all kinds of possibilities for us, for the Nations League 2022-23, Euro 2024 and World Cup 2022. It's a fkn huge game. 

Happy with the result and performance was better more crosses going in the box by both the wing backs

Commenter kept banging on about players missing for Slovacks

But no mention of who we must

Cooper

Tierney

Armstrong

Christie

Burke

Palmer

Forrest

Griffiths

Jack

So all considered cracking 3 points in the bag

We might get rag-dolled, but at least we'll get a glamour game or two at home. And if they do qualification for Euro2024 the same way as 2020 we're all-but guaranteed a play-off place regardless, likely against some pretty weak League C opposition too. The lowest we'd end up ranked at the end of it would be 16, which may help for other things.
A win on Wednesday opens up all kinds of possibilities for us, for the Nations League 2022-23, Euro 2024 and World Cup 2022. It's a fkn huge game. 
That would be great news and would set us up for the next 2 campaigns
Cheers guys. Had not looked into the actual fallout from what that could mean for us.

49 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Some of our play down the left was exactly what I expect us to be doing: quick interchanges between Robertson, Fraser and often McBurnie and McGinn with one guy going beyond and pulling the ball back. Imagine how good our left side can be with Robertson, Fraser plus McGregor pulling wide and Tierney pushing up. Dykes/McBurnie and McGinn can rotate with their positions too and we'll become a really exciting attacking team to add to the sturdy defence.

There's also not enough love for SJM's performance. If you give him the ball in a counter attack then he's got a 90% chance of progressing it into the opposition's third and, if not, he'll win a foul. His vision/ideas are quite underrated too, even if he doesn't always pull it off.

I can't argue with his ability to progress the play and draw fouls, but the bit you mention about him not always pulling off his vision/ideas is key.

Across the two games recently, I think I could count around 5 instances where we should have either ended up with a shot on target or working the ball into a dangerous area but McGinn's final product was woeful.

Again, I'm not doubting his ability, but his final ball/decision making needs more work if he is going to play that role for Scotland.

39 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We're in serious danger of going into League A, right? That'll be a laugh.

You can inly get beat from tap boys if you play with trhe tap boys.

As you Slip always leaves you..

Smoke it...enjoy Inverness...

52 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's the one.

Kevin Keegan falling off his bike, Brian Jacks doing dips on the parallel bars, jackets for goalposts etc.

Did Brian Jacks get found out, cheating on the parallel bars? Seem to remember that, but might be wishful thinking on my part. 

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Did Brian Jacks get found out, cheating on the parallel bars? Seem to remember that, but might be wishful thinking on my part. 

That rings a bell of sorts.

Did he not just have a controversial method, or was that for the squat thrusts, where he took his shoes off and just slid  his feet back and forth in his socks?

I might have to investigate this now.

ETA:

Someone else invented the sliding thing for squat thrusts.  Jacks devised a "rocking" method for the dips that was much copied, but, as far as I can tell, perfectly acceptable.  He was rather an obnoxious dick though, as I recall.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 12/10/2020 at 01:03, greenockraver said:

After watching the post match coverage. We clearly have character in this team . 

Was impressed with considine on and off the pitch tonight he comes across as a guy who whilst is aware he is one part of a system, he seems confident in his ability to fulfil his task citing his experience and being surrounded by more technically adept players. 

Wee fraser also highlighted the fact that everyone wants to be in the squad at this moment. When ryan fraser is saying that you would assume its the case given recent history. 

Ryan Fraser has a history of "telling them what they want to hear"