French teacher beheaded

ICTChris

33 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Firstly. What a tit for even thinking of doin this. 

Secondly. Get religion in the fucking bin. No matter how hardcore you are or aren't, religion is for nutters. 

Wrong. Nutters quote it as an excuse for their nutterism. People with real faith aren't heard from.

The message needs to sink in: you have a right to practice your religion. 

Your do not have a right to be protected from your religion being criticised or ridiculed. Neither of these inhibit your right to practice religion and this is the price you pay for living in a liberal democracy. 

2 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

2021, and people are still employed in education to present fairy tales as lessons. Beside being a waste of time, it's quite wrong that money should be squandered in such a manner when we're led to believe there isn't enough cash going around to deal with poverty.

Religion exists and should be taught. Obviously you're using fairy tales as an insult but that's not what RE teachers do. They educate young people about what people believe, without stating their own opinion (if it is done properly).

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

2021, and people are still employed in education to present fairy tales as lessons. Beside being a waste of time, it's quite wrong that money should be squandered in such a manner when we're led to believe there isn't enough cash going around to deal with poverty.

I don't think that's quite what happens.

RE at school is a good thing. Kids are going to meet religious people in their lives and they should know what the belief systems of billions of people in the world involve. I think there's something sad in meeting a grown adult who has no idea what Buddhists believe, for example.

I don't think they're baptising kids or having them belt out a quick Shahada in the RE classes. It's just education.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Religion exists and should be taught. Obviously you're using fairy tales as an insult but that's not what RE teachers do. They educate young people about what people believe, without stating their own opinion (if it is done properly).

The problem is that, particularly down South where a lot of schools are CoE schools, that religion is taught as if it is fact, and not faith.

That's before we get into the whole debate up here about the small number of RC schools and the massive number of protestant schools.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

The problem is that, particularly down South where a lot of schools are CoE schools, that religion is taught as if it is fact, and not faith.

That's before we get into the whole debate up here about the small number of RC schools and the massive number of protestant schools.

Take your point but that's not a Religious Education class. CoE or RC schools are chosen by parents presumably because of their own faith. 

In multi denominational or international schools, all faiths are taught in a fact based way, in the sense of "this is what Islamic people believe".

Just now, jimbaxters said:

Take your point but that's not a Religious Education class. CoE or RC schools are chosen by parents presumably because of their own faith. 

In multi denominational or international schools, all faiths are taught in a fact based way, in the sense of "this is what Islamic people believe".

Not necessarily. There are huge issues with placement requests in local authorities in England which means that for many families a CoE school is the default one for where they live and another school isn't practical.

I do think you're being a tad naive if you think that's how faiths are taught in all schools. There will inevitably be some RE teachers for whom their class is nothing more than indoctrination. I've come across several myself and my own school days were the same.

22 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Not necessarily. There are huge issues with placement requests in local authorities in England which means that for many families a CoE school is the default one for where they live and another school isn't practical.

I do think you're being a tad naive if you think that's how faiths are taught in all schools. There will inevitably be some RE teachers for whom their class is nothing more than indoctrination. I've come across several myself and my own school days were the same.

I went to a supposedly non-denominational school and it was far from an impartial teaching of the various religions in RE. The school in general was clearly a Protestant school despite the nonsense “non-denominational” tag as we were forced to go to Church of Scotland services at Easter and Christmas.

We had an RE teacher who taught all faiths in regards beliefs, festivals etc. She was very good and was a damn sight more interesting than bible passage writing in primary.

52 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Why should religion be taught? 

It is still an integral part of human society and therefore children/young people should be made aware of the beliefs they will inevitably encounter.
Why should we encourage and continue to teach fictitious stories that have done nothing but lead to division in society? Surely phasing out religion would be a massive benefit to society as a whole.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It is still an integral part of human society and therefore children/young people should be made aware of the beliefs they will inevitably encounter.

It should be starved of the oxygen of publicity and its practitioners shunned as backwards morons who are holding up the progress of our species. 

That is the only context in which religion should be taught. 

48 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I can only speak for myself. I teach in an international school where we touch on various faiths and fortunately we have children from most who can talk about festivals etc.  Throughout all the lessons my opinion personal beliefs and ideology are kept to myself. This is a general approach though, like political views with Middle School / Secondary students.

Edited by jimbaxters

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

It should be starved of the oxygen of publicity and its practitioners shunned as backwards morons who are holding up the progress of our species. 

That is the only context in which religion should be taught. 

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:
6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Why should we encourage and continue to teach fictitious stories that have done nothing but lead to division in society? Surely phasing out religion would be a massive benefit to society as a whole.

Two examples of how the practising of faith is upheld as one of the last remaining areas of human society which can be so vehemently criticised. You lads would be the first to go mental if anyone was being racist or homophobic.

Religion should be taught to prevent ignorance breeding hatred. 

Take Islam for example - it would be very easy to lead people to believe that terrorism is fundamental to Islamic beliefs given the number of terrorist incidents in Western society. Through teaching what Muslims believe, you address a false narrative and stop it spreading. 

No one has to live by Islamic principles or even condone them: understanding is all thats needed. It is important to have at least a basic understanding of what people believe even if we don't agree with them.