The US Presidential election prediction thread

ICTChris

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

That would've been some nice cash, not as nice as Trump 2016 but there we go. I should make a mental note now about how skittish the betting market is for this next time and do some live bets like welshbairn says.

Only really works in such a divisive election/close as this election though. Not complaining, managed to get a few bets on Biden. Looking like a few hundred quid in my pocket. 

Just now, welshbairn said:

I bunged on 4/5 sometime late when I was pished, getting offered a decent cash in profit now. Bit tempted.

Think you're as well holding on now tbh. It's going to take something unprecedented to stop Biden taking this.

That's assuming they'll pay out when 270 is hit of course.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

According to Oddschecker the vast bulk of bets went on Trump.

Lol.

Was quite taken aback at having to explain on here a few hours back why Arizona being called for Biden would mean it should be in the bag for the Dems as long as that held up OK. Guess it revolves around what info sources you are following.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Was quite taken aback at having to explain on here a few hours back why Arizona being called for Biden would mean it should be in the bag for the Dems as long as that held up OK. Guess it revolves around what info sources you are following.

Oddschecker data will be for the whole campaign. 

Betfair turnover was around £350m around midnight. 

Edited by ayrmad

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Think you're as well holding on now tbh. It's going to take something unprecedented to stop Biden taking this.

That's assuming they'll pay out when 270 is hit of course.

Yeah, think I'll hold on.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Oddschecker data will be for the whole campaign. 

How many people would have been betting on Trump before a few hours ago when the polls had Biden up to +10% on the popular vote? There weren't many people suggesting it would be close on here and I suspect that would have been the mentality of the average punter in the UK dabbling in this.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

How many people would have been betting on Trump before a few hours ago when the polls had Biden up to +10% on the popular vote? There weren't many people suggesting it would be close on here and I suspect that would have been the mentality of the average punter in the UK dabbling in this.

It could still end up being not very close in relative terms.  Some analysts are suggesting Biden could take all the remaining toss ups.

Yeah, it’s over now I think. Just a matter of the margin.

Biden virtually certainly to take Nevada, Wisconsin and Michigan and that does the job. North Carolina will probably stay Trump.

Pennsylvania and Georgia could still go either way but it shouldn’t really matter too much. If he takes both it ends up being a relatively comfortable Electoral College win but Jesus Christ he’s made us suffer.

16 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

That would've been some nice cash, not as nice as Trump 2016 but there we go. I should make a mental note now about how skittish the betting market is for this next time and do some live bets like welshbairn says.

After being sure but bottling out in indyref I made some money on 2016 and Brexit. Guys who think they know everything because they don't hold any mainstream opinions are heavily invested in the idea that people who bet are very special geniuses, so the odds indicate what's going to happen.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'm not sure. Prices were rubbish for Trump until his goose was cooked about an hour ago. I think that's because so much money was going on him.

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yeah, it’s over now I think. Just a matter of the margin.

Biden virtually certainly to take Nevada, Wisconsin and Michigan and that does the job. North Carolina will probably stay Trump.

Pennsylvania and Georgia could still go either way but it shouldn’t really matter too much. If he takes both it ends up being a relatively comfortable Electoral College win but Jesus Christ he’s made us suffer.

Thing is, this is *exactly* what we were warned about in these states - that Trump would run up a lead before mail-in ballots were counted. Faced with reality I'm not ashamed to say I was bricking it though. At no point did I think Biden wasn't favourite, though it was looking dark for a while and it was getting marginal.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think that wee graph is number of bets rather than turnover anyway. 

He was probably a value punt at 2/1+, after the last time I certainly wouldn't have been punting on Biden at very short odds until some results were in.