Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2020-21

FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

if one was to automatically go up though you would always have one coming up and down. It doesn't work. We have to be realistic. PLaying off where 2 out of the 3 champions going up is a lot better than a farce where teams are losing so stranraer reserves would win the league to stop teams going up.

Agreed but it's not just the LL relegations it is also that any club coming down from the SPFL2 would have the certainty that they could bounce back up without the need for a play-off if they won the LL . Also any licenced Champion club from the WoS/SoS/EoS wouldn't be faced with failure at the play-offs.

It's not perfect but it does spread the goodies around! I may be being cynical but isn't that what usually gets things moving?

14 minutes ago, Dev said:

Agreed but it's not just the LL relegations it is also that any club coming down from the SPFL2 would have the certainty that they could bounce back up without the need for a play-off if they won the LL . Also any licenced Champion club from the WoS/SoS/EoS wouldn't be faced with failure at the play-offs.

It's not perfect but it does spread the goodies around! I may be being cynical but isn't that what usually gets things moving?

It doesn't have to be right but it has to make sense.

20 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's about 3 and bit months out from the LL AGM. There's been more rumblings over what's going on with B teams thanks to the profile of the full time teams. Might be another season of disappointment for anyone looking for changes to what's going on below.

Are you suggesting no proposal at AGM for increased prom/rel with tier 6 ?

On 22/02/2022 at 14:29, AlanCamelonfan said:

its that single season that they don't want. Everyone on here needs to get real and stop with what fulfils their fantasy. Realistically the South of Scotland has to drop down somehow. But if it drops down in current structure it needs to feed somewhere.

The South does not have to drop down at all. 

24 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Are you suggesting no proposal at AGM for increased prom/rel with tier 6 ?

You know i've got nothing to do with any clubs. There's now so many parties involved in the Lowland pyramid it's a bit of leaky sieve. If there's something on the cards you would have thought there would be some tangible news.

It's all well and good focusing on getting teams promoted. For the likes of the EoSFL in any given year they could see just one promoted and three down in any revamp. Which would have some trickle down effect through their divisions depending on how they handle things. So you would have thought that the LL would want to give everyone proper notice.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You know i've got nothing to do with any clubs. There's now so many parties involved in the Lowland pyramid it's a bit of leaky sieve. If there's something on the cards you would have thought there would be some tangible news.

It's all well and good focusing on getting teams promoted. For the likes of the EoSFL in any given year they could see just one promoted and three down in any revamp. Which would have some trickle down effect through their divisions depending on how they handle things. So you would have thought that the LL would want to give everyone proper notice.

I believe it is to be discussed at the next LL general meeting in March.

On 23/02/2022 at 16:05, Pyramid Watcher said:

I believe it is to be discussed at the next LL general meeting in March.

Shouldn't be too hard first of all to agree to always relegate the 16th placed club no matter if the LL loses a club on net to the SPFL. There's 35 clubs with a licence in tier 6 so no excuse for saving the bottom club.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2022 at 19:59, Ginaro said:

Shouldn't be too hard first of all to agree to always relegate the 16th placed club no matter if the LL loses a club on net to the SPFL. There's 35 clubs with a licence in tier 6 so no excuse for saving the bottom club.

35 and growing

Grenta 2008 now confirmed as finishing no higher than 17th, so there is still potential relegation for them if the pyramid playoff goes a certain way. They could still finish bottom but that relies on Vale doubling their current points tally in the remainder of the season. 

St Cuthbert Wanderers confirming there will be a licensed tier 6 champion, while Penicuik will confirm a licensed EOS champion if they win at Crossgates.

In a sensible league that would mean VOL were relegated - but we'll need to wait a few more games until Elgin are safe.

Edited by Ginaro

14 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Was looking at the current Lowland League standings earlier, I was surprised to learn that the bottom two clubs and, particularly, the bottom club, are not guaranteed relegation. Can anyone tell me why this is the case and the varying scenarios that would affect the bottom two’s survival hopes? Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Can someone post the spreadsheet of possibilities again please!

👋 Ignore the first four rows as there will always be a licensed tier 6 champion promoted from now on. Sadly I doubt the shitebags in the LL meeting removed the "no relegation" scenario so VOL can still survive until Elgin are confirmed to not be club 42 (10 pts ahead of Cowdenbeath with 6 to go).

llrelegation.JPG

Edited by Ginaro

24 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Was looking at the current Lowland League standings earlier, I was surprised to learn that the bottom two clubs and, particularly, the bottom club, are not guaranteed relegation. Can anyone tell me why this is the case and the varying scenarios that would affect the bottom two’s survival hopes? Cheers.

Simplest way to explain is with actual examples:

1) there is a scenario where say Fraserburgh go up (from HL) and Cowdenbeath come down. This means 1 club too many in LL. To resolve that bottom 2 are relegated i.e. Gretna and Vale of Leithen.

2) there is a scenario where Bonnyrigg go up and Elgin come down (to HL). This means 1 club too few in LL. To resolve that nobody gets relegated i.e. Vale of Leithen get reprieved.

Note that some other leagues - e.g. East of Scotland League - would still send Vale down in the latter scenario, and an extra club would be promoted from below... but in LL it's reprieve Vale, not an extra promotion.

Edited by HibeeJibee

19 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Might not be a bad thing for Vale of Leithen. They’re obviously playing a couple of divisions above their level, could give the club a chance to reset. On the other hand, following yesterday’s vote, I don’t see them going up anytime soon, especially with the strength of the East and West.

The only positive thing about VOL staying up would be the boost to everyone else's goal difference.