Stanley Baxter Outs Himself

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's the bit were he said he didn't want to be gay, that's what is incredibly sad that he never felt comfortable with himself

Society has much to answer for.

Fùck the individuals and institutions who to this day try to make gay people feel inferior or guilty because of their sexuality.

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

It’s been a while since he was linked with a premier club, is he still managing in Finland? While we’re at it where’s jimmy Calderwood?

Not sure if I'm being whooshed but Jimmy Calderwood was a director at Cowdenbeath a few seasons ago but unfortunately has dementia now.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Society has much to answer for.

Fùck the individuals and institutions who to this day try to make gay people feel inferior or guilty because of their sexuality.

Like you say still happens. One of my pals is subject to the most horrific homophobic abuse playing football and the referees dont care.

Even on this site you can use the most horrific words to describe people of colour or gay people but great care has gone into making sure sectarian abuse won't be seen on the forum by using the swear filter.

59 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

More likely people will judge him for having a wife for over 50 years, rather than him being gay.

It's a fairly modern concept that you can't be happily married to a woman while having a bit of cock on the side. You might have to go back a fair bit to find it openly recognised though.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Like you say still happens. One of my pals is subject to the most horrific homophobic abuse playing football and the referees dont care.

Even on this site you can use the most horrific words to describe people of colour or gay people but great care has gone into making sure sectarian abuse won't be seen on the forum by using the swear filter.

Do not totally agree with the second paragraph.  I do not think racism is accepted on here; homophobia, sexism and ageism on the other hand...

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Do not totally agree with the second paragraph.  I do not think racism is accepted on here; homophobia, sexism and ageism on the other hand...

I don't think it's accepted, sorry I should have made that clear. But it seems odd have a swear filter that doesn't pick up on some horrendous terms.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I don't think it's accepted, sorry I should have made that clear. But it seems odd have a swear filter that doesn't pick up on some horrendous terms.

Maybe more difficult to pick up compared to ***.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe more difficult to pick up compared to ***.

Probably after that court case the site's mods shat the bed and went full "*" and I'm assuming no-one has had a court case about being called a "" on an online forum. The day that happens it will become "******"

Edited by 101
Actually wasn't 100% sure that would show up so I've taken it out, utterly wild

He was "outed" at the release of Kenneth Williams diary's but it looks like he has came out again to promote the book.

He has lived through a time where his sexuality could have led to imprisonment and being ostracized from society, the majority of his career was when there was at most, three TV channels and to be on any of them immediately made you a household name. 

Even in to the 80's the only gay or perceived gay men on TV and film were the camp John Inman, Larry Grayson type or the butch predator of the Blue Oyster bar in the Police academy films. Lesbians didn't exist. To come out in those times, you would be almost immediately bracketed as one of them. 

I would guess that only now, he is happy to properly talk about it. 

Not sure if I'm being whooshed but Jimmy Calderwood was a director at Cowdenbeath a few seasons ago but unfortunately has dementia now.

It wasn’t a funny joke, Stuart Baxter and jimmy were constantly linked to every job going... and the thread is about Stanley Baxter.

Never knew that about Jimmy though, horrible disease.

13 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Reading the article on this in today's Herald (not available online) it's safe to say he didn't swap Xmas cards with Rikki Fulton.

I'm wondering how many people did

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-herald-1130/20150727/281513634853727

"..less pleasant characters in the business such as Rikki Fulton.."

If I was born in to that generation I'd have stayed in the closet too, like many others did.

Nowadays no one really cares and there's such a difference even from when i came out in the 90s. 

We've certainly come along way but I don't think we're at the "no one really cares" stage yet unfortunately.

For me, I really don't care about people's sexuality and I always find it sad that gay people need to 'come out' and I say that as a pop at society. People don't have to announce they are heterosexual so why should the LGBT community have to. My brother 'came out' years ago but had he come home with his first boyfriend and not already told us he was gay we wouldn't have been furious that he hadn't told us.

I'm probably explaining that horrifically.

And to slightly contradict what I've just said, the fact no footballers feel comfortable to announce they're gay is a sad state as well. The reality is there is still a lot of homophobia in the country and if a footballer came out you can bet your life there would still be pond life within our game who would direct homophobic slurs their way.

Thankfully the law is at least far better in this day and age with regards to homosexuality.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

To slightly contradict what I've just said, the fact no footballers feel comfortable to announce they're gay is a sad state as well. The reality is there is still a lot of homophobia in the country and if a footballer came out you can bet your life there would still be pond life within our game who would direct homophobic slurs their way.

Considering players directed the most awful abuse at a player with a history of mental health issues and nothing was done by the SFA and nothing public was done by the union then it's pretty clear to see why no one would put themselves through that. I actually think other players would be worse than fans, sadly.

I also think that a gay player would be put on a pedestal and I think that would be uncomfortable. I would be proud that a Dunfermline player felt supported to come out but couldn't care less if they were straight, bi or gay.