The official President Biden thread.

Brother Blades

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

They'll say, "well, she can give it up for adoption".

Because they're a bunch of fucking sociopaths.

There is a brilliant clip (cannot find it again) where a reporter is at one of the protests about abortion outside a clinic and he asked all the folk holding banners with 'adoption is an option' how many kids they had adopted and not one had or had any intention to. They have no real thought beyond what the right media tell them to think.

Their perception is thst these women are out shagging all over the place and when they end up pregnant go to a clinic in as normal a way as going to a pharmacy, which is so far removed from the reality is it gets, but they will never see that.

In 2022 when a western country removes rights from its citizens and signals that more is to come, you have to wonder how long the status quo can last.

You can genuinely see either a soft civil was in the US or some States looking for form so sort of union within a union.

I'm of the view that the tradition view if what defines a country will not exist in 100 years. Physical borders and laws become less defined when you have a global society that is more physically connected and 'virtual connected' than ever before. Realistically, is California more connected to say other Pacific nations or progressive nations than say Arkansas....

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

They'll say, "well, she can just send it to school and hope for the best worst".

Because they're a bunch of fucking sociopaths.

FTFY

Yes I know that’s incredibly bad taste but so is the whole abortion/gun control/mass shooting thing.

Stolen from Ricky Gervais, who I may add I’m not a huge fan of, but some truth in it.

these evangelicals are all about the rights of that foetus, from conception, right up till the point it turns out to be gay. 

As an aside, @carpetmonster are there certain qualifications required to be a justice in the Supreme Court? Ie - have served as a judge?

The folk imagining another civil war in America are forgetting that a substantial slice of the populace have been raised to believe that, whatever happens in America, it's always going to be better than anything outside of it.

The people opposed to the religious authoritarian regime that will - let's be honest - run the country for the foreseeable future are going to have to learn from the dirty tricks and techniques used by the Republicans if they ever want to have a chance of changing any of this. They'd better do it fast too, as it's only going to be made even more difficult for them from now on. Frankly, I think it's already too late.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The folk imagining another civil war in America are forgetting that a substantial slice of the populace have been raised to believe that, whatever happens in America, it's always going to be better than anything outside of it.

The people opposed to the religious authoritarian regime that will - let's be honest - run the country for the foreseeable future are going to have to learn from the dirty tricks and techniques used by the Republicans if they ever want to have a chance of changing any of this. They'd better do it fast too, as it's only going to be made even more difficult for them from now on. Frankly, I think it's already too late.

Also, the backwards folks in the southern states are pretty much armed to the teeth.

28 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Stolen from Ricky Gervais, who I may add I’m not a huge fan of, but some truth in it.

these evangelicals are all about the rights of that foetus, from conception, right up till the point it turns out to be gay. 

As an aside, @carpetmonster are there certain qualifications required to be a justice in the Supreme Court? Ie - have served as a judge?

Technically no.  In theory anyone could be appointed.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/faq_general.aspx

Lots of public servants in America can be elected with no actual qualifications for the role.  Judges, coroners and the like.

3 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Also, the backwards folks in the southern states are pretty much armed to the teeth.

Aye, and now they have no need to leave, merely continue to have laws changed and make it virtually impossible to be changed back.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Lots of public servants in America can be elected with no actual qualifications for the role.  Judges, coroners and the like.

I posted this about elected coroners a while ago, but it's worth doing so again as it's fucking hilarious/terrifying if you live in certain American states.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Technically no.  In theory anyone could be appointed.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/faq_general.aspx

Ok, so if the majority of Americans are pro-gun restrictions & abortion rights. Biden should just appoint every citizen to the Supreme Court. 

4 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Got to think that the states that bring in anti abortion laws will be opening themselves up to court cases that they should be paying child support as soon as pregnancy is confirmed?

There’s also the issue that a child born on American soil is automatically an American citizen. If they’re going to take life as beginning at conception then I’d imagine they could be challenged if they deported anyone undocumented and pregnant. Incels should get themselves to the American side of the Rio Grande pronto. 

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

Left Back covered it, but basically no. Amy Coney Island or whatever the f**k her name is is spectacularly unqualified - she only actually worked as a judge for 3 years and only in an appeals court - she’s never actually presided on a hearing. Meanwhile Ketanji Brown Jackson is spectacularly overqualified compared to any of her peers but she can’t be confirmed in 10 minutes flat and has to sit and listen to Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz witter utter pish at her for a week because she’s democrat/Black/both. 

15 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

His administration are terrible. Hopefully people see it come November.

And do what? Vote to give the Republicans back the House and Senate? Joey may indeed be a bit pish but it’s a binary choice of bit pish/fascism. 

2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Ok, so if the majority of Americans are pro-gun restrictions & abortion rights. Biden should just appoint every citizen to the Supreme Court. 

Biden will do what his corporate masters tell him just like he has every day of his political life the neoliberal scumbag.

7 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Politicians need to be held accountable. 

Just because MAGA was awful doesn’t mean Dems should rule unchecked for 1000 years.

Why are you saying ‘was’? You don’t think DeSantis, Cruz or Hawley would have policy just as vicious and regressive as Trump - and would stand a much better chance of enacting them, given they aren’t as thick as shite and the Supreme Court is now entirely corrupt? The GOP is an existential threat to democracy.

Holding the Dems accountable means voting for the non-machine, progressive candidate in primaries and then holding your nose in the general should that candidate not get the tip. The GOP are very much in the process of ratfucking the country so that they can rule unchecked for 1000 years. 

45 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Why are you saying ‘was’? You don’t think DeSantis, Cruz or Hawley would have policy just as vicious and regressive as Trump - and would stand a much better chance of enacting them, given they aren’t as thick as shite and the Supreme Court is now entirely corrupt? The GOP is an existential threat to democracy.

Holding the Dems accountable means voting for the non-machine, progressive candidate in primaries and then holding your nose in the general should that candidate not get the tip. The GOP are very much in the process of ratfucking the country so that they can rule unchecked for 1000 years. 

I don’t watch MSNBC so I’m not so fatalistic.

I’m a left centrist and being progressive is important to me but so is running the country well and that is something the Dems are not doing well rn. 

If they lose the House and Senate then they’ve lost the voters and it’s their own fault. 

Just now, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I don’t watch MSNBC so I’m not so fatalistic.

I’m a left centrist and being progressive is important to me but so is running the country well and that is something the Dems are not doing well rn. 

If they lose the House and Senate then they’ve lost the voters and it’s their own fault. 

I don’t have cable so I’m not sure of MSNBC’s position. 

In what way do you think the Dems aren’t running the country well, particularly say, in comparison to the previous admin? 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

I'm not aiming this at you, but why are Republican presidents always the most evil powerful men in the world while Democrat presidents are always 'lol, sorry my hands are tied, I can't do anything about this'

13 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I'm not aiming this at you, but why are Republican presidents always the most evil powerful men in the world while Democrat presidents are always 'lol, sorry my hands are tied, I can't do anything about this'

Oh no, absolutely, the Dems at Federal level are f**k useless. I get that America is hideously fractured at the moment but unfortunately ‘reaching across the aisle’ just isn’t something that can be done until the GOP in it’s current form is down away with. 

We’re quite lucky in Illinois - Chicago is big enough that we could spend the Trump years mostly ignoring him entirely - and we have a genuinely good Dem Governor in JB Pritzker who’s done everything he campaigned on and a few more common sense things besides - the most recent one being that upon learning Chicago has no sort of witness protection program he’s started one up. Whether that does much to up our homicide clearance rate of 12-15% remains to be seen, given the Chicago PD are the most useless organization not headed (currently at least) by Neil Doncaster, but it’s worth trying. 

Do I think there’s something more sinister going on? Let Republicans get the ‘credit’ for doing the evil shit?  Possibly. Immigration reform so far being limited to Title 42 being ended is more than a little disappointing. But at the moment it’s turd sandwich vs turd sandwich that also stabs you in the face. 

Edited by carpetmonster