The official President Biden thread.

Brother Blades

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I can't believe they'd let Biden run again, you just have to hope that Kamala Harris has realised her limitations and they find someone else to run.

I might be wrong here, but I don't think the Americans have deselected a sitting president since the 19th century.

I suppose anything's possible, but it seems unlikely unless someone can persuade a career politician that, having finally landed the big job, it would be in everybody's best interests that he retire halfway through. He doesn't seem the type to listen to that kind of malarkey.

But if so, there's bound to be a worse candidate out there that they could choose and, gosh darn it, I have faith in the Democratic Party to find them.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I might be wrong here, but I don't think the Americans have deselected a sitting president since the 19th century.

I suppose anything's possible, but it seems unlikely unless someone can persuade a career politician that, having finally landed the big job, it would be in everybody's best interests that he retire halfway through. He doesn't seem the type to listen to that kind of malarkey.

But if so, there's bound to be a worse candidate out there that they could choose and, gosh darn it, I have faith in the Democratic Party to find them.

LBJ changed his mind about running against Nixon in 68 after losing party support.. I expect moves will begin to find a replacement after the midterms.

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

Fair way off yet, but any idea who's likely to be the popular Democrat candidate that the party hierarchy fights against in 2024?

To be fair to them, anyone is a step up from Sleepy Joe 💤

Any semi-normal candidate such as Tulsi Gabbard won’t get a look in, due to the Wokerati’s strong influence.

Fun times ahead 🤭

Red wave at the mid terms anyway 🌊 

On 08/07/2022 at 21:25, Ervin H Burrell said:

From the full transcript. Never trust the Daily Wire.

One of the most extraordinary parts of the decision, in my view, is the majority writes, and I quote, “Women…” — it’s a quote now, from the majority — “Women are not without electoral or political power. It is noteworthy that the percentage of women who registered to vote and cast a ballot is consistently higher than the percentage of the men who do so.” End of quote.

Let me repeat the line: “Women are not without electoral…” and/or political — “or” — let me be precise; not “and/or” — “…or political power.” 

That’s another way of saying that you, the women of America, can determine the outcome of this issue. 

On 25/06/2022 at 19:24, carpetmonster said:

Oh no, absolutely, the Dems at Federal level are f**k useless. I get that America is hideously fractured at the moment but unfortunately ‘reaching across the aisle’ just isn’t something that can be done until the GOP in it’s current form is down away with. 

We’re quite lucky in Illinois - Chicago is big enough that we could spend the Trump years mostly ignoring him entirely - and we have a genuinely good Dem Governor in JB Pritzker who’s done everything he campaigned on and a few more common sense things besides - the most recent one being that upon learning Chicago has no sort of witness protection program he’s started one up. Whether that does much to up our homicide clearance rate of 12-15% remains to be seen, given the Chicago PD are the most useless organization not headed (currently at least) by Neil Doncaster, but it’s worth trying. 

Do I think there’s something more sinister going on? Let Republicans get the ‘credit’ for doing the evil shit?  Possibly. Immigration reform so far being limited to Title 42 being ended is more than a little disappointing. But at the moment it’s turd sandwich vs turd sandwich that also stabs you in the face. 

Chicago’s Mayor is a bit of a numpty though…

On 09/07/2022 at 15:33, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Politico magazine are pushing for Jon Stewart to run if Biden does not. I don’t know anything about Stewart other than he’s really short and he ran that shite comedy show.

If slavvers Biden can be President then does the job even matter? 

Jon Stewart would be a great politician. Only thing is, much like how they say ‘Craig’ i despise the way they say ‘Stewart’. 

52 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Chicago’s Mayor is a bit of a numpty though…

She takes more heat than she deserves. She started off well by telling Ed Burke and Ray Lopez they could f**k off any time they liked, but the bits that made her a good prosecutor don’t necessarily lend themselves to being able to run a city. 

She just doesn’t have political instincts. She continues to shovel money hand over fist at the Chicago PD, who are the most useless shower of pish ever shat out, which means the progressives don’t like her and the cops hate her by default because she’s Black and queer. I know you are a cop, and it’s not a dig at you, but do look up John Catanzara, head of the Chicago FOP, who’s had so many complaints and charges on him he wouldn’t actually be allowed to work a Chicago beat, even if his QAnon believing lardy arse could. They’ve basically been on soft strike since former officer Jason Van Dyke was sent down for murdering Laquan McDonald. 

She has put a lot of money into the south and west sides, which has been sorely needed for 30 years, and will likely be needed for another 30 as previous admins have focused very heavily on downtown. This, however, does not win votes as folks aren’t interested in long-term strategies, they want instant gratification goddammit. That, and the well-heeled white northsiders who fund political campaigns literally don’t go to these areas, and in many cases don’t care. The tragedy of Chicago (and many other US cities) is it’s been brutally redlined, and absolutely on purpose. I count as ethnic diversity where I live because I’ve got a funny accent. She’ll likely be re-elected this year because the other candidates thus far are pretty dismal. Mayor of Chicago is a pretty thankless job - the city is always going to be the boogeyman for the right wing press - Fox News viewers are very attuned to ‘Chicago’ meaning ‘Black people, who are scary’ - and she’s had some good ideas, just not the chops to carry them off. I suspect she’ll be viewed more kindly a decade down the line. 

We did luck out on Governors tho - Pritzker is genuinely good, has done everything he campaigned on and a few more common sense things besides. When he announced he was running I figured he was just a rich guy buying the Statehouse but he’s been excellent. I can potentially see him running for President, and certainly US senate if Dick Durban ever retires. 

Anyhow, here endeth today’s Illinois politics lesson that nobody asked for. 

14 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Pritzker is genuinely good, has done everything he campaigned on and a few more common sense things besides. When he announced he was running I figured he was just a rich guy buying the Statehouse but he’s been excellent. I can potentially see him running for President, and certainly US senate if Dick Durban ever retires. 

Cant think of many other impressive democrats, you can get 40/1 on him being the Dem nominee, 80/1 on the presidency, both with Paddy Power and for 2024.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Cant think of many other impressive democrats, you can get 40/1 on him being the Dem nominee, 80/1 on the presidency, both with Paddy Power and for 2024.

I think timing might just be out for him. While his gun control stance is impressive, it means f**k all when Illinois is surrounded by 3 states with some of the slackest gun laws in the country. That, and when Chicago *did* ban handguns in the early 2000s, the Supreme Court intervened to strike it down. Likewise, he was the first to cap out of pocket costs on insulin, but a load of other states have done that in his wake, and I don’t think he made enough of it at the time. Newsom’s absolutely stolen that thunder now by saying CA is going to make their own. 

Still, if there’s another massacre in the lead up to the primaries (and there will be), JB can point to the fact he’s been calling for assault weapons to be banned consistently and for a long time. Then let’s see if America has finally had enough. I’m prepared to be disappointed. 

22 minutes ago, steve55 said:

The situation in Ukraine is getting stranger:

Do you ever check anything you post?

In another call supposedly dated Nov. 16, 2016, shortly after Donald Trump was elected president, Biden encouraged Poroshenko to take action on Ukraine’s undercapitalized PrivatBank to avoid trouble with the new U.S. president.

The bank, the largest lender in Ukraine, would be nationalized from its previous owners, oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky and his business partner, just a month later and the government would discover a $5.5 billion hole in its ledgers due to insider loans.

In the call, Biden termed Kolomoisky a “pain in the ass,” and told Poroshenko to set a date to take action on PrivatBank in order to receive a new tranche of aid from the International Monetary Fund (IMF). He termed this a matter of “economic as well as physical security” for Ukraine.

“I don’t want Trump to get into the position where he thinks that he’s about to buy onto a policy where the financial system is going to collapse and he’s going to be looked to to pour more money into Ukraine,” Biden said. “That’s how he’ll think about it before he gets sophisticated enough to know the details. 

In April 2017, Ukraine would receive $1 billion in aid from the IMF.

But Biden’s comments on Trump would prove to be surprisingly prescient. In summer 2019, Trump would temporarily halt aid to Ukraine in an attempt to extract an investigation into Biden from President Volodymyr Zelensky. That would serve as one of the events that would lead to his impeachment in December.

https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/ukrainian-mp-releases-biden-poroshenko-call-recordings-spouts-absurd-conspiracy-theory.html

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, steve55 said:

The situation in Ukraine is getting stranger:

I dinnae want to be rude, but I live in the US and can confirm that OAN exists for one reason - to rip money out of morons. 

I mean CNN/MSNBC/Fox, they're just opinion networks for idiots. That's fine. But OAN is for the real cretins. The ones that'd send $10 to the gorilla channel.

Edited by JamieThomas

• 2 weeks later...

God bless credulous Steve. One of these is bound to be true someday, but in the meantime it's nice to get a glimpse into the crazy size of the internet without having to actually go looking.

I was literally watching a video of Sleepy Joe* from February when I read @Theroadlesstravelled's post above, and his eyes were very clearly blue, so the Deep State had him replaced sometime after then.

image.png.b511b7d3bb31212696b9e7ca8ee7cdf5.png

* tough, but I got there in the end; thanks for asking.