Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Where do you want to start with short-term thinking in the Lawwell era?

You could mention the cost-cutting that saw them only build a reduced-size indoor training pitch at Lennoxtown, making it essentially useless for match preparation when it's needed.

Or the failure to invest in a global recruitment network while in a position of complete dominance at home and with no viable challenger. Their recruitment is miles behind similarly-sized and even smaller clubs.

Or having Lawwell act as defacto DoF instead of being a modern club and getting an expert in to do the job.

Or hiring Neil Lennon as full-time manager on the assumption that he'd be just good enough to win a TIAR that is of little genuine consequence instead of having an actual vision for what they want to achieve and who they need to get them there. The fact that they only hired him after winning the cup confirms that this was essentially done on a whim and confirms a total lack of strategy.

Short-termism and short-term balance sheet success has dominated at Celtic in a time when they should have been investing in building the club. They're way behind where they should be as a result.

Indeed it is, we should be light years ahead of Rangers.

We had an opportunity during the BR tenure where we were breaking through the 100mil mark in terms of revenue. At that point our focus should have been strengthening to get better results in the Champions League and by doing that and strengthening accordingly with that as our long term goal would have seen us comfortably out in front and hopefully by now getting some better results in Europe

We didn’t we settled for coming 1st in Scotland and somehow managed to f**k that too.

58 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

We had an opportunity during the BR tenure where we were breaking through the 100mil mark in terms of revenue. At that point our focus should have been strengthening to get better results in the Champions League and by doing that and strengthening accordingly with that as our long term goal would have seen us comfortably out in front and hopefully by now getting some better results in Europe

We didn’t we settled for coming 1st in Scotland and somehow managed to f**k that too.

Agree, We should have also been playing the best young players we have as they come up to the first team, we will never find out who can make it and who cant if we never play them and let them learn whenever possible at that level

4 hours ago, AJF said:

I think you're right for the most part here in that Celtic need to think longer-term. The issue the club faces with this approach is that over the course of the last 4/5 years, the fanbase has developed a sense of entitlement on the back of a period of sustained success and I don't think the majority will settle for another season like the one we just had even if there are signs that they are planning longer term.

If you then add in the fact that the league winners for the coming season gain automatic Champions League group stage qualification and the riches that brings, then there is another element of urgency added into the mix.

If you bangers can give Gerrard 3 years to win one trophy then I’m sure we’ll manage too. 

Agree, We should have also been playing the best young players we have as they come up to the first team, we will never find out who can make it and who cant if we never play them and let them learn whenever possible at that level

Don’t worry lads, you’ll have a clearer idea after a season of them playing university teams and boys clubs next year [emoji106]

3 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

If you bangers can give Gerrard 3 years to win one trophy then I’m sure we’ll manage too. 

Maybe, but after seeing the mobs and protests outside Celtic Park earlier this season I'm not entirely convinced.

Edited by AJF

3 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

I just applied to remortgage my house. I've a mate who works in the gambling industry & he reckons DUNDEE will have the longest odds in next season's Premiership. I'm lumping it all on the Dark Blues because, as I've just learned: We all start on zero next season. Free money.

Aye, Badger. There's nothing like an Old Firm thread to console oneself that, no matter how bat-shite crazy things are in the political arena, there are huge numbers of people even more mentally disturbed than any Scottish or UK politician. Fortunately they're not interested in politics. Well, not if they're fae Glesca.

For what it's worth, The Dee will likely be faves for relegation next term. I'm not so sure, as I expect them to find their usual collection of banknotes down the back of the sofa this summer. I'd reckon 11/8 Dundee, 9/4 Ross, 7/1 Arabs, 7/1 St.Mirren, 10/1 Well, 12/1 Livi, 25/1 Sainties and a daft 33/1 Hearts. Spoonburners & Sheep will still be 100/1.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth
Spellchecker typo

20 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Even you don't believe that will happen. 

Totally different landscape from when Gerrard took over us as well. We have only kept two players that we had then and at that point our revenue was about a 3rd of yours. Yes, you have a rebuild but it's not on that scale.

I doubt a manager would last the season with you if he didn't win the league next season. Maybe you'd surprise us there though.

12 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Totally different landscape from when Gerrard took over us as well. We have only kept two players that we had then and at that point our revenue was about a 3rd of yours. Yes, you have a rebuild but it's not on that scale.

I doubt a manager would last the season with you if he didn't win the league next season. Maybe you'd surprise us there though.

The amount of time given to someone will probably depend on who we are able to retain and secondly the size of the transfer budget available and more importantly how its spent

We have been here before and turned it around but there are too many unknowns just now to even begin to speculate on how much time someone will be given, Christ we dont even have a manager yet 😂

4 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Because we start at zero next season.

Ah, zero what though?

Number of right backs in the squad?

Number of competent goalkeepers?

Number of sellable assets not wanting away and going into the last year of their contracts?

Chances of getting into the Champions League?

Percentage of battery left on Gavin Strachan's laptop?

What zero are you referring to exactly?

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

Like everything else, time will tell. If there are notable signs of improvement then I think he’ll get the time. If not then the fans will chase him.

35 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Ah, zero what though?

Number of sellable assets not wanting away and going into the last year of their contracts?

Credibility? 

35 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Ah, zero what though?

Im in agreement with all of the above but this has also pissed me off a bit.

@admins how do u green and red dot a post at the same time?

4 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Just think, you would be going for 11IAR and an unprrrecedented sextuple trrreble, comrrrades.

6 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic are still in a position of strength on the park and off the park. 

John McEnroe

The new manager is going to have to put together , virtually , a new team

The rangers have got a good , settled side and although might sell some players , having been bringing others in