Queen of the South v The Caley

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I didn't see the game on tv (though saw a bit of the Rae interview). Thought it was a lazy filler to be honest from the BBC. The game was 12 years ago and had no relevance to an Inverness game. Davie loves it though and milks it.

It was a lazy filler and the main tenuous link was Billy Dodds who was interviewed about his memories of the cup final. Rae was rolled on at the end of the main piece.

This, absolutely this ....... and of course SD will have a much better clue here than most ....... for all that AJ never really impresses me as a manager/coach, it's as clear as night and day that he's been dealt a pretty weak hand in terms of budget this season ........ and that will be his Get Out of Jail Free card at the end of the season ........ whether that card has any value left by the end of the season only time will tell.
It's not a get out of jail free card for me. He would have known it was going to be a tight budget before he signed so for him to be surprised by this is a cop out. He's mentioned budget restraints before and I'm already sick of it. If anything he's possibly been given a wee bit more with the Dykes sell on fee.

He had one of the biggest budgets in the league at Dunfermline and made an arse of it there as well. The reality is AJ is completely out of his depth at this level regardless of budget.

Would the budgets between ICT and ourselves be too different if you take the money we got* for Lyndon into account?  

*If we've received it yet. And obviously if we were given it all to spend on players of course. 

Edited by FrankReynolds

1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

Would the budgets between ICT and ourselves be too different if you take the money we got* for Lyndon into account?  

*If we've received it yet. And obviously if we were given it all to spend on players of course. 

Nope... 

If not AJ should have used his budget better then, cause he had better players here last year that didn't get a contract this year... 
Lets not romanticise last season's squad now. They were as equally pish as this lot.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:
If not AJ should have used his budget better then, cause he had better players here last year that didn't get a contract this year... 

Lets not romanticise last season's squad now. They were as equally pish as this lot.

The squad we had early last season was a fair bit better than this season's shower IMHO. it wasn't great by any means but the January departures of McCrorie, Brownlie and El Bak definitely weakened it significantly. All 3 of those would improve the current squad a fair bit. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

8 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The squad we had early last season was a fair bit better than this season's shower IMHO. it wasn't great by any means but the January departures of McCrorie, Brownlie and El Bak definitely weakened it significantly. All 3 of those would improve the current squad a fair bit. 

It was a comment about guys that were specifically not given contracts though. None of them deserved one, and the one that was brought back shouldn't have been either.

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It was a comment about guys that were specifically not given contracts though. None of them deserved one, and the one that was brought back shouldn't have been either.

Fair enough.

I just read it as comparing last season and this season's squad. 

Maybe I've taken it out of context. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Aye, remember when we used to take three points from ten games and lose five in a row at home? Those were the days.

56 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Just waiting for the obligatory pining for a below average centre back that hasn't been able to find work in the game since.

It's perfectly clear we already had that. 🙄

vvvvvvv

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Personally I'd have kept Connor Murray in a heartbeat, would have been happy enough to keep Mercer and Lyon and when we're clearly short of centre halves, even without raking over the Semple issue yet again, Kilday would have done a job. I'd also have been happy to keep a hold of Jack Hamilton if Livi were letting him out on loan again which they eventually did.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Perhaps my poor wording in my post MT but I think you're putting 2 and 2 together there and getting 5.  I wasn't trying to say that the media were implying that DR has no love for the club.  How could they, it's clear as day he loves his club.  I think my point was that the media like to take advantage of the easy/lazy journo opportunity and roll out the slightly eccentric old fermer runs fitba club routine.  That said, I get that it was on the back of a retro piece on the 2008 cup final so to that extent it fitted in well.  But they could just as easily have interviewed Billy Hewitson and asked about the challenges of running a provincial full-time championship club in the middle of an unprecedent pandemic.  The DR piece just irked me a bit because its how the central belt thinks of Queens ..... "hicks from the sticks". - I know, I live and work in the central belt these days.  I've no issue with DR - think he's a great guy and Queens have been lucky to have him around.

Totally agree.

It wasn't him that was stereotyped though.  It was the rest of us, via him.

It was just a filler, but it was a lame and irrelevant one.  Without wishing to be too unkind about the old goat, it does neither him or anyone favours to have him given a platform. 

Personally I'd have kept Connor Murray in a heartbeat, would have been happy enough to keep Mercer and Lyon and when we're clearly short of centre halves, even without raking over the Semple issue yet again, Kilday would have done a job. I'd also have been happy to keep a hold of Jack Hamilton if Livi were letting him out on loan again which they eventually did.
Can't say I'd have been disappointed if any of those mentioned had stayed. I still don't think we'd have been any better off though.

Gibson has been one of our best performers at RB. Mercer was never one for laying on chance after chance for our attacks. I wouldn't take Murray over Shields or Fitzpatrick now. Lyon was a good versatile player but I didn't think he was one who would ever boss the middle of the park. Kilday was decent enough but we still conceded ridiculous goals when he was here. I would take him over Buchanan but that's more a reflection on him tbh.

Hamilton would be the one I'd choose there only because it would possibly mean Dobbie could have some height near him.

Can't say I'd have been disappointed if any of those mentioned had stayed. I still don't think we'd have been any better off though.

Gibson has been one of our best performers at RB. Mercer was never one for laying on chance after chance for our attacks. I wouldn't take Murray over Shields or Fitzpatrick now. Lyon was a good versatile player but I didn't think he was one who would ever boss the middle of the park. Kilday was decent enough but we still conceded ridiculous goals when he was here. I would take him over Buchanan but that's more a reflection on him tbh.

Hamilton would be the one I'd choose there only because it would possibly mean Dobbie could have some height near him.

Presumably you aren’t saying Gibson is laying on chance after chance. If he is I must have missed that. He’s done ok at RB but he was dire last night. I’d agree Kilday is less shite than either of our current CBs but that really is damned by the faintest of faint praise. I like Shields and I’d take him before Murray but would rather we had both. Fitzpatrick clearly has ability but he’s been a huge disappointment thus far. Agree re Hamilton.

Presumably you aren’t saying Gibson is laying on chance after chance. If he is I must have missed that. He’s done ok at RB but he was dire last night. I’d agree Kilday is less shite than either of our current CBs but that really is damned by the faintest of faint praise. I like Shields and I’d take him before Murray but would rather we had both. Fitzpatrick clearly has ability but he’s been a huge disappointment thus far. Agree re Hamilton.
No I'm not suggesting Gibson does it either just that Mercer wouldn't be adding anything more to our attack than Gibson currently is IMO.

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Gibson at right back  what  hell was he doing for the 1st goal stood with his hands up like he had gave up .Did he ever get close enough to Kennedy to make a tackle the whole game.

When playing against someone like Kennedy you must be tight on him not stand off him and watch him play .

Friday night was actually a pretty quiet performance by Kennedy compared to previous outings this season. What a player he is though. Hopefully he does sign a new deal at Rangers as I feel that would be our best chance of keeping him past January.

MacGregor was also outstanding as well. He says he prefers playing as a "10" but he's had two excellent games playing as an "8" alongside another superb performer in midfield Allardice who was probably the most "meh" signing of the summer yet now he is probably the first name on the team sheet.

Defending was pretty ropey for a lot of the first half though but thankfully Queens couldn't really take an advantage of our porous backline.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Friday night was actually a pretty quiet performance by Kennedy compared to previous outings this season. What a player he is though. Hopefully he does sign a new deal at Rangers as I feel that would be our best chance of keeping him past January.

MacGregor was also outstanding as well. He says he prefers playing as a "10" but he's had two excellent games playing as an "8" alongside another superb performer in midfield Allardice who was probably the most "meh" signing of the summer yet now he is probably the first name on the team sheet.

Defending was pretty ropey for a lot of the first half though but thankfully Queens couldn't really take an advantage of our porous backline.

Duffy and Toshney replacing McKay and Devine will be a huge upgrade IMO.