TV Licence

I see it from this point of view: I’m supposed to buy a BBC TV license to watch ANY live TV output or any TV output recorded live. BBC’s wages, politics, threatening  letters and visits from Capita thugs, and paedo-aiding aside, that ruling is nonsense (noncesense, Shirley) and for that: I’m out.

Edited by mathematics

17 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I see it from this point of view: I’m supposed to buy a BBC TV license to watch ANY live TV output or any TV output recorded live. BBC’s wages, politics, threading letters and visits from Capita thugs, and paedo-aiding aside, that ruling is nonsense (noncesense, Shirley) and for that: I’m out.

Threading letter, are Capita doing eye brows now, any appointments before Christmas?

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

it's probably more distasteful to comment on someone's financial circumstances.

in any case he nor anyone in the UK asks for BBC to appear free to air on their TV. Other channels that you have to pay for block the content if you don't pay/subscribe. BBC don't and therefore they nor anyone can really complain if people freely wish to view the programmes that the BBC are happy to provide to everyone. if the BBC or people have an issue with this then it is the model of licence fee/subscription that needs addressed and not someone's decision not to pay. 

Whether those who pay it are idiots are not - well some probably are and some probably aren't like all walks of society. However getting angry about people not paying it, that is more difficult to categorise. 

Not really - I’ve not said anything negative about his financial circumstances, merely that I hope they improve and that if that’s the case then fair enough. 

All I was saying is that I agree with Genuine Hibs Fan in that it’s a poor argument that just because you can get something for free, doesn’t mean that you should. If Scotrail don’t have adequate security to prevent me from jumping the trains, is it still fair enough that I should just do it? I mean, they’ve not blocked me from using the service so they can’t really complain if I use it freely. 

I’m not angry about people not paying it - I don’t pay it. I wouldn’t particularly care if the BBC ceased to exist in its current format as I don’t use it, which is what I suppose will eventually happen if enough people refuse to pay. 

11 hours ago, red23 said:

Some people struggle to sit back and realise the total cost of things cause "it's only X amount per month". 

Like people who get an iphone on £60 a month contracts over 2 years (£1,440)

or people who lease cars for 3 years at £350 a month (£12,600)

And a tv license over 10 years which is a staggering £1600......

Lol the proportions don't change though mate do they? If someone takes home £2k a month which is the take home for the median salary last year (without deductions) then in those same 10 years they will have taken home £240k, so £1600 is still not a substantial proportion of that

We know that the concept of state funded media is anathema to the Tories, if we get to the situation that the U.K. is like the U.S. in terms of news coverage then those who are not paying for their licence will hopefully accept their role.

Personally I hope we have an Independent Scotland by then, with its own state funded broadcaster.

I used to torrent the f**k out of computer games. I buy them now. Not entirely sure why I changed - I think access to online gaming made a bit of a difference, but I'll even pay for single player games now. Must be a facking mug 🤷‍♂️ 

It's frankly incredible that their business model is allowed to continue in 2020. Imagine that a completely new form of energy became available, but the current power companies were allowed to continue to charge a tariff to former customers regardless of whether they continued to use their products or not?

That's basically the BBC...their apologists continually make the case that the licence fee allows for them to make quality content, but that argument is flying in the face of most of the available evidence.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We know that the concept of state funded media is anathema to the Tories, if we get to the situation that the U.K. is like the U.S. in terms of news coverage then those who are not paying for their licence will hopefully accept their role.

Personally I hope we have an Independent Scotland by then, with its own state funded broadcaster.

Not this nonsense straw man argument again. Mainstream news coverage in the UK is governed by regulators like OFCOM, not by the presence of the BBC. ITV is an independent broadcaster that generally does a better job of scrutinising leaders than the BBC, which is the establishment's mouthpiece from fawning over the Royal Family to batting against Scottish independence. 

My biggest issue with it is that you must pay a TV licence even to watch other channels like STV, Channel 4, Sky one etc. Even though the licence fee goes entirely to the Beeb.

Either make the BBC a subscription service (other channels available for free, where your “fee” is having to sit through 12 minutes of ad breaks per hour), or just find it out of taxes.

Just now, Donathan said:

My biggest issue with it is that you must pay a TV licence even to watch other channels like STV, Channel 4, Sky one etc. Even though the licence fee goes entirely to the Beeb.

Either make the BBC a subscription service (other channels available for free, where your “fee” is having to sit through 12 minutes of ad breaks per hour), or just find it out of taxes.

Part of the licence goes to C4, and you pay for the others when you buy anything that's advertised on them. The theory of the licence fee is that it's better than being funded directly out of taxes as it gives them some independence from Government, but that argument seems to have fallen by the wayside in recent years.