Player who played for most top flight clubs

Another thread has seen John Stewart being mentioned as a player for several clubs. This got me wondering who has played for the most top division clubs, while they were in the top division. 

I expect it will be mostly modern mercenaries, and I think Billy Dodds has to be in the running here. 

So who is it? 

Tony Watt (Celtic, Hearts, St Johnstone, Motherwell) and Greg Stewart (Dundee, Aberdeen (twice), Kilmarnock, Rangers) both on 4 clubs each. Watt's only 26, seems like the kind of guy who'll just keep hopping about, though likes a spell away from Scotland too.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I think Doddsy is on five for the three tayside minnows, the Dons and Rangers (RIP). I'm not sure that St Johnstone were in the top league when he was there, but i think they were because i saw him play; might have been a cup though. Also Partick but chances are they were less than top flight. Law of averages. 

Paul McGinn also on 4 (St Mirren, Dundee, Partick Thistle, Hibs). Bizarrely enough (imo) Paul McGowan is also at 4 as well (Celtic, Hamilton Accies, St Mirren, Dundee). Maybe 4 clubs isn't as crazy as I first thought.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

27 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Paul McGinn also on 4 (St Mirren, Dundee, Partick Thistle, Hibs). Bizarrely enough (imo) Paul McGowan is also at 4 as well (Celtic, Hamilton Accies, St Mirren, Dundee). Maybe 4 clubs isn't as crazy as I first thought.

It definitely isn't uncommon. Lee Erwin (Motherwell, Killie, Ross County, St. Mirren) has already clocked up 4, as well as spells in England and Iran and is only 26.

30 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jim Hamilton played for 8 - Dundee, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Dunfermline, Livingston, Motherwell and St Mirren.

Are you sure they were all top tier at the time? Dons and Well excluded there's a lot of yo yo there. 

I just looked up Mixu (player not poster) on wiki because i thought he might be a conteder. Only four sadly, St Mirren in 1st division. Apparently his name's not even Mixu, it's mika-matti. Is wiki full of shit or is this right? 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Are you sure they were all top tier at the time? Dons and Well excluded there's a lot of yo yo there. 

I just looked up Mixu (player not poster) on wiki because i thought he might be a conteder. Only four sadly, St Mirren in 1st division. Apparently his name's not even Mixu, it's mika-matti. Is wiki full of shit or is this right? 

This is right. Mika-matti is how he is listed in the Clydesdale Bank League Review book when he signed for Dundee United.

I think the Scottish press is to blame- Mika-matti was too complicated for them to write so they used Mixu which I think was a nickname 

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

This is right. Mika-matti is how he is listed in the Clydesdale Bank League Review book when he signed for Dundee United.

I think the Scottish press is to blame- Mika-matti was too complicated for them to write so they used Mixu which I think was a nickname 

I can't believe i never knew this before. 

Although in his sand dancing days he was commonly referred to, round our way, as "suuuuuu-moh-oh" 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

He played in the top tier for us and St Mirren.