*** slayers v St Johnstone 19/12/20

Same as always really;

- 3 goals a better keeper would save

EDIT: 3rd is unsaveable - feel the first two were definitely within his reach with a bit of composure

- chucking leads and soft chances when it matters

- multiple players losing the head and composure, costing the team

- strange tactical choices: why on earth when holding a lead did he bring on Hendry, who is an angry, tactically stupid player over Kane, who for all his faults is the best team player in our side and knows how to buy time and free kicks?

Feel we’re in a bit of trouble now and festive period will be a big test of Davidson as a manager. All of the other sides around the bottom are improving and we aren’t. Not one to get carried away about given the red card is a bit of a freak occurrence/ sort of!

Think Davidson will be pleased we are playing Rangers rather than someone of similar ability, as this side is definitely capable of knicking something against better sides

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

The width offered by bringing Mason on was the difference there. 

He should be starting every week and Tait moved to opposite flank. 

Indeed.

I think after Fraser switching off for The Fakes second, we might just see that.

Mason is a better LB than Tait and Tait is a better RB than Fraser.

Just think. Mason playing behind Durmus, with Tait and Connolly on the right. Lovely stuff.

33 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Surely a team playing against 10 men would try and keep their naturally wide players on the pitch when faced with a team happy to set up camp infront of their box. That’s Durmus and Connolly off, replaced with Mason and McAllister. 

Well that’s why I’m sitting at home and Goodwin is managing a team that’s gone 11 unbeaten. On previous form McAllister would be the last guy I would have been bringing on but boy is my face red. Two excellent deliveries and two goals, brilliant. 

6 minutes ago, GAD said:

Wee RandomCry taking it well.

It was the inevitability of that result that has me seething. As soon as Rooney replaced Conway it was done.

We cannot defend crosses, yet our manager who must surely knows that watches us ease our way through the first stage of the 2nd half, and decides to remove any pressure on the St Mirren wide men by changing our shape, and then we inevitably camp in our own box. He then takes off a hard working forward and replaces him with a striker who is totally incapable of playing as a lone striker, and takes off Wotherspoon for a paceless CM.

We effectively played the last half hour with 9 men. 2 of our CMs with no pace, one who can't retain the ball under pressure. It meant there was almost no pressure on St Mirren near our box, and its incredible how much fucking about they done when simple paps into the box would've brought a chance nearly every time.

Why was that his game plan when he knows we cant defend crosses?

Always was going to be a long season with a rookie manager making mistakes, but his insistence on a back 5 is killing us.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just shit from us, frankly. 

Defence is a shambles and is why we're so low in the league. 

Zero complaints. As soon as we went to the back 5 the game was lost.

"Zero complaints".... apart from the 8 posts prior to this one :-))))

11 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

- strange tactical choices: why on earth when holding a lead did he bring on Hendry, who is an angry, tactically stupid player over Kane, who for all his faults is the best team player in our side and knows how to buy time and free kicks?

Good point, with hindsight Kane would have been a better choice. I’ve defended Hendry but he gave us nothing today. Tough shift but you have to offer more than run around angrily just kicking folk and falling over.

Players need to play with their heads a bit more. Looking at you Jason Kerr..

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was the inevitability of that result that has me seething. As soon as Rooney replaced Conway it was done.

We cannot defend crosses, yet our manager who must surely knows that watches us ease our way through the first stage of the 2nd half, and decides to remove any pressure on the St Mirren wide men by changing our shape, and then we inevitably camp in our own box. He then takes off a hard working forward and replaces him with a striker who is totally incapable of playing as a lone striker, and takes off Wotherspoon for a paceless CM.

We effectively played the last half hour with 9 men. 2 of our CMs with no pace, one who can't retain the ball under pressure. It meant there was almost no pressure on St Mirren near our box, and its incredible how much fucking about they done when simple paps into the box would've brought a chance nearly every time.

Why was that his game plan when he knows we cant defend crosses?

Always was going to be a long season with a rookie manager making mistakes, but his insistence on a back 5 is killing us.

I agree with you actually. St Johnstone were extremely comfortable until the changes. Could pretend it was genius from Jim, but your explanation is pretty much what I saw as well. All of a sudden we had time and space out wide, and with two big men in the box, it was always going to suit us.

7 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

"Zero complaints".... apart from the 8 posts prior to this one :-))))

I moan during games, I doubt anyone doesn't.

Red card could've easily been avoided, and I don't think the 1st/3rd St Mirren goals were particularly unavoidable either. A decent defence prevents both. 

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I agree with you actually. St Johnstone were extremely comfortable until the changes. Could pretend it was genius from Jim, but your explanation is pretty much what I saw as well. All of a sudden we had time and space out wide, and with two big men in the box, it was always going to suit us.

I think its understandable we'll see this mistakes with Davidson due to being a rookie, my major issue is he weakens us to play a back 5 when its not needed, and hes doing it regularly now. In the Cup game he had McCann, comfortably our best CM, playing as a winger FFS.

Managers with "philosophies" they can't see beyond are rarely a success at this level.

Bringing on Hendry was complete madness, he did nothing. Surely Chris Kane instead.

Surely a situation that calls for Liam Craig and Calum Booth.

What was Jason Kerr thinking, so stupid.

Zander very poor today.

We just can't keep a clean sheet.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McCart wins ball. Absolutely nobody asks for a free kick from St Mirren.

It's not cricket, m8.  You don't have to claim to get a decision.

Given players, in common with 99.9% of fans, have a very poor understanding of many of the laws of the game  whether they claim for a foul is largely irrelevant.

Fair play to Jim there, I didn’t have a clue what he was playing at second half but it worked! We were very poor for about 75 minutes but it’s great to see a St Mirren team winning games that we haven’t played well in for once.

McAllister was excellent off the bench, and Mason and Morias made a big difference too. Agree that Mason looks a better option than Fraser too. I thought the central midfield struggled once Erhahon went off with Doyle-Hayes playing so deep, MacPherson didn’t seem to have much impact.

It’s been a brilliant run and huge turnaround over the last two weeks, massive credit due to Jim and the players.

So much self-harm about that defeat. I won't be convinced that it was ever a red card but he didn't need to lunge in to start with. It was the sort of challenge that if he had made contact, you are in trouble anyway so, especially as captain, he's got to take some criticism for that. Referees screw every team over though and there's nothing you can do about that part. 

Thought we were fortunate to be ahead against a team that zipped the ball about quickly and with confidence. They looked like a well coached side, a trait that is starting to fade for us. 

Given how the first half went and with the red card, I didn't hold out much hope for the second half but we seemed comfortable enough until it came to making and reacting to changes. Switching roles, strange sub choices and we certainly paid the price. That's where a coach becomes a manager. 

It's nothing new to say we defend alright at times but the penchant for conceding bad goals is becoming a habit that is looking hard to shift. 

There are good things about this team (some that they maybe need to rediscover) but things that need ironed out too if they want to progress. 

Edited by Radford

11 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Fair play to Jim there, I didn’t have a clue what he was playing at second half but it worked!

I was sitting texting my pal during the game calling Erwin and McAllister all the donkeys under the sun. Football has a funny habit of making you look quite stupid. Fair play to Goodwin as it couldn’t have worked out better. 

Well it seems that with only 4 points seperating 5th to 11th it is indeed possible for nearly any team in the league to finish the top half.

Its very competitive but it means teams could easily go from european football to a relegation battle within a few games (cough, Motherwell, cough).

Imagine St Mirren actually finishing in the top half, qualifying for European football and winning the League cup?