What do you need in January?

44 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Watkins back. Scott Wright back. Mcgeough back. Cosgrove to recover last year's form. Long deal for Hoban. 

I was going to post that a fully fit team playing at their peak would be more than enough for the rest of the season.

Would like a few pre-contracts however!

On the first day of January my true love gave to meeee, Tommie Hoban without an injureeee,

On the second day of January my true love gave to meeee, a hatrick from Ross McCrorieeee, (Aberdeen 3 Dundee United 0)

On the third day of January my true love gave to meeee, a country that is covid freeeee.

22 minutes ago, Grover said:

On the first day of January my true love gave to meeee, Tommie Hoban without an injureeee,

On the second day of January my true love gave to meeee, a hatrick from Ross McCrorieeee, (Aberdeen 3 Dundee United 0)

On the third day of January my true love gave to meeee, a country that is covid freeeee.

Three days? Shat it. 

With the transfer window little over than a week away, it's definitely going to be an interesting time to say the least.

What do you think your club ideally needs? Will this be achievable?

I don't foresee a lot of movement at Saints at all. A centre forward is very high indeed on the priority list.

Aside from that? There's been a lot of talk from Jim about going back to the Irish league well that's worked out for us so far, so might just see one or two lads making the trip over as their contracts are up in January.

For outgoings, I can definitely see Sheron being sent back to Fleetwood - it was obvious very quickly that he's not cut out for this level and is now not even making matchday squads. Time to cut and run on him.

The only other real concern is that Coventry recall Mason from loan at which point we'd be left trying to find a replacement.

With Brexit looming and the arrangements in place for free movement to and from RoI I can see more and more clubs going down the Irish route. Outwith the two cheeks the EU European market may well be finished for Scottish clubs.

We could do with a centre-back, especially as we are often playing with three at the back this season and have only really had three centre-backs since McKenna left. Hoban, who has held up reasonably well this season but has historically been very injury prone; Taylor, who is quite inconsistent and ideally wouldn't be a first choice for too much longer; and Considine, who will be 34 by the end of the season and might benefit from a rest from time to time. McCrorie can cover in there, as he did in the second half on Sunday, but you ideally want him in midfield as having him there has been pivotal to making the 3-4-3 work.

I think we could also do with a right-back, preferably one who can also play wing-back competently. McInnes has pretty much confirmed that Hernandez will leave in January, so that leaves us with Logan as the only 'natural' right-back, who isn't very good now. Again, Hoban and McCrorie can offer cover there if we play with a back four but you wouldn't want to be doing that too often as they are best utilised elsewhere. 

Would like to see Ojo joining Hernandez in leaving which will hopefully free up cash for a centre half as Devlin is already injured and can only be time before Hoban breaks again. Would also consider recalling Virtanen as midfield cover. 

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I really don't think we'll be very active: I'd be happy with longer deals for JDH and a couple of the other guys (per Ric's post on the Saints thread.)

Even the striker issue... I'm not sure we're going to do it and I think folk might be disappointed. Let's take Jim at his word when he says Erwin was wiped out by the 'Rona and assume that he's still got more to offer. Despite all the evidence, I still think Dennis might contribute before the end of the season - and they're still just our 2nd and third-choice strikers.

I agree with this, I feel like Erwin and Denis are being judged quite harshly for not hitting the ground running during our "false start" to the season, especially if one of them was fucked by Covid and the other picked up a fairly bad injury as soon as he arrived. I didn't actually think Erwin was that bad on Saturday, and I didn't think he was thst bad in his first couple of games. I think if we are still missing loads of sitters at the end of January, or if we lose a player or two, then we may sign someone, but otherwise I think it'll be quiet. I can actually see us signing a cheap back up centre half before we sign a striker to be honest.

A goalkeeper- Don't rate any of the three, all were going to be a huge comedown on Forster but I didn't think Barkas was going to be as bad as he is.

A centre back - If were still flirting with a back 3 we still need another. Would rather also get one in now with Duffy not being signed in Summer and Ajer almost certainly away.

A winger - we don't have many, I think thats why also Lennon stuck with a back 3 for so long at times with not having two wingers fit,

Elhamed is homesick so well will most likely be looking at another right back

Also A new manager

In all seriousness, we need a lot, but we won't have a huge turnover i think.

Almost every area of the team could be improved apart from LWB where Tanser and Booth provide enough quality and depth to be happy. Rest lack certain quality, and we're seemingly losing McNamara next month too.

I think a CB to bring us up to 4 for that position, and a 3rd winger, should be the priorities short term. Need more depth in the squad as the constant reshuffling of everything the moment one player has to drop out isn't helping.

10 hours ago, Jute said:

Would like to see Ojo joining Hernandez in leaving which will hopefully free up cash for a centre half as Devlin is already injured and can only be time before Hoban breaks again. Would also consider recalling Virtanen as midfield cover. 

I completely forgot Devlin's existence in the post above this, which is probably understandable all things considered. 

9 hours ago, GAD said:

I can actually see us signing a cheap back up centre half before we sign a striker to be honest.

I nearly added that to my post, actually: Jim seems very reluctant to use youth at CH, so I could see us signing an old scrapper/journeyman. I'd certainly say a back-up CH is more pressing that a new striker.