What do you need in January?

With the transfer window little over than a week away, it's definitely going to be an interesting time to say the least.

What do you think your club ideally needs? Will this be achievable?

I don't foresee a lot of movement at Saints at all. A centre forward is very high indeed on the priority list.

Aside from that? There's been a lot of talk from Jim about going back to the Irish league well that's worked out for us so far, so might just see one or two lads making the trip over as their contracts are up in January.

For outgoings, I can definitely see Sheron being sent back to Fleetwood - it was obvious very quickly that he's not cut out for this level and is now not even making matchday squads. Time to cut and run on him.

The only other real concern is that Coventry recall Mason from loan at which point we'd be left trying to find a replacement.

I'm quite content with our current squad but ideally I'd like someone to come in that is a similar mould to Ryan Kent - a player that can take someone on and carry the ball into the box. Obviously, it's not realistic we will be able to afford someone of Kent's quality, but a decent deputy would be ideal for the times where Kent is in need of a rest. Even if it is a loan deal from an EPL team or something.

Elsewhere, I can't see too many areas that are screaming our for reinforcements. I think it's probably a good idea to look at bringing in players with potential that are going to be able to take over from players like Barisic, Kamara and Morelos who are likely to leave sooner or later.

31 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't foresee a lot of movement at Saints at all. A centre forward is very high indeed on the priority list.

Aside from that? There's been a lot of talk from Jim about going back to the Irish league well that's worked out for us so far, so might just see one or two lads making the trip over as their contracts are up in January.

For outgoings, I can definitely see Sheron being sent back to Fleetwood - it was obvious very quickly that he's not cut out for this level and is now not even making matchday squads. Time to cut and run on him.

The only other real concern is that Coventry recall Mason from loan at which point we'd be left trying to find a replacement.

That's pretty much how I see it. The problem is Goodwin has painted himself into a corner a bit in regard to a striker. He'll not move on Obika (scoring goals) or Dennis/Erwin (both are contracted until '22) which leaves Morias who is out of contract soon but he offers something albeit Connolly seems to offer the same with more of an end product.

Mason going back to Coventry wouldn't be an absolute game changer, but I'd be sad to see him go as he's been excellent. I don't know how much is left in the kitty in regard to bringing in people but if we can send Sheron back down the road it could open up some money for, as you say, a LoI lad. With Brexit literally upon us, we need to tap the Irish market quickly before other clubs cotton onto the value to be had there.

Edited by Ric

Not sure we really need much. The biggest thing we needed was a competent manager, and with Martindale I can see us returning to strong form. 

Apparently we’re bringing 2 in with 2 going out, so I can see McCrorie going back to Rangers and a back up GK coming in and someone like McMillan/Jet/ATS making way for another striker 

I really don't think we'll be very active: I'd be happy with longer deals for JDH and a couple of the other guys (per Ric's post on the Saints thread.)

Even the striker issue... I'm not sure we're going to do it and I think folk might be disappointed. Let's take Jim at his word when he says Erwin was wiped out by the 'Rona and assume that he's still got more to offer. Despite all the evidence, I still think Dennis might contribute before the end of the season - and they're still just our 2nd and third-choice strikers.

Depends really.

Assuming all our injured players come back and are good and also none of our key players leave then we're probably looking at a centre half, midfielder and a striker (not a forward who plays across the front 3).

On the face of it a starting XI of:
Carson
O'Hara Gallagher +1
O'Donnell Campbell Donnelly Polworth Carroll
Watt Lang

Is absolutely fine.

The problem of course is that Carson, Donnelly and Carroll are all still injured and we've been makeshifting our way through the season with Bevis Mugabi and Ricki Lamie in our defence.

What we really need is for some clubs to swoop in and take some of the dross we've accumulated off our hands.

Edited by capt_oats

A physical/athletic box to box midfielder would be top of my list, although would almost certainly mean Hallberg leaving just as he's coming into a game for us.

A centre half to challenge hanlon/porteous would be great, and allow McGregor to focus on flashing that ice white smile at hospitality. Lb is still an issue as well - Doig still needs some time to develop, Mackie is mince and Lewis may finally be done

13 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

A physical/athletic box to box midfielder would be top of my list, although would almost certainly mean Hallberg leaving just as he's coming into a game for us.

A centre half to challenge hanlon/porteous would be great, and allow McGregor to focus on flashing that ice white smile at hospitality. Lb is still an issue as well - Doig still needs some time to develop, Mackie is mince and Lewis may finally be done

Have you looked through the St Mirren squad list to see what you'll be getting in January?