The 2021 NFL Draft

lichtie23

Staley runs a base 3-4 but really it's all about the secondary. He plays with 3 safeties and multiple CBs on near every play. Derwin James will fucking love it. I wouldn't worry too much about OLB depth, Staley will maximise Bosa and the pass rush will come from there. I'm not immediately familiar with your CBs but wouldn't be surprised to see Staley target one early because you need good ones to run his system.

Great hire btw. I'm raging we are losing him. 

The only CB of any note that the Chargers have under contract is an over-the-hill Chris Harris Jnr that they've inexplicably lined up as an outside cover guy when he has been on the field. Apart from that, Michael Davis is OOC, decent in Man because he can run with absolutely anyone, Tyreek Hill included, but struggles in zone a bit because I don't think he has the best natural instincts and feel for the game. Casey Heyward has been a top-3 NFL CB since he came to the Chargers, but he's exclusively a zone CB, his legs are showing signs of going, and he's been horribly exposed when we played more Man this year. Derwin James is flirting with becoming a perma-crocked bust, Nasir Adderley just flat-out plays like a no-hoper bust, and our only half-way competent Safety has been playing the wrong Safety spot thanks to James's injury, and he is a pending Free Agent.

DB was a strength of this team just a season or two back, but it certainly isn't that now. IF we re-sign Davis and Jenkins, and James comes back fully healthy, then it's not looking like an absolute disaster. We'd still need at least one CB from somewhere imo, and if we don't sign Davis or Jenkins then that becomes even more of a glaring hole.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 17/01/2021 at 08:39, Brummie Clyde said:

Other than Lawrence, who we have no chance of getting, what are the QBs like in this draft? Any we could get that might be good?

Need an OT and G really. Still hoping Daniels works out in the Centre and Whitehair is a good player.

I'd take Mac Janes from Alabama after Lawrence. He's likely not to go before 15 at the earliest, so many could trade up and take a shot. I wouldn't take Fields in the top 10 but everyone else seems to like him.

• 2 months later...

That is surely the end of Jimmy G in Santa Clara. Despite what the higher ups might say about Jimmy G being their guy there is no way they are moving up that much (and giving up that much) to pick anything other than a QB.

ETA: Miami have played a blinder here. They've turned the 3rd pick this year and a first next year into 6th overall this year and 2 more firsts in 2022 and a 3rd in 2022.

Edited by RiG

Trading two firsts to move up nine spots. Don’t love that.
Obviously going for a QB.

Lawrence seems to be locked in at first. Next two QBs look like being Zach Wilson and Trey Lance. Will the Jets go for a QB at 2? Reports that the 49ers have been trying to trade up as high as they could for weeks, but the Jets weren't interested in talking.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Obviously going for a QB.

Lawrence seems to be locked in at first. Next two QBs look like being Zach Wilson and Trey Lance. Will the Jets go for a QB at 2? Reports that the 49ers have been trying to trade up as high as they could for weeks, but the Jets weren't interested in talking.

They’re clearly going for Lance or Hurts, but I still don’t love the price they paid.

Lynch has a tendency to overpay.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

True. Lance or Fields, I meant to say.

Everybody Hurts sometimes 

The QB class for next year looks weaker than the last few years, and particularly this year, so it makes sense to move up and take one now. If it's Lance I think he'll sit behind Garoppolo for a year.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The QB class for next year looks weaker than the last few years, and particularly this year, so it makes sense to move up and take one now. If it's Lance I think he'll sit behind Garoppolo for a year.

I don’t have a problem with Lynch moving to get one (as long as the pick is right), but it’s a lot to pay.

Aside from fleecing Ryan Pace, I’ve never been that impressed with Lynch.

The Niners are arguably in a 2 season window to win the SB before they need to start dishing out contracts to players like Samuel, Warner and Bosa. If they have any chance of winning it they need to move now and it seems that Shanahan has come round to the idea of having a mobile QB. That would seem to steer them towards someone like Lance over Jones. Interesting times for SF.

When was the last really good QB the 49ers had? Steve Young!?

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I think if they're giving up that kind of capital, the guy that take is starting this year.

They can also save $23m on the cap by getting rid of Jimmy G. I'd be surprised if he's still there come the start of the season.

I think they’re saying they won’t trade Garoppolo to try and get a higher price for him. There’s no way you give up that much and then don’t start whoever you pick. If I’m the Patriots I would give up a 2nd for him at most and it makes sense with no other QB looking available at this point.