Fermers v The Red Machine

Guest Bob Mahelp

Dreadful match. Aberdeen slightly better I guess but didn’t really create anything.

We were calling for our team to be able to shitfest points a month back and at least we’re managing to do that now.

5 goals scored in 13 league games at home is shocking admittedly, but a clean sheet against the third best team in the country whilst resting a couple of key midfielders is a decent enough end result. 

The team are scrapping like mad, and the defence and keeper look a lot more solid than half a dozen games back.

A match to forget, but unbeaten in 5 in the league now.

1 minute ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

We’re playing 3-4-3, or at a  push ,3-4-2-1, it’s never been 5 at the back going forward

The manager himself describes it as a 5-2-3. Whatever it is, the striker is constantly isolated, the wings are constantly overcrowded and there’s never anyone in the box when we chuck the all in from wide. 

Just now, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

We’re playing 3-4-3, or at a  push ,3-4-2-1, it’s never been 5 at the back going forward

Aberdeen were playing 3-4-3, as they had, you know, actual wingers playing out wide.

We play 5 defenders, ergo it's a 5-2-3, it's much the same, but distinguishing between the two is important.

I can chuck some articles at you were Callum Davidson confirms its a "back five" if you like? 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1832311/st-johnstone-have-a-young-back-five-and-will-learn-from-their-mistakes-says-callum-davidson-ahead-of-rangers-test/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwir7IaA9LzuAhWCoFwKHTeSBr4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1zofa7zBSS0BgCkukIwbxj&ampcf=1

Interested to see how you argue this one tbh. Be far more exciting than the game.

It's honestly incredible we're still playing 5-2-3.
This is the 8th game of it at home and we've scored 1 goal from open play, which was our right back.
Or sticking with it through that whole game. Three like for like subs; that'll swing the game. Genuinely thought at some point in the last 20 we'd swap back to 5-3-2 and try and test Aberdeen a little but if anything we fell deeper.

The best you can say is its a decent point, clean sheet and the back three all played well. I'm not sure we can really afford to rest players with the current position. I'd be horrified if we see that midfield 2 and front 3 together again this season.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen were playing 3-4-3, as they had, you know, actual wingers playing out wide.

We play 5 defenders, ergo it's a 5-2-3, it's much the same, but distinguishing between the two is important.

I can chuck some articles at you were Callum Davidson confirms its a "back five" if you like? 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1832311/st-johnstone-have-a-young-back-five-and-will-learn-from-their-mistakes-says-callum-davidson-ahead-of-rangers-test/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwir7IaA9LzuAhWCoFwKHTeSBr4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1zofa7zBSS0BgCkukIwbxj&ampcf=1

Interested to see how you argue this one tbh. Be far more exciting than the game.

It won't.

Horrendous display of football for both sets of fans. 

Wasn't much in it. Aberdeen had more of the possession but never really troubled St Johnstone. Cosgrove was absolutely shocking. Hayes' decision making was abysmal at times. Kennedy and Hedges were the only two that really got pass marks. Lewis' kicking gives me the scares - he leaves it far too late before he kicks it.

McInnes should have subbed Cosgrove off. Main, McGinn, even Anderson for the final 10-15 mins. Fed up with us barely using the bench.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Horrendous display of football for both sets of fans. 

Wasn't much in it. Aberdeen had more of the possession but never really troubled St Johnstone. Cosgrove was absolutely shocking. Hayes' decision making was abysmal at times. Kennedy and Hedges were the only two that really got pass marks. Lewis' kicking gives me the scares - he leaves it far too late before he kicks it.

McInnes should have subbed Cosgrove off. Main, McGinn, even Anderson for the final 10-15 mins. Fed up with us barely using the bench.

Main wasn't on the bench. McGinn is past it and a drain on the finances. He doesn't rate Anderson.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Dreadful match. Aberdeen slightly better I guess but didn’t really create anything.

We were calling for our team to be able to shitfest points a month back and at least we’re managing to do that now.

5 goals scored in 13 league games at home is shocking admittedly, but a clean sheet against the third best team in the country whilst resting a couple of key midfielders is a decent enough end result. 

The team are scrapping like mad, and the defence and keeper look a lot more solid than half a dozen games back.

A match to forget, but unbeaten in 5 in the league now.

I'm trying to take the positives too. That was grim but start of the season we've played in that game better and lost. 

There was some concern that the fantastic result on Saturday built on a goal against the run of play and riding our luck in the first 30 minutes would validate the 5-2-3, may well be the case. Got to feel for Melamed, up there with Kane tonight he might have been able to make some impact. 

Have to think that was all about a point, a clean sheet, and bringing back the best team against Kilmarnock. Looking at the results so far tonight that's now a massive game if it wasn't already.

Totally understand Dons fans wanting Deek oot. That was dreadful given the talent in the squad. 

Most Saints fans said they would be happy with a point but are now unhappy. Did you think it would be 5-5?  All the evidence beforehand suggested this would be a shitfest.  Considering the team we had out and how poor we were I’m happy with a draw.  We would have lost that earlier in the season. 

2 minutes ago, Bose said:

Most Saints fans said they would be happy with a point but are now unhappy. Did you think it would be 5-5?  All the evidence beforehand suggested this would be a shitfest.  Considering the team we had out and how poor we were I’m happy with a draw.  We would have lost that earlier in the season. 

Correctamundo

2 minutes ago, Bose said:

From my perspective, the issue is the team we had out and how poor we were. Not the result. Another week where I'm concerned about some of the manager's decisions.

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

From my perspective, the issue is the team we had out and how poor we were. Not the result. Another week where I'm concerned about some of the manager's decisions.

That’s the bigger issue for me too. As soon as I saw the team line I knew we were going to have issues and so it proved. I appreciate it’s a squad game and we’ve got a tough run coming up but I think the manager has to do better than that. 

I said I would've taken a 0-0 before the match, so cant complain much.

A point v 3rd, unbeaten run beginning, and another clean sheet. Its really fucking hard to watch though, and the same mistakes keep getting made.

Hard to shake the feeling we could've quite comfortably been in the top 5 just now, instead we're meant to pat ourselves on the back for yet another goalless display at home.

A point isn't a disaster and the defence is looking really confident. However, do we not have to try to be more adventurous at home? Kane up against 3 big defenders and having balls shelled at him isn't going to work. You have to admire him though, he never seems to let his head go down.

As for the rest. Mikey doesn't suit a front 3. Bryson doesn't have the drive to get us forward in that Middle two and Conway seems to always be in reverse when he gets in good areas.

We were noticeably better when Spoony came on given his ability to get it down and dribble.  If we do insist on this formation at home I'd prefer 2 of the front three were strikers.

Feel for Melamed 

Edited by Broon_100