Fermers v The Red Machine

Guest Bob Mahelp

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen were playing 3-4-3, as they had, you know, actual wingers playing out wide.

We play 5 defenders, ergo it's a 5-2-3, it's much the same, but distinguishing between the two is important.

I can chuck some articles at you were Callum Davidson confirms its a "back five" if you like? 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1832311/st-johnstone-have-a-young-back-five-and-will-learn-from-their-mistakes-says-callum-davidson-ahead-of-rangers-test/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwir7IaA9LzuAhWCoFwKHTeSBr4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1zofa7zBSS0BgCkukIwbxj&ampcf=1

Interested to see how you argue this one tbh. Be far more exciting than the game.

So Celtic are playing 5-2-3 at home to Accies  as their wide men are Taylor and Turnbull? Personnel doesn’t alter the formation , 

Edited by glenrothes 1884 saint

13 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

From my perspective, the issue is the team we had out and how poor we were. Not the result. Another week where I'm concerned about some of the manager's decisions.

To me that’s more of an indictment of the current squad, we struggle with McCann and Wotherspoon on the bench.  I do think two up front/ three non the middle would have given us more of a hold though

1 minute ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

So Celtic are playing 5-2-3 at home to Accies  as their wide men are Taylor and Turnbull? Personnel doesn’t alter the formation , 

I'm just going off what, qualified coach, Callum Davidson has said about it.

5 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Oh it does and you know it. Playing defenders as wing backs alters the formation from 3 to 5 defensively and then in turn that front 3 turns to a 1 as 2 drop into midfield. When going forward it's 343 but tbh we're shite going forward and I'm bored with Callum continually using it when we have the players to hurt the opposition sitting games out.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen were playing 3-4-3, as they had, you know, actual wingers playing out wide.

We play 5 defenders, ergo it's a 5-2-3, it's much the same, but distinguishing between the two is important.

I can chuck some articles at you were Callum Davidson confirms its a "back five" if you like? 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1832311/st-johnstone-have-a-young-back-five-and-will-learn-from-their-mistakes-says-callum-davidson-ahead-of-rangers-test/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwir7IaA9LzuAhWCoFwKHTeSBr4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1zofa7zBSS0BgCkukIwbxj&ampcf=1

Interested to see how you argue this one tbh. Be far more exciting than the game.

Probably offer to fight you at half time once fans are allowed back in 😆

14 minutes ago, Bose said:

To me that’s more of an indictment of the current squad, we struggle with McCann and Wotherspoon on the bench.  I do think two up front/ three non the middle would have given us more of a hold though

Well yes, so why were McCann and Wotherspoon on the bench? It was a poor managerial decision not to include at least one of them. Ali McCann is more than capable of starting a few matches in relatively close succession, moreso than someone like Murray Davidson who was given his second consecutive start. I agree that two up front and three in the middle would have made a difference, so why was that not changed when things clearly weren't working? Why was May brought on as a straight swap for Kane rather than as a strike partner? Why has Melamed seemingly been cast aside after making a massive difference in his previous two appearances? The questions keep mounting up, and they are mostly in relation to managerial decisions.

Edited by The Real Saints

58 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Rob MacLean has been an embarrassment tonight. I know he is working for the club but i want commentator to be neutral. 

Because the away commentary always seems to be about a second ahead of play, I always listen to the home one. So far this season all the home commentaries have been good and reasonably fair, until tonight. That was brutal. Danny Griffin was supposed to be the co-commentator but would not shut up with his pile of drivel. I know that I could have put It on mute but I didn’t.

10 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

I also don't buy into this unbeaten run nonsense - you end up settling for draws which are killing us this season.  I'd rather win every second game and lose the other, we'd be miles better off.

We’ve taken 7 points from our last 5 games without losing any of them.

Prior to that we lost 4 on the bounce and took 1 point from the previous 5 matches.

We were in freefall with confidence low, and we’ve stopped the rot. We needed to find a way to scrape points, and we’re doing it.

Agree we need more wins, but we’re currently about 4th in the premiership last 5 form table, so it’s something to build on. 

I’m not saying we’re flying by any means, and there’s obvious issues with scoring goals at home, but If we’d managed to get draws as we’re doing now in matches we threw away earlier in the season; County, hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Celtic etc, then we’d be in the top six right now.

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Aberdeen 5 St Johnstone 5 was decent in 1965. 

I wasn’t at that match but to this day I remember watching the teleprinter on Grandstand and shouting out in joy when it started with Aberdeen 5.......

57 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No it wasn't, we were 5-2 up. And it was 1964

I was bored during the game so I looked at head to heads Soccerbase with wrong dates.

I wasn't born but no doubt you was at the match and still hurts nae winning 

Edited by betting competition

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Because the away commentary always seems to be about a second ahead of play, I always listen to the home one. So far this season all the home commentaries have been good and reasonably fair, until tonight. That was brutal. Danny Griffin was supposed to be the co-commentator but would not shut up with his pile of drivel. I know that I could have put It on mute but I didn’t.

I enjoyed it. I think all teams should drop the pretence of objectivity and do the partisan thing like red tv used to. I particularly enjoyed him describing Cambell as "quite robust" and Clark as "like Thor" 

8 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I was bored during the game so I looked at head to heads Soccerbase with wrong dates.

I wasn't born but no doubt you was at the match and still hurts nae winning 

Fortunately I missed that one, otherwise I would be even more raging than I am about that score...

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I enjoyed it. I think all teams should drop the pretence of objectivity and do the partisan thing like red tv used to. I particularly enjoyed him describing Cambell as "quite robust" and Clark as "like Thor" 

I missed these two quips.

A top 4 team and a league cup finalist, and not 1 competent striker between them. 
At least the saintees gave most of theirs a run out. 
Also Danny Griffin must be the worst commentator I have heard. 

What was Del Boy thinking about, make an attacking substitution or 2 surely for the last 20. 

Ugh.

First half was alright. Felt like a lot of this season, like we were on the cusp of something for most of that 45 minutes without creating much of real note other than Cosgrove's header. Rob Maclean would've had you believe we were playing like Pep Guardiola's Barcelona but this 'playing well but not ever looking like scoring' act we do is getting pretty tiresome. When you do this against a good team like Ross County they punish you.

Second half was just pish, Saintees improved and stopped us getting into any rhythm and caused us a few issues but not a great deal. Unacceptable lack of urgency to a) win the game from the players on the pitch and b) change the game in a meaingful way by the manager. He can talk about being disappointed with a point but he absolutely accepted a point and hoped we'd nick 3 from somewhere, without us having to take any risk.

I am very much running out of patience with Cosgrove too. His link up play is beyond poor and he doesn't even look like taking chances that seem to fall his way.