P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

On 22/01/2023 at 16:03, Aim Here said:

Division A Table and Fixtures

As usual, the results and calculations are viewable at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iEm3KhDrq-Ri6Jbz6pgRdNyKNfhtWyuvphTI-1ss9Ig

Week 4:

Purplekangaroo89 beat Arabjoe 

Week 8:

AlbinoRov beat Arabjoe

23 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Arabjoe beats pleslie999 by resignation.

I thought things were OK then 1 move decimated me, well played sir. I resigned before any further embarrassment. I think My position was dead lost anyway.

Yep, an uncharacteristic slip from you that allowed me a Bishop for free and I then got in a pretty strong position (although I forgot, between moves, what that position/plan was and forgot to move my Knight, which almost cost me).  Thanks for the game, look forward to our next one!

15 hours ago, mathematics said:

Win for Mathematics after ArabJoe resigned.

I think I got lucky. 

I made an error on my 3rd or 4th move, and was always up against it after that - especially after jamming 3 pawns one behind the next!  Well played.

On 22/01/2023 at 12:03, Aim Here said:

Division B Table and Fixtures

Division B P W D L Pts
ancientnoise 8 8 0 0 24
stewartmathers 7 6 0 1 18
Basedgodsa1nt 5 5 0 0 15
Dandies1983 8 4 1 3 13
RBWatson 8 4 1 3 13
KenDeans 7 3 1 3 10
N5_Spur 8 3 0 5 9
mackieboz 7 1 1 5 4
IncomingExile 8 0 2 6 2
XCTR94 8 0 0 8 0

Round 9
mackieboz vs RBWatson

RBWatson wins by checkmate.

After giving up a knight for absolutely no reason, I struggled with my opponent's pawn structure, but preventing @Stellaboz castling and doubling up my rooks on the e file were the keys to the win.

Thanks for the game.

@Aim Here I haven't drawn with anyone, by the way; don't worry, I've double (and triple) checked this time and I haven't drawn a daily game in almost a year.

Edited by EvilScotsman
tagging

28 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

RBWatson wins by checkmate.

After giving up a knight for absolutely no reason, I struggled with my opponent's pawn structure, but preventing @Stellaboz castling and doubling up my rooks on the e file were the keys to the win.

Thanks for the game.

@Aim Here I haven't drawn with anyone, by the way; don't worry, I've double (and triple) checked this time and I haven't drawn a daily game in almost a year.

Weird. I had you drawn against Dandies1983. Sorry about that, but it's fixed in the spreadsheet.

Division B, Round 9. 

Incoming Exile wins by checkmate against XCTR94/Sweeper Dee. Although I was ahead it was a very finely balanced match and I think the league table is very unkind to my opponent who had my king in check as often as I was threatening his, with one of my rooks and a bishop pinned making it very hard to get into a winning position. 
Luckily for me I was able to slowly advance my king up the board avoiding his knight and clinched it from there. 
A good game and I am sure by the time we play again Sweeper Dee will have points on the board.  Good luck in your next matches (but not round 18!).

Edited by IncomingExile

1 minute ago, N5 Spur said:

Division B, Round 9

@free beer / stewartmathers defeats N5 Spur by checkmate.

As per my game against ancientnoise, it was just a matter of time.

Well played, and good luck for the rest of the tournament.

Thanks for the game and all the best with your remaining fixtures!

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Pleslie999 beats Aimhere by resignation 

Chess frustrates the life out of me. I can play really well like in this game but as I have shown in other games, embarrassingly poorly! Thanks for the game. 

You seem to be my bogey opponent. You were the only player to beat me when we were both in the seaside leagues too!

Round 10 Division B

stewartmathers defeats Dandies1983 by resignation

Blundered at the start by missing a queen pin on the king by the bishop, but then the game was pretty much even throughout until it reached an end game where I had an advanced pawn and bishop advantage, helped by the vocal home support.

Thanks for the game, thoroughly enjoyed it.  

On 27/01/2023 at 09:20, Curmudgeon said:

Division A

Board_stupid beats markf268 by resignation.

This will be a frustrating one for my opponent. About 20 moves in there was nothing in it, but a lapse of concentration blunders a rook, which there's probably no coming back from.

Frustrating is right, made that move just before bed then woke up and saw it was a blunder!

Think I'm a couple of games behind - will get invites out this morning.

21 minutes ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

@Ken Deans defeats Saint by checkmate 

It's always a 50-50 game between us and this one felt the same, enjoyable as always and the better player one.

No complaints from me.

All the best for your remaining fixtures.

Thanks for a great game Saint. I did expect one and am glad to have ground out the win. Looking forward to the return