Keep, Punt, or Undecided?

Love these threads and probably around the time of year pre-contracts start happening, so what's your thoughts?

Keep

David Wotherspoon - Arguably his best season for us. Experienced, reliable, versatile. Give him what he wants to extend his deal IMO.

Scott Tanser - Gets a tough ride but I don't know why. 

Liam Craig - Slowly edging out the team but always reliable and feel like he's massive in the dressing room.

Murray Davidson - Same as Craig, really. Caveat that he shouldn't be a first choice next season if we keep McCann, but too many upsides to Davidson to lose.

Undecided

Callum Booth - Useful, can sort of play as a WB and CB, but hard not to feel he'll never be more than someone to step in for a game or two. His fate probably rests on Tanser.

Craig Conway - Been useful, and I don't think he was signed to play as much, especially early on, as he did. Fitter he gets, the better he gets. 35 now though.

Stevie May - Sometimes he's very good, but sometimes he's useless. Apparently our highest earner and zero chance he warrants that, so would depend on how willing he is to reduce what he earns. I'd guess lower wages are inevitable for him next season, no matter where he is.

Chris Kane - Probably deserves a new deal, but always a nagging doubt over the previous 2/3 years of poor goal returns. Is this just a purple patch?

Guy Melamed - Played about 3 matches in the league. Too early to say either way.

Punt

Elliot Parish - Can't get in the team ahead of Clark. A genuine challenger for the first team needed

Craig Bryson - Signed to make up the numbers. Shouldn't be needed beyond this season, if not earlier.

Michael O'Halloran - Hes done with us, frankly. Think he's struggled since returning from Australia (and a bad hamstring injury...), and this season a nadir for him under a new manager. Doesn't have the credit in the bank with Davidson as he had with Wright, and again is apparently one of our top earners, so this seems a simple decision.

Keep

Cosgrove (that's right, haterz), Hedges, McLennan, Ferguson, McCrorie, Mcgeough, Hoban, Taylor (i can't believe i just said that), Considine, Hayes, Lewis. That's a potential 1st 11 but i don't think McLennan should be a regular starter-keep for potential. 

Undecided

Kennedy (was good last game and has shown in patches) 

Campbell - talented but can he impose himself? 

Virtanen, Ross, Ngwenya, Duncan- not seen enough. 

McGinn, Logan. Can they still contribute? 

Leigh- has looked the part in the past. Not had a run really. 

Woods- we need a substitute keeper, so why not him i suppose. 

Punt

Devlin- never fit and was poor when last seen for any real time. 

Ojo, Main, Anderson. Just not good enough, sadly. 

Wright- lightweight, terrible at shooting, permacrock, arsehole. 

Love these threads and probably around the time of year pre-contracts start happening, so what's your thoughts?
Keep
David Wotherspoon - Arguably his best season for us. Experienced, reliable, versatile. Give him what he wants to extend his deal IMO.
Scott Tanser - Gets a tough ride but I don't know why. 
Liam Craig - Slowly edging out the team but always reliable and feel like he's massive in the dressing room.
Murray Davidson - Same as Craig, really. Caveat that he shouldn't be a first choice next season if we keep McCann, but too many upsides to Davidson to lose.
Undecided
Callum Booth - Useful, can sort of play as a WB and CB, but hard not to feel he'll never be more than someone to step in for a game or two. His fate probably rests on Tanser.
Craig Conway - Been useful, and I don't think he was signed to play as much, especially early on, as he did. Fitter he gets, the better he gets. 35 now though.
Stevie May - Sometimes he's very good, but sometimes he's useless. Apparently our highest earner and zero chance he warrants that, so would depend on how willing he is to reduce what he earns. I'd guess lower wages are inevitable for him next season, no matter where he is.
Chris Kane - Probably deserves a new deal, but always a nagging doubt over the previous 2/3 years of poor goal returns. Is this just a purple patch?
Guy Melamed - Played about 3 matches in the league. Too early to say either way.
Punt
Elliot Parish - Can't get in the team ahead of Clark. A genuine challenger for the first team needed
Craig Bryson - Signed to make up the numbers. Shouldn't be needed beyond this season, if not earlier.
Michael O'Halloran - Hes done with us, frankly. Think he's struggled since returning from Australia (and a bad hamstring injury...), and this season a nadir for him under a new manager. Doesn't have the credit in the bank with Davidson as he had with Wright, and again is apparently one of our top earners, so this seems a simple decision.
Can't disagree with much of that, apart from your comments re Muzz and Tanser.
Muzz in the form he showed v Hibs should absolutely be a first pick.
As for Tanser you've been as guilty as anyone of laying into him [emoji23][emoji23]

giphy.gif

*CRACKS KNUCKLES*

Our out of contract list is long and not particularly distinguished:

KEEP:
Declan Gallagher - currently at Fir Park  with "a gun to his head", apparently 2 games away from a 1 year extension but "officially" his deal is up in the summer. He's not been anywhere near the player he was last season but it'd be good to keep him around if only to cash in on the Euros royalties.

Stephen O'Donnell - only here on a short term deal which probably expires in the next few days. I have no strong opinion on SOD other than he's better than our alternative options at RB.

Allan Campbell - feels like he's plateaued a bit since Turnbull left, still the most important player in our team. He'll be away in the summer, the story was that he's already been speaking to Millwall but nominally gets a KEEP vote because he's good.

Devante Cole - one of the bright spots of the season. I like big Devante. Not exactly prolific but can hold up the ball, run the channels and is actually a bit of a presence. 

UNDECIDED
Charles Dunne - like SOD his short term deal is up this month but he hasn't played since the start of the 19/20 season and there's not been much by way of an update. If he's actually fit and isn't going to break down again then he's probably a decent option to have around.

Liam Polworth - I'm a fan but he's another, like Gallagher, who's been nowhere near the player he was last season and feels very much like one of those who Robinson was aiming his "players who are believing everything their agents tell them", "players who don't want to be here". On his day he's a smashing player but those days have been few and far between this season, hence the UNDECIDED vots.

PUNT
Scott Fox - he did his ACL in the summer, literally hasn't played a competitive minute for us. I have no real opinion on Fox, he was brought in as cover and our goalkeeper position has been almost entirely cursed this season. He probably falls into the bracket of someone we should probably move on just to remove as many traces as possible of this shitshow of a season.

Aaron Chapman - unbelievably kept a couple of clean sheets against County and Livi but put in a performance for the ages against Accies where we would literally have been as well with a cardboard cutout in goals. It's for that game he'll be remembered.

Bevis Mugabi - he's actually come on to a game in fits and starts this season and his MOTM performance against Rangers was testament to that but with a new manager it's one of those where it feels like we should be upgrading.

Jordan White - chances are he'll be a Ross County player in the next 48 hours anyway in a scenario where we're literally dropping him off in Dingwall for them.

Sherwin Seedorf - he's rapid but dropped out the team midway through last season and he's struggled to make any sort of an impact this time around.

Chris Long - Definitely someone Robinson was taking shots at in the weeks before he resigned. Left our contract offer on the table all summer, eventually decided to sign it and has looked wholly miserable about being here ever since.

Edited by capt_oats

Am I doing this right?

Keep: Aberdeen, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Hamilton, Hibernian, Motherwell, Ross County, St Mirren (obvs)

Punt: Celtic, Rangers.

😎

Spoiler

Undecided: St Johnstone... :whistle

Killie.....

Keep - Findlay, thou, I think his mind is made up that he fancies another crack down south given Fowlers comments at last weeks on board in person meeting.

Keep - Tshibola, Started the season well but has tailed off slightly recently. With Power & Dicker definately on the decline, he holds the ball up well in midfield and has the ability to find an open player with a simple pass. Sometimes looks disintetested but theres definately a player in there.

Keep - Kiltie, the most creative player at Rugby Park and showing the potential he had in spades pre-injuries, is happy to stay and enjoying his football again given his interview with the DR last week. Won't be short of suitors as his contract is up in the summer. A no brainer for me.

Undecided - Haunstrup, arrived with plenty of Pompey fans seethin he was allowed to leave them thou, has been in and out the team thou. Is he much better than Waters? I've not seen enough of him to form a solid opinion yet.

Punt - Kabamba, again started the season well but looks out his depth in the top flight as the season has gone on, lacks a presence up top and is pretty useless in the air for his size bar the one performance against Jullien.

Punt - Whitehall, lacks movement but is slightly better than Kabamba in holding the ball up. Not nearly good enough for the top flight imho.

Punt - Rogers, a decent shot stopper but doesn't command his area and is prone to a mistake or two in games which doesn't install confidence in our defence. No better than Jamie McDonald who was allowed to leave last summer.

Punt - Pinnock, for a winger he has zero pace and skill to beat his man, he is capable of a decent cross now and again but gets posted missing far to often and would struggle in the Championship.

Edited by C4mmy31

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Keep

Cosgrove (that's right, haterz), Hedges, McLennan, Ferguson, McCrorie, Mcgeough, Hoban, Taylor (i can't believe i just said that), Considine, Hayes, Lewis. That's a potential 1st 11 but i don't think McLennan should be a regular starter-keep for potential. 

Undecided

Kennedy (was good last game and has shown in patches) 

Campbell - talented but can he impose himself? 

Virtanen, Ross, Ngwenya, Duncan- not seen enough. 

McGinn, Logan. Can they still contribute? 

Leigh- has looked the part in the past. Not had a run really. 

Woods- we need a substitute keeper, so why not him i suppose. 

Punt

Devlin- never fit and was poor when last seen for any real time. 

Ojo, Main, Anderson. Just not good enough, sadly. 

Wright- lightweight, terrible at shooting, permacrock, arsehole. 

Agree with everything except kennedy. Hes a defo stay for me - underrated big time. 

58 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Can't disagree with much of that, apart from your comments re Muzz and Tanser.
Muzz in the form he showed v Hibs should absolutely be a first pick.
As for Tanser you've been as guilty as anyone of laying into him emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I think Davidson is showing signs of slowing down, loses players a lot near our own box too. Still our second best CM though, but think he's 33 soon? We need to move on eventually.

Have I been "laying into" Tanser? Genuinely can't remember. I've said he's not quick enough, or able to beat men 1v1, to play our 5-2-3 how it's meant to be played, but we're unlikely to ever have a wing back that we'll rounded. Any other system and Tanser is more than fine. I'd be surprised if Aberdeen don't move for him.

KEEP:

Allan McGregor - the best keeper in the league despite being so old he's actually married now.

Steven Davis - incredible output for someone his age. Keep him until he starts to show signs of decline.

Leon Balogun - have a year option on the deal. Third choice centre backs don't come much better than him. Been excellent value for a free transfer.

PUNT:

Greg Stewart - an aging player who isn't good enough. Destined to end up back at Dundee in the summer.

Bongani Zungu - technically not out of contract, but his loan ends in the summer and we have a €3m option to buy. I like him, he's a good player, but that doesn't represent value. His output doesn't match what Steven Davis gives us in that role. Great passer of the ball though. Closest I've come to being undecided - if he has a good few months, I could be convinced.

Jermain Defoe - love him but he's going to retire, he's said as much. Will be tough to replace his intangibles.

Andy Firth - a banter signing, which is what a third choice keeper should be. These need to be renewed every few years at least. Hoping we sign a more mental third choice keeper in the summer.

UNDECIDED:

Indecision is for the weak.

14 minutes ago, G51 said:

KEEP:

Allan McGregor - the best keeper in the league despite being so old he's actually married now.

Steven Davis - incredible output for someone his age. Keep him until he starts to show signs of decline.

Leon Balogun - have a year option on the deal. Third choice centre backs don't come much better than him. Been excellent value for a free transfer.

PUNT:

Greg Stewart - an aging player who isn't good enough. Destined to end up back at Dundee in the summer.

Bongani Zungu - technically not out of contract, but his loan ends in the summer and we have a €3m option to buy. I like him, he's a good player, but that doesn't represent value. His output doesn't match what Steven Davis gives us in that role. Great passer of the ball though. Closest I've come to being undecided - if he has a good few months, I could be convinced.

Jermain Defoe - love him but he's going to retire, he's said as much. Will be tough to replace his intangibles.

Andy Firth - a banter signing, which is what a third choice keeper should be. These need to be renewed every few years at least. Hoping we sign a more mental third choice keeper in the summer.

UNDECIDED:

Indecision is for the weak.

Jack Hamilton would be a great choice imho.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

PUNT

Jordan White - chances are he'll be a Ross County player in the next 48 hours anyway in a scenario where we're literally dropping him off in Dingwall for them.

Sherwin Seedorf - he's rapid but dropped out the team midway through last season and he's struggled to make any sort of an impact this time around.

Chris Long - Definitely someone Robinson was taking shots at in the weeks before he resigned. Left our contract offer on the table all summer, eventually decided to sign it and has looked wholly miserable about being here ever since.

hahaha.

Anyone have the slightest idea why RC wants him?

Keep: 

Tommie Hoban - Arguably our best player, certainly in the conversation, and having an excellent season. Comfortable with the ball at his feet and carrying it out of defence, good reader of the game, decent in the air. He can play competently right across the back, both in a three and a four. Injuries are always going to be a worry, but I'd love him to stay and get a good few seasons under his belt with us. I worry he'll be off back to England, though. 

Ash Taylor - I mean, he has his moments, but he has generally been pretty good since his return - not as many mistakes as first time round, dominates everything in the air, a threat in both boxes. Struggles against more technical opponents, but sufficient for 90% of the opposition he is going to face with us. I'd be happy enough to have him stick around for another season or two.

Connor McLennan - I like him. He's direct, has some presence, tendency to make good things happen offensively. Still not the finished article and likes to throw in the occasional appalling 1/10 performance, but I hope he stays with us and develops further. Probably needs some consistency, so I think it would be beneficial for him too if he stayed. 

Undecided:

Niall McGinn - He has been a great player for us, but he has barely kicked a ball this season. Perhaps be best for all parties if he moves on, but he might show something in the next few months to suggest otherwise. I'll be sad to see him go when he does eventually leave; one of my favourite Dons players since I started going to Pittodrie. 

Greg Leigh - I'm not a huge fan, but offers some cover at both left-back and wing-back depending on the formation being played, and can play centre-back or midfield in an emergency. I wouldn't want to be relying on him for too long in any position based on what I've seen over the past couple of seasons, but I also wouldn't be completely against keeping him as a squad player. Nothing more than that, hopefully. 

Miko Virtanen - Haven't seen nearly enough from him to say either way. Made his first-team debut as a substitute on Saturday and maybe will have a few more opportunities to stake a claim between now and the end of the season. Make or break time.

Punt: 

Curtis Main - Tries hard, but ultimately just not good enough, even as back up. Should be moved on and replaced. 

Bruce Anderson - Shown very little in his admittedly limited opportunities to suggest that he is good enough for us, or even the top flight at the moment. Might come back to haunt us, but seems unlikely on evidence to date. 

Shay Logan - Well past his best now. Good player for us over the years, but just too many mistakes and shortcomings in his game for a while now. 

Michael Devlin - Injury prone and not really had a good run of form since 2018. Probably our fourth-choice centre-back even when he is fit, and can't say I'd have too much faith in him stepping up if some injuries or suspensions occurred to the three ahead of him.