VAR in Scottish league???

12 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Anything is better than the system we have now, re-refereeing the game 4 days later is a joke.

This half arsed method of rerefereeing aspects of certain games clearly isn't working, if they want to rule out mistakes then VAR is the only option.

7 minutes ago, bennett said:

This half arsed method of rerefereeing aspects of certain games clearly isn't working, if they want to rule out mistakes then VAR is the only option.

In Bulgaria they only use it in some games don't know how that works but when you look at the countries that have it I don't see why Scotland can't, for me the Financial problem is an excuse. 

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

In Bulgaria they only use it in some games don't know how that works but when you look at the countries that have it I don't see why Scotland can't, for me the Financial problem is an excuse. 

Aye, clubs should just magic money from nowhere to pay for a system they don't want and fans don't want.

VAR is an absolute abomination and desperately needs to f**k so far off.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Anything is better than the system we have now, re-refereeing the game 4 days later is a joke.

They do the same with VAR. This season is the best season to do it and it still has issues. The problem is that it doesn't solve "wrong" decisions but breaks the game for actual stadium visiting fans. 

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I remember a Partick v Dundee Utd match back in the early 90's when Paddy Connolly (I think) scored and the ball hit off the stanchion in the back of the goal, bounced out, CH then picked the ball up and booted it up to the Centre circle, unbelievably no goal nor indeed penalty were given and game continued as normal. I think it may have been Brian McGinley who was refereeing, however this type of thing I can see the point of VAR but of course a fool proof goal line technology system would also be just as good.

As you say though, things like that (while annoying at the time for those involved) also provide a talking point and stick in the memory for years to come, so maybe you're right, maybe football as it is should just be left alone as refereeing screw ups and the perception of biased decisions are just part and parcel of a game that we all love.

Les Mottram.

5 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Well that's just not true, I've seen plenty on MOTD that I'm scratching my head at thinking how do they know exactly where his shoulder is under his loose fitting shirt or when do they actually know when the last contact of foot and ball was.

This sums it up fairly well.

https://medium.com/hive-it/fixing-offside-and-var-using-design-299d62b78c57

Offside probability? lmao

Get. In. The. Fucking. Sea.

And the hilarious thing about the argument posited there is, he claims its not binary, but we'll give offside when we hit 67% probability, not 66% (can you see it yet?).

That tiny line (0/1) still exists no matter what fucking method you apply to it.

Edited by ArabFC

English football is a completely different product to Scottish.

It's designed to be consumed on TV by an audience who primarily view it as a form of entertainment with no emotional or social connection to the clubs.

In the same way I'm able to watch NFL with every scoring play being reviewed because ultimately I don't care and they can cut away to another game whilst the review is happening.  Bit annoying but fine.

That said I fully expect the pea brained twits that run scottish football to apply the English = good formula 

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's designed to be consumed on TV by an audience who primarily view it as a form of entertainment with no emotional or social connection to the clubs.

In the same way I'm able to watch NFL with every scoring play being reviewed because ultimately I don't care and they can cut away to another game whilst the review is happening.  Bit annoying but fine.

That said I fully expect the pea brained twits that run scottish football to apply the English = good formula 

The NFL is different because stoppages are built into the game anyway, football does not reflect this at any level.

A goal-line technology system that is more accurate than some puffing mess of a linesman and a very limited number of VAR challenges is the best middle ground. The only scope for review in football should be at a manager's request, not from some poindexter in a TV van sticking his oar in. That half the managers in Scottish football would end up squandering their challenges on obvious fouls at the halfway line and get slaughtered for it by the opposition fans will add to the entertainment value. 

4 minutes ago, DMCs said:

A terrible idea. The main advantage we have over the EPL is the proper fans' experience.

That'll be why so many outsiders pass over the Milan derby, German football or a trip to Old Trafford, Anfield etc. to watch Hamilton v Ross County. 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

That'll be why so many outsiders pass over the Milan derby, German football or a trip to Old Trafford, Anfield etc. to watch Hamilton v Ross County. 

The Milan derby is class. Seen a lot more of those than I have in a long time. But personally, you can disagree, i would rather wrong decisions were made than have to tame any celebrations.

VAR would be fine if it only analyses clear and obvious errors and NOT every incident as does currently.

Also, VAR shouldn't get involved in offside situations; put some trust in the guys and gals who are trained and paid to do the job. Sure, they get some wrong but the vast majority they get right.

34 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

VAR would be fine if it only analyses clear and obvious errors and NOT every incident as does currently.

Also, VAR shouldn't get involved in offside situations; put some trust in the guys and gals who are trained and paid to do the job. Sure, they get some wrong but the vast majority they get right.

This is a very reasonable post.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

NFL's use of technology is just so backward.  Subjective decisions are reviewed but the equivalent of goal line technology i.e. did the ball go 10 yards, is completely ignored.

Probably the biggest factor in deciding games that is easily checked...nah we'll leave that to the refs who can't see because 10 players are on top of the ball.

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Depends what school the creators of the VAR system went to.

On a serious note VAR isn't viable in Scotland due to cost imo. I could only ever see it being used for cup finals if it was used.

This is utter pish Croatia use it as do Serbia from next season and Kosovo have plans to introduce it.

The cost can be recouped by taking it from a percentage of solidarity payments - and even things like selling sponsorship rights to it.  

"We now go to the VAR Check presented by Tennents Lager"

Edited by ArabAuslander

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

NFL's use of technology is just so backward.  Subjective decisions are reviewed but the equivalent of goal line technology i.e. did the ball go 10 yards, is completely ignored.

Probably the biggest factor in deciding games that is easily checked...nah we'll leave that to the refs who can't see because 10 players are on top of the ball.

I don't know what you mean. All scoring plays are reviewed inc. Did the ball break the plane.

The spot of the ball is a challengable play too.

5 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

This is utter pish Croatia use it as do Serbia from next season and Kosovo have plans to introduce it.

The cost can be recouped by taking it from a percentage of solidarity payments - and even things like selling sponsorship rights to it.  

"We now go to the VAR Check presented by Tennents Lager"

Penalty to Celtic.