Raith V Ayr 13/2

f**k me that was shite. We have an issue with a frontline that has ran out of ideas. Teams double up on our wingers and our centre forwards range from utterly shite to mildly useful. None of them get near being effective. 

To add insult to injury we can't seem to get any of our numerous dead balls into dangerous areas.

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

When was the last time we had a half decent game v Ayr? Struggling to think of one.

The day you wasted everyone's time by not getting beat 5-0 and stayed not relegated for a few days. 

11 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:
When was the last time we had a half decent game v Ayr? Struggling to think of one.

The triple save by the Witch

Nah, we were shite that game. The triple save and Simmons stealing a point were highlights of a terrible performance.

Was a decent game the first half but fizzled out throughout the 2nd half. Considering our respective league positions, a point away in Kirkcaldy isn't too bad a result.

Two clean sheets and 4 points out of 6 away from home in this league shouldn't be sniffed at. Definitely look more defensively organised but the lack of attacking threat is a concern. Hopefully white can address that when he is back.

I genuinely have no idea what our best option is up front. No one is setting the heather alight there and it's exacerbating the problem with going wide and achieving nothing from it. 

We really need to change it up. 

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

what was the point on chalmers coming on?

Change of shape Muirhead sat between the defence and midfield, we basically just defended from then on. 

f**k me that was shite. We have an issue with a frontline that has ran out of ideas. Teams double up on our wingers and our centre forwards range from utterly shite to mildly useful. None of them get near being effective. 
To add insult to injury we can't seem to get any of our numerous dead balls into dangerous areas.
This. I was actually bored.

Found ourselves in great areas but the final ball was dreadful, especially Armstrong again with woeful corners / free kicks , To be honest I thought a point a piece was the right result because Ayr always looked dangerous going forward and we on the other hand for all the possession done very little

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Think both teams could’ve played for another 90 minutes without a whiff of a goal there. Ayr are on the list of teams I’d like an extended break from playing, constant insipid battles.

See you in a little over a week! 

3 minutes ago, P.C said:

The quality of crossing has been piss poor all night. God knows how Armstrong stayed on as long as he did.

Armstrong was too often on the ball, and almost always did nothing with it. Time for him to sit for a game or two.

Tumilty was pretty absent and KMac's crossing was as bad as his effort and pace was good.

Duku isn't the player to have up top alone, Ugwu looked more threatening in his 30 minutes.

Did anyone every figure out if it was Spencer or KMac that was booked?

4 games v the Pars and Raith, 4 x 0-0 draws.   Oooft.  

Walsh never looked like scoring at the end there.  As someone says, if that's Forrest he cuts inside and curls it home.   Walsh more like Zanatta in the 'hit it hard and high and hope for the best camp.  

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Armstrong was too often on the ball, and almost always did nothing with it. Time for him to sit for a game or two.

Tumilty was pretty absent and KMac's crossing was as bad as his effort and pace was good.

Duku isn't the player to have up top alone, Ugwu looked more threatening in his 30 minutes.

Did anyone every figure out if it was Spencer or KMac that was booked?

In relative terms rather than absolute terms.

A point not the worst outcome, all things considered.

We really should've created more clear cut chances given the possession that we had, but I do think a lot of that was down to how well-drilled Ayr were. Not what you'd necessarily expect from a team under a caretaker, they were organised and everyone did their job properly. Not a huge amount of forward endeavour, but still looked dangerous on the break. 

As for the Rovers, I think we need a new idea. We're too predictable. We played about as well as you could expect in possession tonight, but teams know that if they can close down the operating areas of our wingers and our full backs, we'll struggle to create. Better crossing would've helped, too many set pieces in particular were wasted, but you can see how blunted Armstrong and Kennedy are when they don't get space to run into. 

It was touched on earlier in the thread, but with Ethan Ross (and Dylan Tait) ad part of the attacking line we were a wee bit more dynamic and a little less formulaic, and teams struggled with that. Kennedy is definitely a technical upgrade on Ross, but perversely I think he makes us easier to play against. 

I'd be sorely tempted to bring Musonda back in and go to the three at the back we saw at Cappielow. We've got four strikers now, it lets us get two of them onto the park at any one time. That, at least, should increase the chances of one of them finding their shooting boots. 

All in all, Ayr are a better side than "just sacked their gaffer" suggests, and we've seen often enough in the league this season that anyone can beat anyone. You hear a lot in football about turning draws into wins, but we've lost some games we should've have this season. A couple of draws might not be the worst thing.