Raith V Ayr 13/2

From an Ayr perspective I thought that was pretty disciplined. Two clean sheets on the bounce, which is great. One loose pass aside, I thought Ndaba looked like he can play at a much higher level.

I''d have brought McKenzie on earlier rather than Chalmers, as we needed someone to hold it up. We struggled to get a hold in the 2nd half as Moffat tired.

As for the midfield, Murdoch looks a much better player with Muirhead alongside him.

Definitely given the new manager something to build from.

Earlier in the season we had the most success with a midfield of Tait, Hendry and Matthews. Very little seems to be happening at the moment for either of our wingers or Duku. We're sticking with one up top but any time we've used our forwards in that system they look completely out of sorts. I'd hope we give Gullan more of a run out in place of either of Kennedy or Armstrong. Dreading Inverness on Friday: it's a game we've been shite in for years - they're well out of sorts at the moment but teams seem to love playing us when they're down on their luck. I get the feeling if we're going to find a formation that works, it will be like Queen of the South and we'll stumble on it by accident. 

Second half was a training drill, Rovers attack v Ayr’s defence. And the defence won handsomely.

We should’ve won across the 90 mins but didn’t create enough chances, Matthews probably had the best one and should’ve scored. The others from Duku x 2 and Ugwu were reasonable chances but not exactly gilt-edged. Frustrating. Ayr defended very well, as they did against us at Somerset, and really restricted us to hoping something happened rather than looking likely to. The centre forward position looking like a real issue right now.

I have no confidence at all we’ll go to Inverness and win despite their current struggles, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see us in 3rd or 4th come 5pm on Saturday. Feels like a real missed chance to give ourselves a little cushion, but it’s still a point gained I suppose.

Quite enjoyed that game and thought we were well worth our point, Raith probably shaded it but both sides had very good chances and could have scored a couple each on another night.

I actually thought we both tried to play football and pretty much matched up against each other but as I say, happy with a point and watched many worse games this season that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Earlier in the season we had the most success with a midfield of Tait, Hendry and Matthews. Very little seems to be happening at the moment for either of our wingers or Duku. We're sticking with one up top but any time we've used our forwards in that system they look completely out of sorts. I'd hope we give Gullan more of a run out in place of either of Kennedy or Armstrong. Dreading Inverness on Friday: it's a game we've been shite in for years - they're well out of sorts at the moment but teams seem to love playing us when they're down on their luck. I get the feeling if we're going to find a formation that works, it will be like Queen of the South and we'll stumble on it by accident. 

Bench Armstrong, bring Gullan in, play him close to Ugwu. Go back to the 4-1-2-1-2  from last season and hope we don't get creamed down the flanks?

Thought that was reasonable for a 0-0, both teams played some decent stuff in patches without ever really looking like scoring.
Thought Reading was decent again, think Walsh needs to contribute more. There’s no point in him flinging crosses in when we’ve only got Smith, Moffat & McCowan to aim for!

8 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Thought that was reasonable for a 0-0, both teams played some decent stuff in patches without ever really looking like scoring.
Thought Reading was decent again, think Walsh needs to contribute more. There’s no point in him flinging crosses in when we’ve only got Smith, Moffat & McCowan to aim for!

Aye.  There were a few crosses that seemed to be screaming out for what we hope Dre Wright will be. 

I thought that was a pretty decent 0-0 to be fair, much better than some of the insipid shite we were subjected to under Kerr. There is a decent Ayr team there it just needs a fit Dre Wright to get in about it and we'll be fine. Plenty been said on the game so I'll just chuck in that Raith TV has been the best streaming service I've watched all season - closely followed by Morton.

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Houston going off seemed to help defensively, just doesn't seem fit, very pacy player but seems to have no gears to go through at all at the moment. 

Aye thats what I thought.  He seems to be constantly knackered.  I know you have said before you aren't a fan but I thought he was really promising last season.  Even going forward today he looked out of sorts.   One I absolutely wouldn't write off though, clearly something not right after the injury/ long lay off in the summer.  

Will take that all day, every point a prisoner just now.
I was impressed by Raith's sharpness and everyone seeming eager to get on the ball, even when the final execution was lacking tonight. Raith don't look far away.

Plenty to be pleased about in defence for us tonight, two clean sheets on the bounce and gives us something to look after at Tynecastle on Saturday. For me it's don't get skewered and undo the positives from the last two matches.

ETA: top stuff from Raith TV tonight

55 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just to remind us what a fucking passenger he actually is. There’s absolutely no danger of him being here next season if Hopkin comes in.

Is your logic here that Hopkin won't tolerate passengers in midfield?

I hate to break it to you  but this is the manager who not only signed Cameron Blues on loan, but converted that loan signing to a permanent deal in the same window and handed him a two year deal. He loves a talentless passenger.

Is your logic here that Hopkin won't tolerate passengers in midfield?
I hate to break it to you  but this is the manager who not only signed Cameron Blues on loan, but converted that loan signing to a permanent deal in the same window and handed him a two year deal. He loves a talentless passenger.

They may be talentless but do they not at least run about a bit?

Chalmers can pass the ball but he can barely run the length of himself.

"so I'll just chuck in that Raith TV has been the best streaming service I've watched all season - closely followed by Morton."

"ETA: top stuff from Raith TV tonight"

That's what everyone seems to have been saying all season. Doff the chapeau to all the Raith TV guys 👍😄

Edited by embow

I'd have taken 4 points from 6 with no manager. So I can't be too critical.

We were far too passive second half and subbing Moffat for Chalmers was bouffin. Encouraging that the defense absorbed as much pressure, Muirhead in the middle gives us some much needed steel. Walsh delights me and infuriates me in equal measure. A strange player.

Edited by Trogdor