The 2021 election and a mandate for Indyref2.

Erih Shtrep

Where will you cast your constituency vote at the 2021 election?   

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Are we pretending a significant element of unionism isn't just scumbag Rangers supporters?

Considering there's Unionists in all countries within the UK I'd say it can't be that significant unless we have a lot more fans than I realised..

There's a large element of Indy fans that are scumbags, the football team they support doesn't really come in to it. 

It's a great way to start a circle jerk on here but to me anytime someone does the whole Us vs Them politics rather than discussing the issues being raised it comes across as rather reductive, rather silly and quite backwards. 

4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Considering there's Unionists in all countries within the UK I'd say it can't be that significant unless we have a lot more fans than I realised..

There's a large element of Indy fans that are scumbags, the football team they support doesn't really come in to it. 

It's a great way to start a circle jerk on here but to me anytime someone does the whole Us vs Them politics rather than discussing the issues being raised it comes across as rather reductive, rather silly and quite backwards. 

The constitutional issue has hugely different dynamics in all four countries of the UK. We're clearly talking about Scottish unionism.

I'm glad you've got the backbone to admonish your fellow Rangers supporter / unionist on this thread.

26 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Kekekek, lads lads lads. 

You sure showed him you lovely progressive fellows. 

to paraphrase Sacha Baren Cohen's recent quote, if you are gonna call out xenophobes then xenophobes are gonna be upset. Same for calling people "scum" or "scumbags" as you later go on to do. To me it reflects more on the person who happily labels other people as "scumbags". 

You also suggest that labelling someone as a xenophobe based on their now routine rants isn't consistent with being progressive. In what way? 

If there's one thing I've learned from Scottish football, it's that referring to bigots as bigots makes you a bigot because you're bigoted against the bigots.

So much to learn.

In my personal experience, Scottish Unionism consists of Rangers fans and English couples in their 50s and 60s who hate the SNP but have consciously made the decision to live where they have devolved power in issues that directly affect their lives.

I think I just find it quite frustrating to see people having a laugh at one bunch of scumbags whilst ignoring the scumbags on their side which post here frequently but of course they get ignored and mythical Rangers fans get the ire. 

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

From what I remember during the last referendum if you didn’t say you were voting yes or even questioned it then you were labelled a nawbag or stupid that you even questioned it. The support on the streets had a militant aggressive vibe with folk dressed up like brave heart etc.

I know that all supporters weren’t like this but the inability to actually say why independence was the right way, other than read the website, turned a potential win into a no vote. Just my opinion and I voted yes and was hoping it would happen.

Perhaps the snp will win again by a landslide but I still think a no vote will happen. There is zero opposition in Scotland now that Labour disappeared. 
It’s not healthy for the future and I fear we will be stuck for another ten years in limbo.

Who knows maybe Scotland will finally go for it, hope so.

From what I remember during the last referendum if you didn’t say you were voting yes or even questioned it then you were labelled a nawbag or stupid that you even questioned it. The support on the streets had a militant aggressive vibe with folk dressed up like brave heart etc.
I know that all supporters weren’t like this but the inability to actually say why independence was the right way, other than read the website, turned a potential win into a no vote. Just my opinion and I voted yes and was hoping it would happen.
Perhaps the snp will win again by a landslide but I still think a no vote will happen. There is zero opposition in Scotland now that Labour disappeared. 
It’s not healthy for the future and I fear we will be stuck for another ten years in limbo.
This is plainly absolute fucking drivel. Even Colonel Cosplay would take a minter at that [emoji23]

38 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

where did you experience this?

27 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Glad I wasn't around for that referendum; that sounds awful.

this "divisive" critique beloved of the the majority of the parties (which seemingly can only applied to the issue of independence and not any other major piece of manifesto policy which the parties may be at odds at) was in the eye of the beholder. Marches for independence that went on with no incidents or arrests were seen by some as joyous, others as a manifestation of aggression. Yes or No voters who entered into political conversation in pubs etc were either perceived to be happy to chat and engaged for the first time in years on politics or were "aggressively challenged", 

In Glasgow, the only aggression I ever witnessed/subsequently read about were two seemingly orchestrated incidents by Jim Murphy and then the George Square Rangers/EDL type "celebration".

I considered it to be on the whole quite an exciting and engaging time but to others, perhaps fearful of the result, it was nerve wracking and "divisive". 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

I think I just find it quite frustrating to see people having a laugh at one bunch of scumbags whilst ignoring the scumbags on their side which post here frequently

You've already called out Kincy. Don't beat yourself up.

Aye, the amazing thing about the referendum in 2014 was that people were actually discussing politics. No wonder most of the political parties found the whole affair quite challenging; the very last thing they want is scrutiny of what they're doing.

One of the unexpected side effects of that campaign was the feeling that people might be more likely to participate in the running of their country after independence. Probably wishful thinking, but still better than the prevailing wisdom that politics is boring and not something for the proles to concern themselves with.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

This is a very strange statement. Where about was this ?  

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The yes movement is bigger than the SNP, just because they have been in power for over a decade doesn't mean there is a mandate for indyref 2.

Surely that would be the argument that the Yes movement is smaller than the SNP?

4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Actually, one of Celtic’s most talented players came from Kincardine.

A certain George Connelly.

Unfortunately, he had a drink problem which brought his career to an early demise.

As I recall his claim to fame was when as a youngster he played keepyup round the Parkhead perimeter before a game.

A lot of whatifery about his football potential after he left to drive taxis.

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I continually hear all political parties (including the SNP), refer to the four countries within the uk.

Northern Ireland is a province/region of the uk and Wales is debatable given they adopted english law hundreds of years ago.

Next they will be saying there are six countries with the Isle of Man and The Channel Islands added.

Edited by SandyCromarty

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

In my personal experience, Scottish Unionism consists of Rangers fans and English couples in their 50s and 60s who hate the SNP but have consciously made the decision to live where they have devolved power in issues that directly affect their lives.

Plus the military based in Moray.