Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Austria confirm they are going to play in Scotland without players from German clubs

https://www.oefb.at/oefb/News/Nationalteam-tritt-planmaessig-in-Schottland-an

Link in German

From Google Translate:

National team competes in Scotland as planned
Franco Foda PK currently
After carefully weighing all the factors, the ÖFB top decided to travel to Scotland for the away game as part of the World Cup qualification on March 25th and to refrain from applying for an alternative scenario.

President Leo Windtner, team boss Franco Foda, general secretary Thomas Hollerer, managing director Bernhard Neuhold and sports director Peter Schöttel came to this joint decision after internal consultations.

Most recently, the request for a place swap was in the room, as team boss Franco Foda Stand now has to do without all players from German clubs due to the current quarantine regulations. The clubs are released from the parking obligation by a regulation by FIFA if a player has to be in quarantine for five days or more after returning from the national team course due to the COVID regulations. This is currently the case in Germany after a stay in Great Britain.

An application to swap places should have been approved by FIFA, and this variant would have required an exemption for the delegation from Scotland to land on Austrian territory. There is currently a landing ban on flights from the UK. In this scenario, the ÖFB-Elf would have had to play three away games in Moldova, Israel and Scotland within a few days in September, which would have been associated with considerable travel strain. In addition, there is justified hope of being able to count on the support of the home crowd in the stadium in the important second leg against Scotland in September.

According to information from the international associations FIFA and UEFA, no option would have been a variant according to which the match scheduled for March 25, 2021 - while maintaining the home advantage for Scotland - could be moved to a neutral venue. In a dialogue with the ÖFB, the Scottish Association expressed understanding for the situation, but insisted on Glasgow as the venue despite the parking problems explained.

“We had to choose one of two unsatisfactory options. We did that after weighing up all the parameters. We have had a close and constructive dialogue with all parties involved, for which I would like to express my thanks, ”said Bernhard Neuhold, Managing Director of ÖFB Wirtschaftsbetriebe GmbH.

“There was no satisfactory option in this situation. We made our decision with a view to the entire qualification campaign. If we had swapped home rights, we would have had to play three logistically challenging and grueling away games within a course in Moldova, Israel and Scotland in September. We are also hoping for a real home advantage with our fans behind us in autumn. It is important for us that the decision has been made. Now it's time to focus on the things that we can influence, ”says team boss Franco Foda.

In conclusion, it should be noted that the ÖFB will continue to try everything within the scope of the current possibilities to obtain a release for the players under contract in the German Bundesliga. In this context, a letter was sent to all German clubs today, which, on the one hand, underlines the strict prevention and hygiene measures within the framework of the course and, on the other hand, again transports the request to the clubs to obtain special permits for the legionnaires in a double pass with the local health authorities .

I think something like 16 players in the last Austrian squad played in the German Bundesliga.

EDIT: List of players in the last Austria squad from the Bundesliga and number of caps in brackets:

GK: Pervan (7),

Defenders: Dragovic (86), Alaba (76), Hinteregger (53), Lainer (25), Trimmel (10), Lienhart (2),

Midfielders: Baumgartlinger (82), Ilsanker (48), Lazaro (29), Schlager (17), Baumgartner (5),

Strikers: Sabitzer (46), Gregoritsch (23), Onisiwo (10), Kalajdzic (2)

That's quite a chunk of your squad, and a lot of experienced players, to be missing.

Edited by G51

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

I think something like 16 players in the last Austrian squad played in the German Bundesliga.

EDIT: List of players in the last Austria squad from the Bundesliga and number of caps in brackets:

Defenders: Dragovic (86), Alaba (76), Hinteregger (53), Lainer (25), Trimmel (10), Lienhart (2),

Midfielders: Baumgartlinger (82), Ilsanker (48), Lazaro (29), Schlager (17), Baumgartner (5),

That's quite a chunk of your squad, and a lot of experienced players, to be missing.

Huge blow for the posters who spend the week leading up to the game telling us how good the opposition are based on a glance at Wikipedia.

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

Huge blow for the posters who spend the week leading up to the game telling us how good the opposition are based on a glance at Wikipedia.

They'd still have some good players - Arnautovic is one that stands out. But if this holds and the Bundesliga players don't play, we really should be handing out a bodying to this collection of circus freaks

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

Only 3 players from their last squad that had more than 15 caps but didn’t play in Germany...Marco Arnautovic (86), Louis Schaub (17) and Andreas Ulmer (21).

Adrian Grbic up front I recognise as a decent player aswell but only has 7, although 4 goals from those caps.

Will still be tough but a lot less tough.

6 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Only 3 players from their last squad that had more than 15 caps but didn’t play in Germany...Marco Arnautovic (86), Louis Schaub (17) and Andreas Ulmer (21).

Adrian Grbic up front I recognise as a decent player aswell but only has 7, although 4 goals from those caps.

Will still be tough but a lot less tough.

Grbic is fine but nothing more than that. Schaub plays for Luzen and "Andreas Ulmer" is actually one of those greyed out players from Football Manager.

An Austrian national team with no German-based players is a clown car outfit and I expect Mr Clarke and the lads to show the continentals how the game is played.

Edited by G51

Just now, G51 said:

Grbic is fine but nothing more than that. Schaub plays for Luzen and "Andreas Ulmer" is actually one of those greyed out players from Football Manager.

An Austrian national team with no German-based players is a clown car operation and I expect Mr Clarke and the lads to show the continentals how the game is played.

In fairness, my knowledge of Grbic is purely based on Football Manager aswell so possibly naive of me to say he’ll be a big threat.

Although I do hope these messages arent bumped in 10 days time after he bags a late equaliser.

5 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

In fairness, my knowledge of Grbic is purely based on Football Manager aswell so possibly naive of me to say he’ll be a big threat.

Although I do hope these messages arent bumped in 10 days time after he bags a late equaliser.

Let's be honest here: this forum has far too much pessimism in it. Full of opinions like "Oh, we'll never get through the Nations League playoffs with titans like Israel and Serbia in it!" "Oh, the Faroes and Moldova, those are tough fifth and sixth seeds to get!"

What this forum needs is a substantial injection of hubris. We're playing Austria 'B', the Faroes and Israel this month. That's nine points almost guaranteed. We could even afford to call up absolute haddies like Andy Considine and expect to win those games.

Just now, G51 said:

Let's be honest here: this forum has far too much pessimism in it. Full of opinions like "Oh, we'll never get through the Nations League playoffs with titans like Israel and Serbia in it!" "Oh, the Faroes and Moldova, those are tough fifth and sixth seeds to get!"

What this forum needs is a substantial injection of hubris. We're playing Austria 'B', the Faroes and Israel this month. That's nine points almost guaranteed. We could even afford to call up absolute haddies like Andy Considine and expect to win those games.

I agree in general about the pessimism.

But I take it you never watched any of the 500 times we have played israel recently. 3 points is far from guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I agree in general about the pessimism.

But I take it you never watched any of the 500 times we have played israel recently. 3 points is far from guaranteed.

My memories of Israel are us dumping them out of the Nations League playoffs in a match that had Scott McKenna in central defence.

Doddle.

Just now, G51 said:

My memories of Israel are us dumping them out of the Nations League playoffs in a match that had Scott McKenna in central defence.

Doddle.

My memories is that they have many players who would walk into our squad.

Including their whole forward line. 

Dabbur, zahavi, Solomon (probably all spelt wrong)

And a right back who seems to get the better of Robertson every game.

Just now, G51 said:

Doddle.

Im not saying we can win, we can and probably should. But their more than a decent game for us.

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

My memories is that they have many players who would walk into our squad.

Including their whole forward line. 

Dabbur, zahavi, Solomon (probably all spelt wrong)

And a right back who seems to get the better of Robertson every game.

Only thing I remember about Erin Zahavi is him sending a penalty kick straight into the arms of David Marshall.

They are fucking garbage, hence why they are in Pot 4 and ranked 87 in the world. They have a couple half-decent attackers, but overall we should be beating them fairly comfortably. I really hope we have learned our lessons from the games against them as they really aren't that good at all, we just gave them far too much respect and space to play to their strengths.