Financial collapse of Rangers FC in 2012

46 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

If you want to promote bigotry as something you are ok with then carry on.

Sorry, I’m confused by what you’ve said here.

Are you saying that by choosing to go to Ibrox, I am promoting that bigotry is okay?

8 hours ago, AJF said:

Give it a rest mate, I go to watch the football and support my team as I'm sure you do. Get off your moral high-horse and spare me the 'decency' lecture.

Football stadiums up and down the country have an element of bams and there are examples of sectarian/racist/unsavoury behaviour that can be found at almost all of them. Should kids be stopped going to any football ground if that's the case?

Because I choose to go to Ibrox you assume I have no "semblance of decency"? What a lot of pish.

You can't just ignore it, and if you take children you're exposing them to it, it is a massive big elephant in the Ibrox stadium, and it stinks the game out in Scotland. If you're happy to subject your children to that vile  shite it says all i need to know about you, i certainly wouldn't. Bad enough when your hard core fans come visiting our ground, i know some people that just don't attend these home games because it disgusts them.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Question for St Mirren supporters: when liquidation became a likelihood for the old Rangers, didn't some Ibrox connected group try to make a bid to buy the Buddies? Something at the back of my mind about it, 

I always thought Charles Green & co. should have taken over some non-league team in the far north of England. I doubt the morality of killing another team would've been an issue, and a lot of Rangers fans were used to travelling long distances to games anyway. They'd likely be a Football League club by now, even if the owners fucked up as badly as they did during the "journey" through Scotland's lower leagues; maybe even a Premier League side if things had gone really well.

But, hey, this falls into the category of 'alternative utopian reality'. And we'd still have been stuck with Celtic.

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You can't just ignore it, and if you take children you're exposing them to it, it is a massive big elephant in the Ibrox stadium, and it stinks the game out in Scotland. If you're happy to subject your children to that vile  shite it says all i need to know about you, i certainly wouldn't. Bad enough when your hard core fans come visiting our ground, i know some people that just don't attend these home games because it disgusts them.

ALrsW8.gif

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Question for St Mirren supporters: when liquidation became a likelihood for the old Rangers, didn't some Ibrox connected group try to make a bid to buy the Buddies? Something at the back of my mind about it, 

That was absolute dugshite. 

Stewart Gilmour, George Campbell, Brian MacAusland, Allan Marshall, Gordon Scott, ? Purves and I can't recall the last guy's name...they were all die-hard St, Mirren fans who had already rejected numerous takeovers (including Div's Argentinian consortium) and were never going to sell their shares to anyone other than a Saints fan.

Edited by Arch Stanton

18 minutes ago, bennett said:

ALrsW8.gif

Sweep sweep, nothing to see/hear. 

That's the attitude that will keep this shite going at Ibrox for the foreseeable future. As bad as the morons that sing the songs, are the ones standing/sitting there pretending it isn't happening. And bringing the next generation along to games for them to join in.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Sweep sweep, nothing to see/hear. 

That's the attitude that will keep this shite going at Ibrox for the foreseeable future. As bad as the morons that sing the songs, are the ones standing/sitting there pretending it isn't happening. And bringing the next generation along to games for them to join in.

I’ve no idea when the last time you were at Ibrox was, but the songbook is radically different than it was even ten years ago. We still have progress to make but it’s moving that way quickly. The Club and the fans groups deserve credit for making Everyone Anyone a success and for creating new songs.

The idea that young kids are being indoctrinated into hating Catholics by attending matches at Ibrox is simply laughable, and will therefore be treated as such. Rangers fans in their 20s and 30s generally reflect the Scottish population, which is unsurprising given how broad a cross-section of society they’re pulled from. The percentage of bigots will be roughly similar to that of any support in Scotland, and similar to the nation as a whole.

Also, the perception that 40 of the 42 clubs are family-friendly happy places full of sunshine and good vibes, and the other 2 are dark corners of hell where the most despicable bile gets spewed is... let’s say, inaccurate.

11 minutes ago, G51 said:

The Club and the fans groups deserve credit for making Everyone Anyone a success and for creating new songs.

The idea that young kids are being indoctrinated into hating Catholics by attending matches at Ibrox is simply laughable, and will therefore be treated as such.

Shameful sectarian graffiti has been plastered on the side of a Glasgow bridge.

The words 'Kill all *****s' were written on Kingston Bridge next to the River Clyde with union jack colours in the background. 

***** is a derogatory term used to describe Catholics.

A council spokeswoman said: “It’s sad to see sectarian graffiti of this type on display.

"The matter has been reported and our graffiti teams will remove it at the earliest opportunity.”

It comes after videos of Rangers fans' group Union Bears gathered last night ahead of the Old Firm derby.

Videos shared on social media showed a large group of people gathered by the bridge and singing 'Billy Boys'. 

BDF8673B-A144-4279-A4EB-6AD1F3DE5D2C.jpeg

Edited by Drew Brees

5 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Shameful sectarian graffiti has been plastered on the side of a Glasgow bridge.

The words 'Kill all *****s' were written on Kingston Bridge next to the River Clyde with union jack colours in the background. 

***** is a derogatory term used to describe Catholics.

A council spokeswoman said: “It’s sad to see sectarian graffiti of this type on display.

"The matter has been reported and our graffiti teams will remove it at the earliest opportunity.”

It comes after videos of Rangers fans' group Union Bears gathered last night ahead of the Old Firm derby.

Videos shared on social media showed a large group of people gathered by the bridge and singing 'Billy Boys'. 

BDF8673B-A144-4279-A4EB-6AD1F3DE5D2C.jpeg

I refer you to the part (that you edited out) where I said “we still have progress to make”.

The ultra groups still have wee edgelords within them. This is not a phenomenon unique to Rangers, and it certainly doesn’t backup the assertion that Ibrox is a place where kids are radicalised into hating Catholics. It also doesn’t contradict anything I said in my post.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

I refer you to the part (that you edited out) where I said “we still have progress to make”.

The ultra groups still have wee edgelords within them. This is not a phenomenon unique to Rangers, and it certainly doesn’t backup the assertion that Ibrox is a place where kids are radicalised into hating Catholics. It also doesn’t contradict anything I said in my post.

“The club and the fans group deserve credit”

Just now, Drew Brees said:

“The club and the fans group deserve credit”

Complete the sentence at least.

“...for making Everyone Anyone a success and for creating new songs.“

I’m sure you are aware that the Union Bears isn’t the only fan group.

If you’re going to argue on this, the very least you could do is argue in good faith, rather than use selective quoting to try and make it appear as if I’m justifying something that is completely unacceptable.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Complete the sentence at least.

“...for making Everyone Anyone a success and for creating new songs.“

I’m sure you are aware that the Union Bears isn’t the only fan group.

If you’re going to argue on this, the very least you could do is argue in good faith, rather than use selective quoting to try and make it appear as if I’m justifying something that is completely unacceptable.

Ibrox has improved since my first visit there in the early 2000's, in the stadium at least. I think it's worth acknowledging that and it's disingenuous not to.

However, most people here's experience of Rangers fans would be the away support that go round the country. And they have not improved in the slightest. They clearly revel in promoting the Rangers 'culture'. Not to mention that I've noticed outside Ibrox I wouldn't have too much trouble buying a scarf celebrating the UVF or King Billy.

I'm still far from convinced that the club has much desire to distance itself from its 'roots', as long as it stays within certain lines. Much like Nigel Farage is happy to have some of his 'traditional' backers, as long as they don't blurt out something overtly racist in public.

I would say that culturally Rangers is far from the happy, wholesome club you would hope it to be, but credit where it's due for getting its house in order on match days.

49 minutes ago, G51 said:

The idea that young kids are being indoctrinated into hating Catholics by attending matches at Ibrox is simply laughable, and will therefore be treated as such. Rangers fans in their 20s and 30s generally reflect the Scottish population, which is unsurprising given how broad a cross-section of society they’re pulled from. The percentage of bigots will be roughly similar to that of any support in Scotland, and similar to the nation as a whole.

I'm not desperate to wade into this well worn territory, but there are problems in what you're saying here.

Of course, plenty Rangers fans are perfectly decent people.  Going to Ibrox as a home fan doesn't render you a bigot, keen to indoctrinate your kids in hatred.

However, it's simply the case that attending Ibrox as an away fan can be pretty unpleasant.  I suspect you barely notice the backdrop of sectarian tat for sale outside the ground.  Now the club doesn't sell that, but they sure as Hell don't tackle it either.  The songbook might have softened, but I've heard plenty evidence of it in full flow, and I don't need to go back ten years.  Neither does Steve Clarke.

The bit in bold is frankly ludicrous.  Not all Rangers fans are anti-Catholic bigots, but pretty much all anti-Catholic bigots support Rangers.  It's the club that attracts them.

44 minutes ago, G51 said:

That was always a funny thing when I worked in Glasgow (2005-2008), many of the Rangers lads I worked with had RC burds and nobody give a toss. I played 5s with a mixed group of Rangers and Celtic lads from work. We weren't all singing round a fireplace  and there was a lot of robust and funny banter but we were capable of conducting ourselves like humans and going for a pint after a 5s game. As the token Hibby who took the piss out of all of them and got plenty back I was in receipt of regular "match spares" at both Ibrox and Parkhead. Whilst there are elements of knuckledragging you'll never get rid of I have to say the atmosphere was much tamer than I remember from the 80s and 90s where there were lots of bampots and bigots. 

Edited by AndyM