Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

There will be a coaching job at Celtic for Broonie when he finishes playing, maybe the under 18's.
I think Scott Brown will see this opportunity if offered, coming to soon for him. 
I've said before if Clarke took the aberdeen job he would split Celtic and sevco that's the type of manager McCormack should be looking for.

You're doing that on purpose, aren't you?

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'd like to think that in the summer of 1977 (when Billy McNeill was appointed) and 1978 (when he was replaced by Fergie) that the supporters had trust in the highly competent Chris Anderson had went through the proper process of taking applications, interviewing and identifying the best candidate. 

Unfortunately, fast forward to 2021, and it doesn't appear that Dave Cormack has been so thorough. It's natural that supporters should be concerned if Stephen Glass is appointed. He doesn't seem to be best qualified for the role and Cormack could be accused of using a form of nepotism than merit to fill the role. 

Of course, nepotism is prevalent in football. For instance, managers nearly always appoint friends as their assistants like Glass with Brown. However, the concern is that this is the Executive Chairman seemingly employing this flawed method to identify his man. 

In my opinion, it has a faint whiff of the Vladimir Romanovs about it... 

I tend to agree with this. The question we should be asking is, 'if Glass wasn't a friend of Cormack, would he be within a million miles of this job ?'

The answer is of course, 'no'.

I think it's fairly obvious that McInnes's days were numbered as soon as Cormack took over.  The Gallagher and Hernandez fiascos show that the Chairman has had an agenda since day one, and the agenda is to further connections with Atlanta/make Aberdeen an experimental dumping ground for Atlanta (delete as appropriate).

I don't trust Cormack because he has various interests at heart. In no particular order.....Atlanta United FC/Aberdeen FC/himself.

He seems driven by ego, and like you said there's a touch of the Romanov's about all of this.

33 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm not looking at it in isolation of how St Johnstone's season has gone, which has obviously ended up excellent. I'm talking about the overall quality of the league.

Definitely. The league this season has been an absolute charade, it's been entirely about starting it and ensuring it's completed. Anything in between has been incidental.

it's completely understandable why it's been poor quality but just because there are reasons for it doesn't change the fact that it's been poor. Anyone who was anticipating a vintage year last summer or had expectations that it'd be a remotely normal season was clearly kidding themselves on. I said it on our thread a couple of times but I found it really weird that you had sections of fans who were judging performances and results like players should just be going out and "doing fitba'".

You've seen budgets reduced massively across the league, teams starting the season with players having not kicked a ball in 6 months and no real pre-season to speak off, it feels like there's been substantially higher instances of injury before you even get to everything Covid related including self-isolation and postponements.

Consequently you've just seen all these odd runs of form throughout the season St Johnstone started with 2 wins from 10, we didn't get our first win until September and have subsequently had a run where we went 12 without a win in the league, Aberdeen have 2 wins in the last 13.

Absolutely none of that is going to be conducive to a competitive league. It's entirely a least worst situation.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Consequently you've just seen all these odd runs of form throughout the season St Johnstone started with 2 wins from 10, we didn't get our first win until September and have subsequently had a run where we went 12 without a win in the league, Aberdeen have 2 wins in the last 13.

Absolutely none of that is going to be conducive to a competitive league. It's entirely a least worst situation.

I've not checked, but are those runs not fairly standard for clubs in the lower half?

Feel like every season now we have long winless runs followed by long runs of picking up points.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Definitely. The league this season has been an absolute charade, it's been entirely about starting it and ensuring it's completed. Anything in between has been incidental.

it's completely understandable why it's been poor quality but just because there are reasons for it doesn't change the fact that it's been poor. Anyone who was anticipating a vintage year last summer or had expectations that it'd be a remotely normal season was clearly kidding themselves on. I said it on our thread a couple of times but I found it really weird that you had sections of fans who were judging performances and results like players should just be going out and "doing fitba'".

You've seen budgets reduced massively across the league, teams starting the season with players having not kicked a ball in 6 months and no real pre-season to speak off, it feels like there's been substantially higher instances of injury before you even get to everything Covid related including self-isolation and postponements.

Absolutely none of that is going to be conducive to a competitive league.

Has it been poor ?

I've no doubt at all that Motherwell,  Celtic, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen fans would say that this has been a poor quality season. 

Fans of teams like Rangers, Hibs, St Johnstone, Livi and St Mirren would say otherwise. They've all improved, regardless of circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've not checked, but are those runs not fairly standard for clubs in the lower half?

Feel like every season now we have long winless runs followed by long runs of picking up points.

Sevco 18 games
Celtic  9 games
Hibs 9 games
Aberdeen 6 games
Livingston 14 games
St Mirren 11 games
St Johnstone 11 games
Dundee Utd 7 games
Motherwell 3 games
Ross County 3 games
Hamilton 3 games
Kilmarnock 3 games

Unbeaten runs domestically.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Any other hot takes than a bad manager could mean bad results? 

In any given match day any team can take points off another team from top to bottom, this shows the competitive nature of the league.
Bad results are subjective Celtic and Aberdeen losing to Ross county as an example. 
If Livingston can put a 14 game run together any team can do the same.

4 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Anyway let’s get this holocaust of a thread back on topic

I have been amused at the reaction of some of our fans at the prospect of Brown coming in

Talk of ripping up seasons etc :lol:

Time to grow up. Scottish Football is a village and if we’re employing someone it’s reasonably likely they will have connections to the green or blue b*****ds 

He could easily take a coaching job at Celtic and work with little pressure but he clearly wants to test himself.

He’d get my backing.

Does every fan base have tantrums like this?

Scottbrown GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'd like to think that in the summer of 1977 (when Billy McNeill was appointed) and 1978 (when he was replaced by Fergie) that the supporters had trust in the highly competent Chris Anderson had went through the proper process of taking applications, interviewing and identifying the best candidate. 

Unfortunately, fast forward to 2021, and it doesn't appear that Dave Cormack has been so thorough. It's natural that supporters should be concerned if Stephen Glass is appointed. He doesn't seem to be best qualified for the role and Cormack could be accused of using a form of nepotism than merit to fill the role. 

Of course, nepotism is prevalent in football. For instance, managers nearly always appoint friends as their assistants like Glass with Brown. However, the concern is that this is the Executive Chairman seemingly employing this flawed method to identify his man. 

In my opinion, it has a faint whiff of the Vladimir Romanovs about it... 

Agreed.  It's concerning that there doesn't seem to be many alternative stories out there, apart from Glass & Brown.  It begs the question: why isn't Sheerin being considered ahead of these two, given that he's got more managerial experience than Glass & Brown combined?  Not that I'm advocating Sheerin gets the job necessarily, just that the Glass/Brown scenario smells a bit off, as described.  The only thing keeping me from despair is the hope that the club has a DoF lined up with broader contacts than UK/Eire.  If not, then we've Glass, Brown & Paw Broon to look forward to.   

25 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Agreed.  It's concerning that there doesn't seem to be many alternative stories out there, apart from Glass & Brown.  It begs the question: why isn't Sheerin being considered ahead of these two, given that he's got more managerial experience than Glass & Brown combined?  Not that I'm advocating Sheerin gets the job necessarily, just that the Glass/Brown scenario smells a bit off, as described.  The only thing keeping me from despair is the hope that the club has a DoF lined up with broader contacts than UK/Eire.  If not, then we've Glass, Brown & Paw Broon to look forward to.   

Sheerin may have the next 7 games in charge....