Sarah Everard

Just now, beefybake said:

Loooks rather like the accused has accidently , and repeatedly whacked his head against a radiator a few times....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/13/sarah-everard-met-officer-appears-court-murder-wayne-couzens

Reminded me of the Guildford 4, and Birmingham Six, who appeared in court looking like they'd had the sh*t kicked out of them while in custody.   Policemen reverting to type. 

Guilty or innocent, it's not at all OK.    

If he's a serving copper, there's a chance he kicked f**k out of himself, at least moreso than with other folk in custody...

On the side topic of weird teachers, my guidance counsellor was a chronic alcoholic science teacher who got drinker and stunk more and more of whisky as the day went on. Full on slurring his words by afternoon. Other than the kids commenting among themselves about it, it was never mentioned and went on for years (and had been going on for years).

One of the tech teachers was a sadist on a power trip with a sheer hatred of children and who would intimidate and threaten kids routinely.

A couple of the teachers were very obviously in the middle of breakdowns or on the verge of them.

That particular school generally was very old, dilapidated and had a general air of belligerence and violence of varying degrees of severity was a daily occurrence. None of the teachers ever intervened in it and would openly pass such incidents by. If victims complained to the closest passing teacher they were instantly dismissed. A whole culture of negativity.

This was mid 90s. Some of the teachers who taught me had also taught my mum 30 years earlier. Thankfully they bulldozed the place.

5 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I know several serving police officers. The idea that they are bastions of goodness is absurd. It's an open secret that people only join to get some power and that they're of a particularly unpleasant personality type in the first place. Sadly it's no surprise that there is a long list of them who've been jailed for crimes. The list of them who've done terrible things with impunity and gone unpunished is far, far, far longer.

Just a few bad apples, the majority of police officers are fine upstanding...

Nah sorry, I can't bring myself to type it, even in jest. 

Just now, Shotgun said:

Just a few bad apples, the majority of police officers are fine upstanding...

Nah sorry, I can't bring myself to type it, even in jest. 

Of course my experience is purely personal and anecdotal, but I can't recall a positive interaction with a police officer in my lifetime whilst they've been on duty.

Stereotypes may often be unfair and biased and passe, but isn't it interesting that the stereotypes and opinion towards police is so universal? These reputations don't come from nowhere.

15 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I completely missed the story about the police officers taking selfies next to a dead woman's body last year. Grim profession full of scumbags.

An 18 year old is going on trial for that. He was arrested at his family home 3 weeks later.

I know several serving police officers. The idea that they are bastions of goodness is absurd. It's an open secret that people only join to get some power and that they're of a particularly unpleasant personality type in the first place. Sadly it's no surprise that there is a long list of them who've been jailed for crimes. The list of them who've done terrible things with impunity and gone unpunished is far, far, far longer.
This x100.

From my admittedly vague memory, there were about five boys in my year at school who joined the Polis. One of them is a genuinely good c**t, has been a community policeman for years and takes his duties seriously. The other 4 became arrogant wanks as soon as they were in uniform. One was emptied for assaulting the husband of the woman he was pumping on the side, another eventually left because he genuinely thought he'd be knee deep in clunge and loaded [emoji23]. The others as far as I know are still in, and probably still utter wankers.

15 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

On the side topic of weird teachers, my guidance counsellor was a chronic alcoholic science teacher who got drinker and stunk more and more of whisky as the day went on. Full on slurring his words by afternoon. Other than the kids commenting among themselves about it, it was never mentioned and went on for years (and had been going on for years).

One of the tech teachers was a sadist on a power trip with a sheer hatred of children and who would intimidate and threaten kids routinely.

A couple of the teachers were very obviously in the middle of breakdowns or on the verge of them.

That particular school generally was very old, dilapidated and had a general air of belligerence and violence of varying degrees of severity was a daily occurrence. None of the teachers ever intervened in it and would openly pass such incidents by. If victims complained to the closest passing teacher they were instantly dismissed. A whole culture of negativity.

This was mid 90s. Some of the teachers who taught me had also taught my mum 30 years earlier. Thankfully they bulldozed the place.

My Biology teacher was an alcoholic as well I think, you’d see him going in/coming out of the pub at lunchtimes and though he was never really drunk, he always seemed a bit tipsy. We really liked him though as he was kind and friendly, and he was a really good teacher with interesting classes. So we never said anything.

My old school was bulldozed as well - beginning to wonder if we went to the same place 🤣

https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/13974584.teacher-put-on-sex-register/

I remember this happening, my mum and dad live in Helensburgh, was very big local news at the time. Like Kinky Layton, it was old style pedoing, before it got such a bad name.

"Speaking for the defence, Roddy Boag told the court: 'He [Orr] was required to prepare projects [as part of his role]. One of them was for the older pupils about puberty. He started off by accessing the internet to get some information about this.

'Although the computer unit seized both [machines] there was nothing on his own personal computer to cause concern. The images all related to images on the laptop provided to him by the school for carrying out school duties. Also on the lap top was some information and preparatory work on the project which he was undertaking at the time.' More than half of the images found on the lap top were considered indecent or inappropriate. Two involved a degree of nudity while others were seen to contain erotic or sexually suggestive poses.

Mr Boag argued that some of the images were similar to the type catalogue companies might feature for the purposes of trying to sell clothing to young girls, but admitted that others were of a more sexually suggestive nature.

He added: 'What started out as a legitimate pattern of research for a school project has lead to him appearing in court. The line has been crossed.' He added: 'The other point that should be made is that while there are a significant amount of images, you can access a website which will have a number of thumb nail images on a web page which can be opened up with a double click on the mouse. To enlarge the image, you have to double click. At least one if the images which involves nudity had not been double clicked and opened. It"s almost a situation of the accused dipping his toe into something but not getting much of his foot wet."

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

Of course my experience is purely personal and anecdotal, but I can't recall a positive interaction with a police officer in my lifetime whilst they've been on duty.

Stereotypes may often be unfair and biased and passe, but isn't it interesting that the stereotypes and opinion towards police is so universal? These reputations don't come from nowhere.

I was brought up in a "The policeman is your friend" type environment. As a kid it was drummed into me that if you got lost, find a policeman. If you needed help, find a policeman. If you're ever in trouble of any sort, find a policeman and he'll help you. It's what they do.

To my surprise, I became a suspected criminal simply by becoming a teenage boy. Far from being my friend, these b*****ds would routinely harass me and my friends, call us abusive names and on several occasions, slap us around for their own amusement. I was a pretty good kid (no really) but these were for such sins as being out "too late", or not coming quickly enough when they called me over to them. Once I was slammed face first into the side of a paddy-wagon, hard enough to draw blood and cause me to go to work with a black eye and swollen face. Why? Well, I looked a bit like another lad. And this was in a small, relatively crime free town. I can only imagine what my life would've been like had I been a black kid in an inner city. When I've related these stories as an adult, people have responded with "Well, you must have done SOMETHING to deserve it."

On the rare occasions a cop 'does' get investigated, it's by his mates who, surprise, surprise invariably find him innocent. Aided and abetted by the right-wing press who instantly go into blame the victim mode. Scouring their history to find anything they may have done wrong in the past. And yet huge numbers of people convince themselves that this "proves" the cop's innocence. I can only imagine it's too scary for them to believe what's right in front of them. It's quite bizarre.

It's also no surprise we've seen such a big uptick in reports of police brutality now that the public have the ability to record the shit that's going on. Previously, their only option being to report it to...another cop. Which was obviously pointless.

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I was brought up in a "The policeman is your friend" type environment. As a kid it was drummed into me that if you got lost, find a policeman. If you needed help, find a policeman. If you're ever in trouble of any sort, find a policeman and he'll help you. It's what they do.

To my surprise, I became a suspected criminal simply by becoming a teenage boy. Far from being my friend, these b*****ds would routinely harass me and my friends, call us abusive names and on several occasions, slap us around for their own amusement. I was a pretty good kid (no really) but these were for such sins as being out "too late", or not coming quickly enough when they called me over to them. Once I was slammed face first into the side of a paddy-wagon, hard enough to draw blood and cause me to go to work with a black eye and swollen face. Why? Well, I looked a bit like another lad. And this was in a small, relatively crime free town. I can only imagine what my life would've been like had I been a black kid in an inner city. When I've related these stories as an adult, people have responded with "Well, you must have done SOMETHING to deserve it."

On the rare occasions a cop 'does' get investigated, it's by his mates who, surprise, surprise invariably find him innocent. Aided and abetted by the right-wing press who instantly go into blame the victim mode. Scouring their history to find anything they may have done wrong in the past. And yet huge numbers of people convince themselves that this "proves" the cop's innocence. I can only imagine it's too scary for them to believe what's right in front of them. It's quite bizarre.

It's also no surprise we've seen such a big uptick in reports of police brutality now that the public have the ability to record the shit that's going on. Previously, their only option being to report it to...another cop. Which was obviously pointless.

Yes I also have many experiences of cops harassing, intimidating and mistreating me. As do my family and my friends. But there's a section of society (the same section who support the military and right wing government) who will defend the police in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

Was also brought up to believe the polis were good guys until two of them showed at my parents door to have a pop at me and my brother for playing football and getting a ball too close to a car. I only have vague memories of the situation but my mother bawled the two of them out for wasting everyone's time, recognised one as a former pupil and threw them out when they started thinking the uniform meant something and came the c**t about it, and complained about it for long enough she got an apology from the heid bummer of Elgin police, who I believe came to the house to make it.  

Nothing usually winds her up but any time that subject gets brought up you can see she's still pissed about it. :lol:

I’ve only had a couple of firs hand experiences with police, and to be fair one of them they were very sound and actually let me off with blatant speeding, the other they were nice enough but just absolutely useless at doing anything and didn’t follow up at all.

However I also know second-hand some senior police and some of the stories they tell,  and seem disgustingly proud of, are outrageous tbh and confirm that a large number of them only join to get the power and ability to act in a criminal way without threat of being charged. A lot of them would be in jail if not the police.

40 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Shocking. You must have done something to deserve it, though. 

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

One of the modern studies teachers at my old school was quietly retired after bringing a 15yo girl in for detention, then locking her in a stationery cupboard for a couple of hours. The school weren't actually going to do anything about it until her dad found out and went absolutely apeshit.

Did he lock himself in with her?

A music teacher did the same to a nutter in my class. He spent the time quietly ripping up all the books.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Same - had an incident when I was still in my teens that was a wake-up call though. I'd seen my girlfriend at the time onto her bus at the old Anderston bus station and was walking up to the G2 - the Venue as was - to meet a couple of mates. Two polis appeared from nowhere in front of me on West George St and asked me why I was running. I hadn't been, and said as much...

"Don't get cheeky wi' us ya wee fanny. We SAW you acting suspiciously...."

Oh f**k.

This went on for a couple of minutes...as they were talking and getting off on their wee power trip one of them kept edging round to the side of me, and i kept trying to keep the two of them in view, 'cos I had a premonition of one of them putting me down and ending up getting a proper doing. Salvation came not a minute too soon...an older more senior polis came walking up from Pitt St...we were maybe only 100 yards away from the big station.

"What the f**k are youse two doing?"

"Nothing sir...we were just asking him a few questions..."

"On your way, son..."

Couldn't see my arse for dust I got out of there so quick. I can only guess he'd seen the whole thing happening from an office window and decided to intervene when he saw what essentially was a pair of dicks looking to kick f**k out of/huckle the first person they saw so they could get back in from the cold.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Pretty similar to my school days, although I went to Larkhall Academy so it wasn't too surprising tbh