Sarah Everard

14 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I'm talking about the PR, not the details of how the search/investigation was carried out.

As hk blues states, do you feel its been a satisfactory job (PR wise) thus far?

They appear to have done everything that would normally be expected in a MP investigation.  Released details of where and when she was last seen, the basic circumstances of her last known position and an appeal for information.

Everything else appears to have been driven by the furore surrounding the investigation.  They've not ascertained any criminality and in the (presumed) absence of further information, the chief hypothesis is that she's entered the river.  Police comms shouldn't be driven to satisfy the public thirst for knowledge about a case they have no real right to be intimately involved in.  As the family have essentially said yesterday - people need to step back and let the investigation unfold.

Not getting at you though, I'm genuinely interested in what you would have done differently though.

1 minute ago, energyzone said:

They appear to have done everything that would normally be expected in a MP investigation.  Released details of where and when she was last seen, the basic circumstances of her last known position and an appeal for information.

Everything else appears to have been driven by the furore surrounding the investigation.  They've not ascertained any criminality and in the (presumed) absence of further information, the chief hypothesis is that she's entered the river.  Police comms shouldn't be driven to satisfy the public thirst for knowledge about a case they have no real right to be intimately involved in.  As the family have essentially said yesterday - people need to step back and let the investigation unfold.

Not getting at you though, I'm genuinely interested in what you would have done differently though.

I agree on this and its exactly your point about Police comms not being driven to satisfy the public thirst (or media thirst) for knowledge. that Im getting at. 

Did they release the person information due to external pressure, did they have to? is it normal to do that so early on in an ongoing investigation?

I suppose the real reasons for the level and type of info released will be come apparent soon and I would imagine someone is getting their arse felt over that.

Anyway, will tune in later whilst having my tea from the chipper. 

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Do you think the police have done a satisfactory job thus far?  

That's not a leading question b.t.w.

In the interests of transparency Lancashire have referred themselves to the police review body for England and Wales, i think its a good idea to let them conduct their enquiry, which will scrutinise every aspect/decision/action. Given no one but them outside (and the family) the enquiry will know every step of the investigation its just speculating as to how good a job they have done. They may have done a rubbish job, they may have done a great job, no one will really know until its been reviewed. People can rightly have an opinion on it, whether its a diver, a ‘retired detective’ creating a media presence for themselves, an MP or a journalist who was threatening to reveal the information that the police subsequently revealed and then pretended to be outraged by the revelation, or a random punter on the internet we will all form our own opinions regardless of how informed it is. 

I imagine that this is how many investigations go in the US. Loads of media coverage, amateurs/podcasters all over the place, conspiracy theories, short-lived celebrity status of a few and at the centre of it, police trying to do a job whilst being pulled in all directions by the maelstrom. And a family no further forward. 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I imagine that this is how many investigations go in the US. Loads of media coverage, amateurs/podcasters all over the place, conspiracy theories, short-lived celebrity status of a few and at the centre of it, police trying to do a job whilst being pulled in all directions by the maelstrom. And a family no further forward. 

There was a case in Oregon last year where several college students were murdered and the investigation attracted massive attention from online investigators, some of whom even published photographs of people they thought were suspects. Crazy.

Anyway, in more Met news, Katie Proce has been informed that several officers are facing gross misconduct charges for comments they made in a WhatsApp chat about her son, Harvey Price. For those who don’t know Harvey Price has several disabilities and is black.

who knows what they said but I’m pretty sure that Frankie Boyle and others made jokes about Harvey Price on prime television.

20 hours ago, energyzone said:

I'm not in a position to answer that last question really.  

I guess when the PM himself questions the investigation there must be so grounds for concern amongst those who know better than I.  

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I'm not in a position to answer that last question really.  

I guess when the PM himself questions the investigation there must be so grounds for concern amongst those who know better than I.  

I don't know you, but I have my doubts that the former should be included in the latter.

1 minute ago, EvilScotsman said:

I don't know you, but I have my doubts that the former should be included in the latter.

Regardless of his political astuteness, or more correctly lack of, he will at least be getting advice from folk who know better than him or I.  

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Or a typical politician, spotting a bandwagon to jump on.

You mean the guy who flew to NI the other day and held a 30 min "surgery" with reps from all the political parties, in order that they can spin the narrative that they "consulted" all parties on the new changes to be imposed on the NI protocol..........

That guy?

Just now, Leith Green said:

You mean the guy who flew to NI the other day and held a 30 min "surgery" with reps from all the political parties, in order that they can spin the narrative that they "consulted" all parties on the new changes to be imposed on the NI protocol..........

That guy?

Sounds about right.

A few journalists seem to be upset that the Detective Superintendent is wearing a dress to work. Not like there’s anything else to be focusing on. 

My neighbours a cop and he’s a detective, I sometimes see him leaving for work in a full suit. I’d imagine what the DS is wearing above is appropriate for the role she’s carrying out? 

41 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

A few journalists seem to be upset that the Detective Superintendent is wearing a dress to work. Not like there’s anything else to be focusing

My neighbours a cop and he’s a detective, I sometimes see him leaving for work in a full suit. I’d imagine what the DS is wearing above is appropriate for the role she’s carrying out? 

That’s seems bizzare, I guess once you’ve decided to be against somebody you will pick anything to pile on.    The dress she is wearing seems perfectly acceptable. 

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

That’s seems bizzare, I guess once you’ve decided to be against somebody you will pick anything to pile on.    The dress she is wearing seems perfectly acceptable. 

Bare arms in a formal setting is considered poor etiquette. She should have worn a jacket. My old boss would've sent the harlot home.