Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Is that Irish Under 21 internationalist Rocco Vata you’re arguing shows how Celtic are developing players for the Scottish national team?

I thought he was Albanian to be fair.  I'm not arguing for it.  Just saying that in some cases it will help players.  Doesn't mean those players wouldn't have done well out on loan etc. but isn't true to say it won't benefit the occasional player.  

I'm no expert either but I'd say the LL did more for the development of Owen Moffet(?) than any of his subsequent moves have.

It's horses for courses.  The benefits of the LL to the B teams are there.  It's whether that is worth sacrificing the sporting integrity of the large for which IMO it isnt

49 minutes ago, amigan said:

I'm no expert either but I'd say the LL did more for the development of Owen Moffet(?) than any of his subsequent moves have.

It's horses for courses.  The benefits of the LL to the B teams are there.  It's whether that is worth sacrificing the sporting integrity of the large for which IMO it isnt

Teams like Celtic and Rangers want a ‘B’ team so they can stockpile players and give them game time while they wait to cash in. It’s a productive revenue stream for them; he played for Celtic therefore he must be good etc.

There’s also half an eye on keeping an OF presence in Scottish football if they ever finally get their wish to join some Euro/Arctic/Atlantic Super League.

If the clubs were open about that then fair enough IMO, it’s up to the other clubs to accept it or tell them to GTF. Instead, they’ve tried to pretend it’s vital to improve Scottish football and when that didn’t wash they just flat out bribed their way in.

It has been suggested to me by a member club that the decision to ratify the acceptance of the B teams still has to go through the league AGM, as there are one or two rules to be tweaked. I’m not sure if this is the case, but it would be great if any club who voted for originally has a change of heart and votes against the rule changes.

On 21/01/2024 at 21:56, Cardle is Magic said:

Is that Irish Under 21 internationalist Rocco Vata you’re arguing shows how Celtic are developing players for the Scottish national team?

Did Celtic actually state which national team they were developing youngsters for...

3 hours ago, To B or not B said:

It has been suggested to me by a member club that the decision to ratify the acceptance of the B teams still has to go through the league AGM, as there are one or two rules to be tweaked. I’m not sure if this is the case, but it would be great if any club who voted for originally has a change of heart and votes against the rule changes.

If it's going to be for multiple seasons, they definitely need to tweak the rules because it's only a year at a time right now.

On 21/01/2024 at 21:56, Cardle is Magic said:

Didn't this claim come from Maxwell/SFA along with their ludicrous Conference plan and not actually the clubs themselves?  I'm guessing Celtic and Hearts priority is producing players first and foremost for their first team.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that Celtic has once again sought to have a Lowland League fixture postponed because of international commitments, this time Tranent v Celtic B on 23 March.  Scotland U19s have UEFA games scheduled on 20, 23 and 26 March.

Celtic and Hearts each had 3 players away with the Scotland U19 squad who played two matches in Croatia last week, the second of them on Friday. Both clubs still managed to field sides in the LL on Saturday, and won (in Hearts case against Tranent at Forester's Park), so there is no consistency.

You might have thought that Celtic would be keen to give a "development opportunity" to some of their better U18s against Tranent, as Hearts did at the weekend.

Edited by Footballfirst

46 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I understand that Celtic has once again sought to have a Lowland League fixture postponed because of international commitments, this time Tranent v Celtic B on 23 March.  Scotland U19s have UEFA games scheduled on 20, 23 and 26 March.

Celtic and Hearts each had 3 players away with the Scotland U19 squad who played two matches in Croatia last week, the second of them on Friday. Both clubs still managed to field sides in the LL on Saturday, and won (in Hearts case against Tranent at Forester's Park), so there is no consistency.

You might have thought that Celtic would be keen to give a "development opportunity" to some of their better U18s against Tranent, as Hearts did at the weekend.

The frustrating thing for Tranent is this is now the third cancellation to the home fixture v Celtic B.

Special mention to the Lowland League Board for allowing this to happen.

20 minutes ago, beachboy said:

The frustrating thing for Tranent is this is now the third cancellation to the home fixture v Celtic B.

Special mention to the Lowland League Board for allowing this to happen.

And East kilbride 😉

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Then there would be moans about some teams getting a top B Team and others playing against kids. They do need to be told to honour fixtures or be heavily fined if no valid reason tho.
Not just the B Teams devaluing the league now, Stirling Uni playing various squads now with some Clubs facing their A Team and then some playing a team of new starts.

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

Then there would be moans about some teams getting a top B Team and others playing against kids. They do need to be told to honour fixtures or be heavily fined if no valid reason tho.
Not just the B Teams devaluing the league now, Stirling Uni playing various squads now with some Clubs facing their A Team and then some playing a team of new starts.

B teams shouldn't be in the LL, end off.

9 hours ago, Marten said:

That alone is enough reason not to want B-teams in the league. They devalue the league, that is very clear.

No more so than Uni teams who's squads are decimated during holiday time.

6 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

I'm not aware of Hearts B ever requesting a postponement, they played Tranent with a number of players away with Scotland U19's and still won.  Celtic seem to get away with it for some reason.

Uni teams get off lightly and as you point out, can field pretty weak teams if they're playing pre-term and in holiday periods.   Their U20's in the Development Leagues get the first month of the season off due to lack of players.