Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

Years and years of slow, excruciating progress in building a functional pyramid (that already is still years away from being fully functional), and its integrity could be destroyed and even trashed just because a few teams are offered what amounts to a wee bribe to skip the queue.

It's hardly a big statement, but I am done with supporting non-league football if this goes through.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Jerry - I think you are a very good poster on here. Keen to read your thoughts on this instead of pointless arguments with suspected trolls / aliases deflecting from the issue at hand.

We really need LL supporters to step up here, email their clubs and say they won’t be back if this happens.

The desperation from the people in our game to shoehorn the OF colts in is absolutely sickening. They could be using the same amount of time and resources to devise ways of making the lower leagues better, relegations, play-offs, etc.

I’m loving the progress of the pyramid just now but this will somewhat taint it if it happens.

The OF colts or B sides playing LL sides in friendlies for a season makes very little sense to me.

If the LL came out and said the LL clubs and the LL will benefit by £x and there's a promise by the OF to use their influence to improve movement between tiers 4&5 then I could understand why some LL officials are pushing this....... otherwise get it in the bin.

Stephen McGowan from the Daily Mail, probably one of the best connected journalists in the country, is saying Rangers and Celtic would be paying £25k each for this. That amounts to roughly £3k per club, which is surely nowhere near enough to make any substantial difference.

2 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The OF colts or B sides playing LL sides in friendlies for a season makes very little sense to me.

If the LL came out and said the LL clubs and the LL will benefit by £x and there's a promise by the OF to use their influence to improve movement between tiers 4&5 then I could understand why some LL officials are pushing this....... otherwise get it in the bin.

They have said there's money in it. The numbers i've seen are £25k each. Maybe if that was £25k to each LL club I could understand it, but it's basically just a £50k buy in from the LL.

Since there's this obvious worry about the state of Scottish football's young players signed to full time teams. Maybe bring back the Reserve League 🤔 Is that really any worse than being silent teams in the LL.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The Lowland League should be expelled from the Pyramid if this goes ahead. 

My thoughts exactly. Take the Old Firm boaby = lose the right to promotion to a league that has had to kick this nonsense into touch every six months.

40 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They have said there's money in it. The numbers i've seen are £25k each. Maybe if that was £25k to each LL club I could understand it, but it's basically just a £50k buy in from the LL.

Since there's this obvious worry about the state of Scottish football's young players signed to full time teams. Maybe bring back the Reserve League 🤔 Is that really any worse than being silent teams in the LL.

If LL places are now up for sale at £25k each, I'm sure there is more than one club in the WoS and EoS who could and would write a cheque for that joining fee.

7 hours ago, Born To Run said:

Good to see the same old nonsense getting peddled about crowd numbers. That's a moot point, mind you.

I've put together my thoughts on the proposal. Covered most bases here.

We're basically talking about the two Colt sides playing a glorified friendly campaign for a season and paying member clubs for the priviledge. I don't have an issue with it in principle - my problem is with how this looks to the feeder leagues below. Long been a proponent of two relegation spots...now is the time for it if this is possibly getting passed.

centertv_centertvall_2019-03-22_dn81067.

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

If LL places are now up for sale at £25k each, I'm sure there is more than one club in the WoS and EoS who could and would write a cheque for that joining fee.

The whole thing is pathetic. Some quotes from the OF when quitting the rebranded reserve league after quitting it after the first season.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17611585.rangers-celtic-set-quit-spfl-reserve-league-bid-boost-academy-teams/

The variables in the competition was such that one week you were winning comfortably, the next week was a challenge. It is not right for developing our players.

There is no crowd, no press, no real challenge.

I think there is a lack of consistency in terms of the quality of teams in the Reserve League. One week you can be in a really tough game, but the next game you can be winning 6-0 or 7-0.

One week you are playing on a quality pitch, but the next you are basically playing on a public park. It is about trying to get consistency. It is about the quality and competitiveness.

Anyone think that those things will change after a year of glorified friendlies against Lowland League teams?

Deary fucking me.

I have been a massive supporter of BSC and EK and think the game can only benefit from these “progressive” clubs.

Appreciate Aitken might not echo the thoughts of the EK board, but if them and BSC are the driving force behind this they can both get fucked.

You’d have to imagine they are fairly intelligent people behind the scenes of these clubs, after watching the super league fiasco how can they misjudge supporters feeling towards this? Even George Fraser putting out that statement shows he is completely out of touch or doesn’t care (not sure what one is worse). That statement, regardless of it getting approved will have lost the LL so much support and goodwill after years of upwards trajectory.