Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

Fury as it is revealed Rishi Sunak filmed video cancelling HS2 from Downing Street days BEFORE chaotic Tory conference announcement - as he refuses to apologise to the North for axing train line to Manchester

In his social media video, posted yesterday but seemingly filmed days before, the PM hailed his plans for a new 'Network North' - a series of transport projects that he is aiming to fund through £36billion in savings from cancelling HS2.

He said: 'How are we able to do this? Because I am stopping all phases of HS2 beyond Birmingham and we will reinvest every single penny saved into transport projects across the North and Midlands.' 

But, during the four-day Tory conference, the PM had repeatedly refused to confirm he'd taken a decision on HS2 despite intense speculation about his plans.

'I'm not going to comment on all this speculation,' Mr Sunak had told the BBC on Sunday.

The PM then told Sky News on Tuesday, on the eve of his conference speech, that he was not going to be 'forced into premature decisions'. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I absolutely despise the phrase ‘common sense’

Almost universally used by people you wouldn't trust to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Almost universally used by people you wouldn't trust to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

the same people who say ‘woke’ (and before that ‘political correctness’) to cover whatever thing they’re arguing is bad use ‘common sense’ to mean ‘the right wing thing I believe without any evidence’ 

On 03/10/2023 at 22:13, MazzyStar said:

“15 minute cities” is middle class nonsense. Urban planning in general is middle class nonsense. 

Thinking about where to put houses and shops is middle class? :lol: 

2 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Yes. Urban planning is a very middle class profession and 15 minute cities is just another name for gentrification. 

Building new schemes where you have to drive to get to a shop, pub or school sounds pretty middle class planning to me.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Building new schemes where you have to drive to get to a shop, pub or school sounds pretty middle class planning to me.

In these so called 15 minute cities the people working in the shops, pubs and schools will be priced out and will likely have to drive so it doesn’t really solve much. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Being as it's the Mail whining about it I'm going to take his side on it. Some Borisite or Trussite likely deliberately leaked the Net Zero and HS2 U-turns to sabotage his big conference speech where he'd proclaim them as a radical shift to long term planning, common sense and ending woke nonsense. The Mail political editor is miffed because he wasn't handed the scoop after all that grovelling they've been doing.

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

In these so called 15 minute cities the people working in the shops, pubs and schools will be priced out and will likely have to drive so it doesn’t really solve much. 

I think the idea is that every urban dweller should be within 15 minutes walk of these facilities, not just new developments. That's good for everyone, no?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I think the idea is that every urban dweller should be within 15 minutes walk of these facilities, not just new developments. That's good for everyone, no?

It would be good, but it probably won’t work like that. 

The £36 billion hasn't been borrowed yet and bever will be. A mix of half-hearted promises, outright lies and distortions. They'll do f**k all new but every pothole, every repair and every patch-up job will be loudly proclaimed as a beneficiary of HS2 being cancelled. Then Labour gets in next year and spends their five years saying they can't do anything because of the economic mess left by the preceding party.

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

It would be good, but it probably won’t work like that. 

But if you're acknowledging that it would be good then surely you can agree that it's something we should be aspiring to?

Also, why won't it probably work like that?

17 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

They're not really 15 minute cities, they're actually 30 minute cities. The 5G masts just trick your brain into thinking it's shorter.

You're not fooling me; I can track the path of the sun and time accurately within 60 seconds by its reflection off my tinfoil hat. Oh hang on, that probably won't work in Scotland. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

You're not fooling me; I can track the path of the sun and time accurately within 60 seconds by its reflection off my tinfoil hat. Oh hang on, that probably won't work in Scotland. 

I know we're a northern European backwater, but they do sell tinfoil here.

51 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

They're not really 15 minute cities, they're actually 30 minute cities. The 5G masts just trick your brain into thinking it's shorter.

So the shops aren't small, they're far away.

59 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

The 5G masts just trick your brain into thinking it's shorter.

Tried that excuse; don't think I sold it well enough  :(

3 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

But if you're acknowledging that it would be good then surely you can agree that it's something we should be aspiring to?

Also, why won't it probably work like that?

I think it’ll be difficult to achieve in pre-existing estates without redeveloping a lot of them, and in doing so you’re likely to price out the people living there already. If they don’t do that, then it’s likely to be another difference between the haves and the have nots.

However, I still think it’s a good concept and worth pursuing as an ideal provided that these issues can be worked through. 

4 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

The £36 billion hasn't been borrowed yet and never will be. A mix of half-hearted promises, outright lies and distortions. They'll do f**k all new but every pothole, every repair and every patch-up job will be loudly proclaimed as a beneficiary of HS2 being cancelled. 

I read the news today, oh boy

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Supposedly the reference in the song was lifted from an article in the Daily Mail. All good things come to those who wait.