Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

Just constant money handed to each other,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68122000

Former Tory MP Nadine Dorries says she will return £16,876 in severance pay she mistakenly received for being a cabinet minister.

Government accounts show she received the exit payout from her tenure as culture secretary under Boris Johnson.

But the rules say she should not have received it, because she had reached the age of 65 when she left office.

Ms Dorries said she only received an email about the admin error on Friday.

Speaking to BBC One's Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg, the ex-minister said she would repay the money "on Monday morning".

She added that she was "gutted" to find out, joking that the mix-up "means now everybody knows I'm not 49".

Even by Sunak's normal out of touch behaviour this has got to be a new low

Betting £1k with prize cùnt Piers Morgan that he'll get somebody on the plane to Rwanda before the next election. 

47 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Even by Sunak's normal out of touch behaviour this has got to be a new low

Betting £1k with prize cùnt Piers Morgan that he'll get somebody on the plane to Rwanda before the next election. 

Labour's response:

Labour says this shows Sunak is out of touch. Responding to the inteview, Jonathan Ashworth, a shadow Cabinet Office minister, said:

Not a lot of people facing rising mortgages, bills and food prices are casually dropping £1,000 bets

It just shows that Rishi Sunak is totally out of touch with working people.

Not immediately considering that making bets on issues that affect the lives of desperate people is extremely distasteful. No, not for this Labour Party who don't wish to be seen as a "soft touch" when it comes to Johnny Foreigner. Instead they comment on the size of the bet and how Samantha and Bill in Rochdale can only dream of making such huge bets. 

16 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Labour's response:

Labour says this shows Sunak is out of touch. Responding to the inteview, Jonathan Ashworth, a shadow Cabinet Office minister, said:

Not a lot of people facing rising mortgages, bills and food prices are casually dropping £1,000 bets

It just shows that Rishi Sunak is totally out of touch with working people.

Not immediately considering that making bets on issues that affect the lives of desperate people is extremely distasteful. No, not for this Labour Party who don't wish to be seen as a "soft touch" when it comes to Johnny Foreigner. Instead they comment on the size of the bet and how Samantha and Bill in Rochdale can only dream of making such huge bets. 

My thoughts entirely.  And it's an indicator of tinpot Britain that neither the bet or Labour's response will receive the condemnation they deserve.

Maybe not entirely appropriate for this thread, maybe one on a "Tory Stabbing Tories in the Front" thread, but nice to see the Tories knifing Andrew Bowie by ... Ahem.... adjusting his responsibilities.

From The National.... "In his role, the Scots Tory MP had responsibility over energy networks including the grid.

However, Bowie’s role was quietly changed, with responsibility over networks taken out of his hands, after he engaged with campaigns against new pylons in his constituency.

Politico first reported the quiet change in Bowie’s position, which had happened in December 2023. The UK Government did not announce the change and declined to comment."

46 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not sure how this can be true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68204195

"Rishi Sunak said pressures from higher bills or mortgage rates were subsiding."

My cheap two year mortgage deal doesn't expire for a few months yet and I imagine I won't be alone in still waiting to see the impact of my mortgage going up when it does.

It's true if you're on a six-figure salary and your wife is a multi-millionaire who pays sweeties in tax.

On 15/11/2023 at 19:18, DeeTillEhDeh said:

20231115_191806.jpg

I am no fan of the Conservatives but to compare them to nazi's is way over the top.

Being a teacher I really hope that you do not teach our kids politics or share with them your political views.

Edited by Steelly

18 minutes ago, Steelly said:

I am no fan of the Conservatives but to compare them to nazi's is way over the top.

Being a teacher I really hope that you do not teach our kids politics or share with them your political views.

It's not that OTT, particularly with this current Tory party.

In fact one of the essay questions in my last term's Politics and IR course was to what extent Fascism was just a radical form on Conservatism.

I chose that question to answer.

The Conservative peer Michelle Mone assured the government that she was not entitled to “any financial benefit whatsoever” from a PPE company, five months before £29m of its profits were transferred into a trust for her benefit.

Guardian.

Just now, Dan Steele said:

The Conservative peer Michelle Mone assured the government that she was not entitled to “any financial benefit whatsoever” from a PPE company, five months before £29m of its profits were transferred into a trust for her benefit.

Guardian.

Yes, I would love it, Keegan style, if she was to get jailed.

Screenshot_20240207_152259_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e3c56f837b821d890692d5e771572fd4.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/07/leak-reveals-michelle-mone-told-government-she-would-not-benefit-financially-from-ppe-firm-medpro

1 hour ago, Steelly said:

As a teacher I would have thought you would have had the intelligence to see what is happening in front of your very eyes! But, maybe teachers nowadays in Scotland aren't of the standard and professionalism they were.

32 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

As a teacher I would have thought you would have had the intelligence to see what is happening in front of your very eyes! But, maybe teachers nowadays in Scotland aren't of the standard and professionalism they were.

Sorry Highlandmagar you have got this wrong. 

Oops.... The Chief Secretary to the Treasury.....

"Appearing on BBC Radio 4's PM programme, Ms Trott was asked how the government can afford potential tax cuts ahead of the next election, given that one of Rishi Sunak's five key pledges is to reduce national debt.

She said: "The central pledge... is that debt needs to be falling over the five-year fiscal forecast as a percentage of GDP, which it is."

Presenter Evan Davis, a former economist, interjected, telling her the debt is set to be "higher in five years than now" and pointing to the latest projections.

She maintained debt is falling as a percentage of GDP, but when challenged again, Ms Trott appeared to start saying "I'm not sure", to which Davis replied: "This is really basic... I'm amazed that you don't know that debt is rising."

Source - https://news.sky.com/story/laura-trott-accused-of-not-knowing-basic-facts-of-her-job-after-questions-over-debt-13067047

Nope, nothing to see here, move along quietly now....

That's Donald Cameron, the self styled "Lochiel" away to take ermine and swapping Holyrood for the House of Lords. Looking on the bright side, this'll free up a space for a new tory list msp to represent the highlands. 

1 hour ago, awnawawnaw said:

has anybody mentioned £600000 or a camper van and a jag yet. people in glass houses and all that. mr salmond would have something to add if he wasn't as guilty as sin

Yes, but you are on the wrong thread for that. what you are doing here might just be mistaken for whataboutary.

Not much of a point being made either way since nearly all politicians are corrupt, its just which ones are less corrupt than the others.

12 hours ago, Artie said:

Yes, but you are on the wrong thread for that. what you are doing here might just be mistaken for whataboutary.

Not much of a point being made either way since nearly all politicians are corrupt, its just which ones are less corrupt than the others.

I'm afraid I'm a new member and have no intentions of searching the whole forum to discover what you so helpfully explained. so it wasn't whataboutary as I had no idea of what had been posted elsewhere. i do agree with your point about politicians but the snp did promise/lie to do things differently. most on here seem to want to believe the snp lies than anybody else's lies. i don't agree with the level of corruption point that most politicians are corrupt -in cold blood- at least as they are all emotionally captured and don't rely on reason alone so don't see themselves as being biased or corrupt.

Edited by awnawawnaw