Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

8 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Is the hard working Scottish taxpayer still subsidising HS2?

I believe that the UK Govt pays for it, but Scotland gets money back via the Barnett formula for the extra money spent on an English only project. But, I'm no expert in these matters.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

I believe that the UK Govt pays for it, but Scotland gets money back via the Barnett formula for the extra money spent on an English only project. But, I'm no expert in these matters.

We get a share of the loan and the liability that comes with it. Even although we had no say over the loan being taken out in the first place.

11 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Does Scotland get HS2 consequentials? Maybe I'm thinking of another project, but wasn't there something about it being a "National" project which benefitted Scotland? (Even though it comes nowhere near here!)

Yes, we get approximately 10% extra in disastrous government infrastructure projects

11 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Does Scotland get HS2 consequentials? Maybe I'm thinking of another project, but wasn't there something about it being a "National" project which benefitted Scotland? (Even though it comes nowhere near here!)

I think that it’s Wales who’re being done on that front - classified as an England and Wales project, even though none of it is in Wales. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

50 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think that it’s Wales who’re being done on that front - classified as an England and Wales project, even though none of it is in Wales. 

It’s hard to feel sorry for the Welsh.

Be very interesting to see which companies are raking in massive profits for HS2 while not actually delivering anything. And who their friends in government are.

52 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

My word. Most of these utter imbeciles should be put to death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1d7jvjzx3yo

Welsh Tories must be really pitiful if they are resorting to stealing Douglas Ross policies to try and win some gammon votes.

On 31/07/2023 at 19:43, sophia said:

Martin Geisslar didn't have to stoop so low to wind up The Prime Miniature this morning. This is just the end of the interview in which the normally syrupy Sunack got a bit querulous.

It sounded like Sunak's Malcolm Tucker stitched up Geisslar by letting him prepare a usual ~15 plus minute interview for that time, but cutting it to 5 minutes just before Sunak went on.

11 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

My word. Most of these utter imbeciles should be put to death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1d7jvjzx3yo

Back in the sixties a Tory candidate (might have been Enoch Powell himself) put out an election leaflet that said in essence "If you want a black man moving in next door, vote Labour."  Seems some people haven't moved on since then.

24 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Back in the sixties a Tory candidate (might have been Enoch Powell himself) put out an election leaflet that said in essence "If you want a black man moving in next door, vote Labour."  Seems some people haven't moved on since then.

It was far more racist than that!

The actual quote used the N-word. It was "If you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Labour" It wasn't Enoch Powell either, it was someone called Peter Griffiths. His campaign was successful & he was elected. Griffiths refused to disown it: “I would not condemn any man who said that,” he told the Times during his election campaign. “I regard it as a manifestation of popular feeling.”

Disgusting.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

In the sixties, it was only the tories who were at it. Now Labour are also at it these days.

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

It was far more racist than that!

The actual quote used the N-word. It was "If you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Labour" It wasn't Enoch Powell either, it was someone called Peter Griffiths. His campaign was successful & he was elected. Griffiths refused to disown it: “I would not condemn any man who said that,” he told the Times during his election campaign. “I regard it as a manifestation of popular feeling.”

Disgusting.

The most disgusting thing about it is that it worked and it would most likely work again now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/07/proposals-to-ease-planning-laws-in-englands-national-parks-condemned

It specifically cites the aim to give farmers the ability to change their agricultural buildings into houses: “We want to give farmers greater freedom to change the use of their existing buildings to residential use and support the delivery of new homes in rural communities.”

I love the optimism that allowing farmers to build houses will result in homes that will benefit the locals.

They want to force Mad Nadd out,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66427982

The main gist;

Conservative MP Nadine Dorries is facing a move to force her out of Parliament if she fails to attend for six months.

The proposals have been put forward by senior Labour MP Sir Chris Bryant.

Ms Dorries said she was standing down as the MP for Mid Bedfordshire in June but later said she would not formally resign until she got more information about why she was denied a peerage.

She has not spoken in the Commons since July 2022 and last voted in April.

Six months on from her last vote in Parliament would be 26 October.

Under his proposals, first reported by the Financial Times, Sir Chris said a motion could be tabled in Parliament requiring an MP to attend the Commons on a certain date.

If they failed to do so he said this could be considered a "contempt of Parliament", which can be punished with a suspension from the Commons.

If MPs approve a suspension of 10 days or more this can trigger a by-election in the constituency, where voters have the chance to oust their local MP.