Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I take it the senior MP hasn't been named yet.

Mark Francois name is bandied about for the obvious reasons but no official confirmation.

Should be easy to narrow it down a bit, assuming the part about the female MP who reported him actually was "sitting next to him" and that doesn't just mean she was near enough to see what he was doing. Just check out all the front-bench MPs sitting next to a woman.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Opinion polls midway through a term count for shit.

Wait until election time, the Tory Press will ramp up the rhetoric and gullible idiots will return a Tory government.

You may be right, I like to think that there will be a longer lasting effect but that will depend in part on the ability of the opposition parties to capitalise on it.  It may also depend on what, if anything, Labour offer in rUK, particularly England.

As I’ve said often before the biggest hurdle to change is FPTP, a wholly undemocratic voting system that means the Tories could get back in with a majority with well below 50% of the vote.  Sadly Labour has no plans to change this if the become the government (with less than 50% of the vote of course).

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You may be right, I like to think that there will be a longer lasting effect but that will depend in part on the ability of the opposition parties to capitalise on it.  It may also depend on what, if anything, Labour offer in rUK, particularly England.

As I’ve said often before the biggest hurdle to change is FPTP, a wholly undemocratic voting system that means the Tories could get back in with a majority with well below 50% of the vote.  Sadly Labour has no plans to change this if the become the government (with less than 50% of the vote of course).

But but but STRONG GOVERNMENT! Kids are still taught today (see here: the BBC Bitesize Modern Studies on voting systems) that FPTP has the advantage of strong government whereas PR and AMS suffer from the disadvantage of causing those terrible coalitions. What’s normal across much of Europe is, according the curriculum and BBC, a “disadvantage”. 

529A09CD-D71A-4860-B989-A630E7211329.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Antlion said:

But but but STRONG GOVERNMENT! Kids are still taught today (see here: the BBC Bitesize Modern Studies on voting systems) that FPTP has the advantage of strong government whereas PR and AMS suffer from the disadvantage of causing those terrible coalitions. What’s normal across much of Europe is, according the curriculum and BBC, a “disadvantage”. 

529A09CD-D71A-4860-B989-A630E7211329.jpeg

If FPTP is so great why do we not use it in local authority elections, devolved assembly/parliament elections, EU Parliament elections (when we were members)?

That’s a rhetorical question.

"but the fascists could get into power!" seems to be one of the traditional arguments against changing the Westminster voting system. Like the way to stop people who want to overthrow democracy is to have less democracy.

Pretty funny considering recent events.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:It may also depend on what, if anything, Labour offer in rUK, particularly England.

Currently they’re having a go at the Lib Dems. By pointing out some of the decent ideas Lib Dems may have (although they’d shitebag straight out of them of course). Worse than useless.

7 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Currently they’re having a go at the Lib Dems. By pointing out some of the decent ideas Lib Dems may have (although they’d shitebag straight out of them of course). Worse than useless.

wait, are labour trying to get us to vote lib-dem?

No matter how much time passes, it never stops being horrifying to see the Labour Party cynically promoting right-wing talking points - which the majority of them would privately agree are wrong and ineffective - in the pathetic hope that the electorate will love them again.

13 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

If they do another ad saying Lib Dems would also fire Lisa Nandy out of a cannon into the sun then they’ve got mine.

In terms of scumbag politicians Nandy must be fairly far down the list Shirley?

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In terms of scumbag politicians Nandy must be fairly far down the list Shirley?

Labour have become so anonymous that she was the first of their rank that came to mind, barring Rosie Duffield who’s getting emptied the next chance her constituency gets anyway. I don’t know that we’ve got a cannon big enough for Jacqui Baillie.

34 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Hopefully it was Charlie Mulgrew that stuck her in. That boot going to jail would be glorious.

If she was jailed for more than a year I think she loses her title. Worth it for saving the public purse if that comes off.