I recently quit my job and started freelancing (doing semi-geeky shit). The company that is currently using my services made it clear they'd prefer dealing with a company rather than an individual. So I guess I need to set up a company. But what is the best way of doing it? I'm not really a company - just an individual. So I don't think I need to set up a limited company or anything, but I'm a bit clueless about what I should do. Obviously I could Google it, but I prefer my search results to be peppered with sardonic advice on keeping my heaters on / windows down. Anyone got any advice?

And what should I call it? Simply my name? I quite like the sound of The Richie Group, but that's a bit of a grandiose name for a no-mark like me. 
Have any other P+Bers set up their own company etc? Is there even a difference between a company and a business?

7 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I recently quit my job and started freelancing (doing semi-geeky shit). The company that is currently using my services made it clear they'd prefer dealing with a company rather than an individual. So I guess I need to set up a company. But what is the best way of doing it? I'm not really a company - just an individual. So I don't think I need to set up a limited company or anything, but I'm a bit clueless about what I should do. Obviously I could Google it, but I prefer my search results to be peppered with sardonic advice on keeping my heaters on / windows down. Anyone got any advice?

And what should I call it? Simply my name? I quite like the sound of The Richie Group, but that's a bit of a grandiose name for a no-mark like me. 
Have any other P+Bers set up their own company etc? Is there even a difference between a company and a business?

Is semi-geeky shit registered? That sounds good to me.

Alternatively   Contractor Underpaying Normal Tax ltd would be suitable,  it will need to be abbreviated of course. 

I didn't start a company, I just gave myself a business name and printed business cards, invoices, letterheads etc but just printed on the invoice "make all cheques payable to my own name".

At my last couple of jobs my wages were just paid directly into my personal account (the only account I had) on the foot of timesheet/invoice submitted.

If you know any accountants it might be worth picking their brains about setting up a "proper" compa ny. (Any fee they charge you for advice would probably be tax deductible...)

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

I set up as a sole trader, handy as I could have my partner help me out on a voluntary basis if I needed it.

Opened up a business bank account so I could ask folk to make cheques payable to my business name but other than submitting accounts each year I'm pretty sure that's all I did.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

If the would prefer to deal with a company then I am pretty sure that they mean Limited.  You will need to buy a company "off the shelf" and then change the name etc.  You will also need liability insurance in case you f**k up and get sued.

Best to speak to an accountant.

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I had to set up an umbrella company back in the paisley Road West days because I was mainly jumping from one short term contract to another. Can't remember much about it but the process was pretty easy in itself. I think there was a mob that I did it though who did all the legwork and no doubt took far too much money off me for whatever minuscule and simple admin tasks they persuaded me they needed to complete to make it so. 

Tax and all that stuff was an utter ballache and in the end when I got back into permanent work, it was a bit of a relief. 

So go for it mate. 

Richie's bitches has a decent ring to it imo

Edited by madwullie

All I did was set up a business bank account in name of my company and got invoices to be paid into that account.

Turnover is less than 1000 a year as it is just a hobby I do every month or so.

I spend all the money on whisky. 

If your turnover is more than that i don't recommend this approach 

think in theory you just get the forms from Companies House and file away so would start with looking at the Companies House bits on the gov.uk website, but afaik there's a bit more to it than that i.e. you may have to register for VAT depending on your turnover.

Also please find a way to register your head office on Ruel Street for maximum bants

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Cheers for the advice guys. The only reason I don't want to set up a company is cos of the time / expense, but from what you guys have said, it doesn't sound too difficult. 

It's all moot anyway, cos I've just logged in this morning to be informed that I managed to delete every file from their Sharepoint folder, so my jacket is already on the shoogliest of pegs. 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers for the advice guys. The only reason I don't want to set up a company is cos of the time / expense, but from what you guys have said, it doesn't sound too difficult. 

It's all moot anyway, cos I've just logged in this morning to be informed that I managed to delete every file from their Sharepoint folder, so my jacket is already on the shoogliest of pegs. 

"Richelieu Semi Geeky Shit - f**k Ups Our Speciality".

7 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Ah, the low-tech approach to ransomware ... you did take back-ups first, of course?

2 minutes ago, Helpma said:

Ah, the low-tech approach to ransomware ... you did take back-ups first, of course?

Backups are for pansies. 

Basically I assumed Sharepoint worked like OneDrive, i.e. you can delete local copies. But it turns out if you download the docs to your PC then delete them locally, then it deletes them for everyone everywhere. 

They should be able to recover the files. Although my offers to help have gone down like a cup of cold sick. Never have I felt more like Mark in this bit of Peep Show.