Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Nah, West Lothian. But it's a common enough picture. FWIW, Western Isles Council has no female councillors at all.

Labour Councillors in West Lothian believed that working class kids play brass while violins are for middle class kids, despite their own evidence showing them otherwise.

Oh, and while I'm here, yesterday I learned that the spellcheck on Word won't stop you from referring to "Dundee & Anus College".

We have a handful of female Councillors, none on the Admin group though which is rammed with gammony Tories and "independents" and a couple of absolute creeps. One of them even assaulted one of the female Councillors at a meeting and got a massive 3 month suspension. 

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I'll be honoured to stand alongside Oaksoft in the trenches when the revolution comes.

He'll be carried aloft on our shields into our new Nirvana as we'll require polymaths and business leaders to forge our path to greatness.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The Scottish Family Party- holy cow! I just looked them up. If you want a few minute's entertainment, have a gander at their policies. https://scottishfamily.org/policies

YouTube videos on their opposition to "corrosive" sex education in schools amongst many others. Ultra zoomers. Even Trump would look at this lot like a bunch of weirdos.

The woman doing their PPB is the best looking political candidate in Scottish history. 

She could possibly be the first ever hot MSP if elected. 

Edit - Cancel that she's not even a top ranked  candidate!

Edited by Detournement

15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The woman doing their PPB is the best looking political candidate in Scottish history. 

She could possibly be the first ever hot MSP if elected. 

Edit - Cancel that she's not even a top ranked  candidate!

1006A310-6921-4460-8F4F-09281E4184D9.jpeg

1246D842-2201-4032-806C-A0942CF200C5.jpeg

20 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
20 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
We've just seen how unable to cope our health service is. It needs heavy investment.
The exams fiasco last year highlighted how big the education gap is. We need more schools and teachers to reduce classroom sizes.
There's 2 for starters.
Kids cycling to school to learn to play the trumpet is all well and good, but it's not the priority.

Well considering that health conditions relating to obesity are going through the roof then I'd say cycling to school might not be a bad idea.

And get school buses/taxis in the bin while we’re at it. That’s a win/win on both costs and exercise! 

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

And get school buses/taxis in the bin while we’re at it. That’s a win/win on both costs and exercise! 

It's a 10 mile walk or cycle along 60mph country roads with no pavements over a big hill between where I live and my kids' catchment secondary. Is it alright if they get a bus please?

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's a 10 mile walk or cycle along 60mph country roads with no pavements over a big hill between where I live and my kids' catchment secondary. Is it alright if they get a bus please?

I was of course (I hope you saw) being flippant.

But it’s an equal argument- should your kids have to go as far as 10 miles to get to a school?

Or, if  they do, maybe should there be a route off the main road network to get them there?

Something the Green agenda is pushing for but seemingly only capable of in their urban heartlands where it is (relatively) easy to provide by (cheap) ‘traffic management’ policies. 

19 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I was of course (I hope you saw) being flippant.

But it’s an equal argument- should your kids have to go as far as 10 miles to get to a school?

Or, if  they do, maybe should there be a route off the main road network to get them there?

Something the Green agenda is pushing for but seemingly only capable of in their urban heartlands where it is (relatively) easy to provide by (cheap) ‘traffic management’ policies. 

I know, I wouldn't have responded like that if I'd thought you were serious.

The reason they travel so far despite living in the central belt is because of denominational schooling. There are only two RC schools in West Lothian and that's our nearest.

If there were safe cycling routes and no buses then I might get them ebikes. It's a bit far and much too hilly to do on ordinary bikes each way every day through the winter. I'd be worried about the wee fella cycling through Blackburn on a £1,000 bike though. Or we might move house.

Incidentally, I'm currently watching the party leaders having a climate & environment debate run by young people, here: 

Edited by GordonS

On 15/04/2021 at 17:40, Todd_is_God said:

Is there anything the SNP haven't pledged to make free in the last week?

I believe they were considering offering free access to the covid thread for grown ups but focus group feedback indicated that the take up would be negligible

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

I believe they were considering offering free access to the covid thread for grown ups but focus group feedback indicated that the take up would be negligible

My condolences you aren't able to get in

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The reason they travel so far despite living in the central belt is because of denominational schooling. There are only two RC schools in West Lothian and that's our nearest.

If there were safe cycling routes and no buses then I might get them ebikes. It's a bit far and much too hilly to do on ordinary bikes each way every day through the winter. I'd be worried about the wee fella cycling through Blackburn on a £1,000 bike though. Or we might move house.

Incidentally, I'm currently watching the party leaders having a climate & environment debate run by young people, here: 

In that case I blame the schools!

Spoiler

I am of course joking 

Get denominational schooling in the Sea ffs.
Problem solved.

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

More people working fewer hours in essential and productive roles would obviously be a positive development. However there is nothing in the policy that suggests that is the goal. Sturgeon isn't talking about councils and the civil service going on big recruitment drives is she?

Have you actually read the manifesto outlining the policy, or are you tilting at windmills to differentiate it from your big mate Corbyn's idea?