Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

56 minutes ago, virginton said:

How Scots view their society before the 1918 Education Act:

wgu52r8p7clz.jpg.3b9e7ebda83ed74ef63f5a6d4ad20e81.jpg

Whereas now it seems that it almost doesn't matter what faith it is, as long as folk believe in some form of irrationality; for some utterly bizarre reason, they are preferable to the merely rational.   People bandy about the expression "a person of faith" as if that implies any characteristic other than a propensity to believe  in the supernatural.  A bit like offering "thoughts and prayers" in America whenever there is another mass shooting - giving the appearance of action while doing no bl00dy good at all. 

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Want people to take funding for state education seriously?  Abolish private schools.

Yeah, it is a fair point. Like I said, I don't like the practical consequences of private schools. But I'm not sure I could support abolishing them on principle.

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Whereas now it seems that it almost doesn't matter what faith it is, as long as folk believe in some form of irrationality; for some utterly bizarre reason, they are preferable to the merely rational.   People bandy about the expression "a person of faith" as if that implies any characteristic other than a propensity to believe  in the supernatural.  A bit like offering "thoughts and prayers" in America whenever there is another mass shooting - giving the appearance of action while doing no bl00dy good at all. 

22 hours ago, virginton said:

Forcing an end to a policy that has been directly responsible for the enormous social uplift of a minority group because you or anyone else want to play your two-bob Richard Dawkins routine is quite clearly the intolerant and wrong approach. 

Probably generous to value this as highly as two bob though. 

52 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Nope, it's a manual hand count for both papers. Confirmed Friday into Saturday count up here.

Although I regret the lack of drama in the wee small hours, I'll not miss what is for me the single most irritating phrase and that phrase is "we had a bad night".

To shrug off your record, your campaign, your manifesto, your debating skills, your credibility and your party to a quirk of the night is an excuse that will be denied to the rogues.

Edited by sophia

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I will most definitely miss a through the night count, beers take next day off etc. Not the same.

Good for me - I work 4on/4off and finish on the Thursday.

Get in Thursday evening have my tea, walk the 50yds to the polling station and then back to a cool can of cider or three...

Edited by btb

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

What's the deal with the counting for this? I assume Covid has put paid to the traditional overnight count where constituency results start coming in shortly after midnight through to 6am, and the regional list results are known by Friday lunchtime?

The count will take place over Friday and Saturday, apparently.

24 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I will most definitely miss a through the night count, beers take next day off etc. Not the same

24 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I will most definitely miss a through the night count, beers take next day off etc. Not the same.

Me too.. sitting up with a wee bevvy or 10 is part of the event.  It has been particularly funny in recent years seeing the Tories try to present unmitigated defeat as a victory in the wee sma' hours while trying to keep a straight face.  A delay of a couple of days will give the spin doctors a chance to lessen the embarrassment factor.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I thought polling places weren’t accepting postal ballots? Might have that totally wrong but folks should check their local arrangements, im certain I read that my own area wouldnt take them handed in and had to be posted?

You can hand in your postal vote to a polling station until 10pm.

https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210600/elections_and_voting/11920/scottish_parliamentary_election/6

I'll be on holiday in the West Highlands. When the weather is too inevitably shite to climb anything I hope there's decent enough WiFi to while away the time trolling the utter f**k out of Braden Davy after his hopefully humiliating defeat.

I support PR but under FOTP you can stay up and laugh at things like Jo Swinson's minter result in the last General Election.

With our system Swinson would be top of the Lib Dem's regional list and would likely get back in (well, perhaps not in the LD case but you know what I mean)