Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's weird.

There have been some boundary changes, but when Scottish Nationalism was much more of a minority sport, the SNP actually had some success there.  In October 1974, 11 SNP MPs were elected, but Galloway provided one of them.  In 1997, only 6 SNP MPs were returned, but one of them came from Galloway and Upper Nithsdale.

Now when the SNP is sweeping all before them across the country, they lose out in Galloway.  It's very frustrating.

Hard to compare constituencies with different boundaries, but this is actually the third highest share of the vote the SNP have ever had a in a seat covering Galloway, at Holyrood or Westminster, beaten narrowly only in Oct 1974 and 1997. But the unionist vote has coalesced around the Tories so the task to take it gets harder.

2 minutes ago, jakedee said:

How does someone who grew up voting Labour during the "Thatcher years". Watching the utter carnage inflicted on this Country, by that Govt. and Tory Govt's since, hate the idea of Scotland being a normal independent country so much, that they could vote Tory?

That’s the million dollar question that no one can answer.

I have yet to hear a good argument for remaining in the Union, and yet some Labour and Lib Dem voters will drop all their values and beliefs in a heartbeat to help keep the Union in place, makes no sense!

10 minutes ago, betting competition said:

As I voted the Greens on the list vote I do hope my vote has helped stop the Lid dems getting a seat in North Scotland. 

Same for me. First time I've strayed from the SNP  on the list but looked at the results from 2016 and the greens only needed 2000 more votes to take it.🤞🤞

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Hard to compare constituencies with different boundaries, but this is actually the third highest share of the vote the SNP have ever had a in a seat covering Galloway, at Holyrood or Westminster, beaten narrowly only in Oct 1974 and 1997. But the unionist vote has coalesced around the Tories so the task to take it gets harder.

Yes, that's fair.

The preparedness of Labour supporters to vote Tory is the shocking bit.

1 minute ago, dstuart82 said:

That’s the million dollar question that no one can answer.

I have yet to hear a good argument for remaining in the Union, and yet some Labour and Lib Dem voters will drop all their values and beliefs in a heartbeat to help keep the Union in place, makes no sense!

This is part of why the SNP should never advocate a seocnd vote for a different party.

As soon as you tell people to vote tactically for a party with different policies it is asking peopel to change their values to win a few probably meaningless seats.

2 minutes ago, jakedee said:

How does someone who grew up voting Labour during the "Thatcher years". Watching the utter carnage inflicted on this Country, by that Govt. and Tory Govt's since, hate the idea of Scotland being a normal independent country so much, that they could vote Tory?

I have absolutely no fucking idea.

Anybody who votes Tory after living through Thatcher, more recessions on their watch than I can remember right through to the current war on the undeserving poor (UC) and in-work poverty EVEN IF you have a job, jesus christ.

As if Boris Johnson gives one f**k about them. I just don't understand.

12 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Flegs and the rangers that they let die. 
But seriously anyone who votes Tory is a scumbag. 

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

This is part of why the SNP should never advocate a seocnd vote for a different party.

As soon as you tell people to vote tactically for a party with different policies it is asking peopel to change their values to win a few probably meaningless seats.

Nobody has suggested that the SNP advocate voting for another party. They just don't have to make 'both votes SNP' front and fucking centre of the campaign, to fear-monger people into voting for them on both tickets. And the outcome would be fewer Yoons in Parliament right now. 

That's leaving aside the fact that the SNP benefit from tactical voting when Greens sit out the constituency vote. 

2 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

I have absolutely no fucking idea.

Anybody who votes Tory after living through Thatcher, more recessions on their watch than I can remember right through to the current war on the undeserving poor (UC) and in-work poverty EVEN IF you have a job, jesus christ.

As if Boris Johnson gives one f**k about them. I just don't understand.

I suppose it shows the extent of trepidation over independence that chunks of the population genuinely feel.

I sympathise with the doubt.  I want independence, but I've got concerns regarding currency and suchlike.  Others do too.  It surprises me that such concerns are big enough to allow people who wouldn't normally, to vote Tory, but it seems to be the case.

There's still an argument to be won and it's not an easy one.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I suppose it shows the extent of trepidation over independence that chunks of the population genuinely feel.

I sympathise with the doubt.  I want independence, but I've got concerns regarding currency and suchlike.  Others do too.  It surprises me that such concerns are big enough to allow people who wouldn't normally, to vote Tory, but it seems to be the case.

There's still an argument to be won and it's not an easy one.

What are your concerns re currency? We are more than able to form our own currency etc. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Nobody has suggested that the SNP advocate voting for another party. They just don't have to make 'both votes SNP' front and fucking centre of the campaign, to fear-monger people into voting for them on both tickets. And the outcome would be fewer Yoons in Parliament right now. 

That's leaving aside the fact that the SNP benefit from tactical voting when Greens sit out the constituency vote. 

When the Tory campaign is lend us your 2nd vote the SNP have to counter with a message about 2nd votes. There are definitely centrist melts who vote SNP and would give their second vote to the Tories for balance if they weren't explicitly told that the SNP  wants both votes.

Greens or other pro-Indy parties that want a vote on the list they need to do a better job on their own campaign. It shouldn't be up to the SNP to help them,