Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Time to make the greatest football/voting crossover joke that is exclusively reserved for Election Day:

”Hearing Greg Taylor* has been unable to vote this morning as he canny put a cross in the box”

*please feel free to replace with a terrible footballer from your own rival club

12 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Is it actually possible for the fedora fuckwit to get in with 20k votes? I noticed that the LibDems got one on the list with 15k in 2011.

Yes. 

In the South of Scotland in 2017, the SNP won their third list seat with an adjusted ~17k votes. So anyone getting 20k+ is almost guaranteed a seat, unless something particularly weird happens.

Edited by The Master

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

Yes. 

In the South of Scotland in 2017, the SNP won their third list seat with an adjusted ~17k votes. So anyone getting 20k+ is almost guaranteed a seat, unless something particularly weird happens.

I was convinced that there aren't enough idiots to vote him in but now I'm not so sure.

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

Since this is the first time I'll be taking my own, what's everyone else's X-ing implement of choice?

A slightly blunt classic yellow and black Staedtler HB pencil is looking quite appealing just now. The only pens I have in the house - or at least, that I can find - are of the ballpoint variety and I just don't want to take the risk of going right through the paper while making a clear and solid mark.

I took a black biro but as they were handing out free pencils I took one of those to vote  SNP / Greens (will be handy for the gowf later....although probably putting score into phone rather than card these days)

Polling Station was very busy and had to queue to get in (not done that since I joined a queue about 50 people long at 7am on 18th Sept 2014)  Disappointing thing was that virtually all other voters were pensioners....hope the youngsters come out in numbers later.

I recall stating that it was mad holding the 2019 General Election in mid-December - fearing a low turnout due to weather..........then saw this from today.......it's madness holding an election in May !!

A polling station in the village of Farr, near Inverness

Heading out shortly, not voting anyone on the Constituency but will vote Green on the list. This is my first time voting in Glasgow, had a couple of calls with the "incumbent" SNP MSP for Glasgow Shettleston over winter with regards my concerns surrounding Covid, seemed fine enough but a quick google of his views gives me a lot of concerns, so all my hopes rest with good guy Paddy Harvie. 

31 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Didn't actually think to take my own pen.  Is this being encouraged? I haven't voted yet so will take a pen in case.

They had a wee tub of IKEA pencils in Glasgow's leafy southside this morning.

Spoiled my ballot for the constituency and voted Green on the list.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

That's one of the things that pisses me off about the regional vote being called the 2nd vote. They're both first votes.

The SNP are pretty much certain to win every seat in Glasgow and are very, very unlikely to get anyone off the list as a result. They got 45% on the list last time and didn't get any list MSPs. The Greens could get two on the list in Glasgow this time, at the expense of unionist parties, so if you're thinking of maybe going that way it's a much more worthwhile vote.

ETA I just checked, and last time the Tories got the final regional seat in Glasgow, taking two with 11.9% of the vote while the Greens got one with 9.4%. If the Greens beat the Tories they'll likely take a seat from them.

Thanks for that, I did go SNP/Greens in the end. I was quite pleasantly surprised that my parents voted SNP as well though my dad seems to have voted for the Alba party on the list but it could have been worse, they had always been Labour most of their lives.

27 minutes ago, The Master said:

Yes. 

If he does get in the only consolation would be the fact he'd be forced to finally take off that fucking hat to reveal a scalp that looks like an albino elephants scrotum.

He'll get up to make an impassioned speech on something and everyone will just be pointing and stifling chuckles at his weird, vitamin D deprived bonce.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:
SNP/Green. Did not take my own pencil.
I believe my lesser half is voting Green/SNP later 

What a pointless vote by your lesser half. Tell her to flip that and her vote might count

Doesn't really matter if her vote counts. That's who she wants to vote for.

50 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Is it actually possible for the fedora fuckwit to get in with 20k votes? I noticed that the LibDems got one on the list with 15k in 2011.

Is that a dog whistle? There's no orange ballot paper, it's peach. 

35 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I was convinced that there aren't enough idiots to vote him in but now I'm not so sure.

I'd think same issue as UKIP had - there's more than enough idiots, but not that geographically concentrated. Fermers and rugby tho, who knows. 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

There was no Alba emblem on my list ballot, despite most of the other parties having one next to the party name. Is this part of the bias against this wonderful party?

The Alba Party emblem looks like a big "X". Maybe it's banned. f**k knows.

2 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

The Alba Party emblem looks like a big "X". Maybe it's banned. f**k knows.

I've read conflicting things, one saying that it was banned because it looks too much like a Saltire - you're not allowed to just use national flags as your logo - but I've also read that they missed the registration deadline for logos and slogans on the ballot papers.