Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

387 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, JMDP said:

Interesting that @Stormzy dislikes a post ridiculing a racist, anti-vaxxer. Unsurprising tho. 

What is it that interests you? 

You've left the context out that you log on in the morning and check my profile, use all your red dots in one go on anything I've posted throughout the day. The implication you think I am anti vax or racist is the most unsurprising idiotic part.

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

He put out a Twitter statement and signed it off AAA, with the first A standing for "Amazing"

Why shouldn't he? 

The talk of a "supermajority" makes a mockery of the whole thing. People here have said that the SNP "only" got 4 list seats last time. That's kind of the point; that the parliament will in general reflect the vote share of the parties. SNP get 50% of the vote, end up with about 50% of the MSP's. That's the whole reason the top-up list system is in place. 

If the SNP or anyone else wanted to game the system like Salmond is suggesting, they could have created a separate party (say, the National Party of Scotland) to stand in the list seats whilst the main party stood in the constituency seats. 22 years and nobody has done this - because it goes against what the system is set up to do.

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The talk of a "supermajority" makes a mockery of the whole thing. People here have said that the SNP "only" got 4 list seats last time. That's kind of the point; that the parliament will in general reflect the vote share of the parties. SNP get 50% of the vote, end up with about 50% of the MSP's. That's the whole reason the top-up list system is in place. 

If the SNP or anyone else wanted to game the system like Salmond is suggesting, they could have created a separate party (say, the National Party of Scotland) to stand in the list seats whilst the main party stood in the constituency seats. 22 years and nobody has done this - because it goes against what the system is set up to do.

The system was set up to game the system. 

Down South can dictate to about most things on 35/40%.

We'd maybe have been spared the excesses of the Tory party over the past 4 decades if they had a similar voting structure. 

Edited by ayrmad

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

The system was set up to game the system. 

Down South can dictate to about most things on 35/40%.

We'd maybe have been spared the excesses of the Tory party over the past 4 decades if they had a similar voting structure. 

I can agree with this.  Say what you like about the voting system for Holyrood but it is a million times more equitable and democratic than FPTP.

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Are we only allowed one party who believe in independence? Is it okay if everyone votes for the Greens on the Regional list and the super majority happens that way?

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are we only allowed one party who believe in independence? Is it okay if everyone votes for the Greens on the Regional list and the super majority happens that way?

The Greens weren’t set up with the express intention of gaming the system.

I think the whole super-majority thing is a complete red herring anyway. Firstly, you don’t need a supermajority, a majority of one for indy is enough of a mandate. And secondly, it won’t matter - Johnson isn’t going to grant a referendum just because Salmond has rocked up. This is all about getting Salmond into Holyrood, and nothing else.

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think the whole super-majority thing is a complete red herring anyway. Firstly, you don’t need a supermajority, a majority of one for indy is enough of a mandate. And secondly, it won’t matter - Johnson isn’t going to grant a referendum just because Salmond has rocked up. This is all about getting Salmond into Holyrood, and nothing else.

We've already got a majority of more than one, haven't witnessed any preps for our impending referendum. 

I do remember us doffing our cap whilst asking for one, think we were told to bolt, we did whilst doffing our cap all the way home. 

Edited by ayrmad

We've already got a majority of more than one, haven't witnessed any preps for our impending referendum. 
I do remember us doffing our cap whilst asking for one, think we were told to bolt, we did whilst doffing our cap all the way home. 
What's your alternative ? Are you in favour of UDI / unrecognised referendum as that appears the only viable (???) alternative. If not, rather than constant anti Sturgeon mewling what would you hope to see happen. I don't see the SNP simply needing to change leader for the WMG to do a section 30 u-turn so what are you actually hoping to see happen ?

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Scenes ? Wholly predictable more like. Alba is beginning to look like a Hoover for the SNP. Sucking all the fringe elements and tarnished goods into a one big holding pen seems like nothing but a positive to me.

Who next, Derek McKay, Sillars ???

I don't know what type of politics Ferrier has so wouldn't have had her at the top of the list for defection, perhaps you predicted this elsewhere? 

Is Derek McKay likely to join, I thought he was a proper SNP man. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

What's your alternative ? Are you in favour of UDI / unrecognised referendum as that appears the only viable (???) alternative. If not, rather than constant anti Sturgeon mewling what would you hope to see happen. I don't see the SNP simply needing to change leader for the WMG to do a section 30 u-turn so what are you actually hoping to see happen ?

I've no idea what is a viable route but I'd rather see an Alba style attempt over doing nothing as that's going nowhere, I'll continue to carp against Sturgeon as I'm not her biggest fan, an awful lot of supporters have shown a similar disdain in recent years given the 30/40k drop in membership before the recent uptick. 

15 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Gaming the system? I don’t see the creation of more pro-independence parties as gaming the system. 

A majority of one is clearly not enough of a mandate for an independence referendum. At least not in the eyes of the Tories. I’d agree that the Tories are unlikely to grant another referendum no matter the size of the majority, but the more pro-independence MSPs the better in terms of maximising the embarrassment of that position. 

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Scenes ? Wholly predictable more like. Alba is beginning to look like a Hoover for the SNP. Sucking all the fringe elements and tarnished goods into a one big holding pen seems like nothing but a positive to me.

Who next, Derek McKay, Sillars ???

Wasn’t Derek MacKay the rising star of the SNP until he was outed as liking schoolboys? There was talk of him being the next First Minister.

If he rocks up at Alba, they are fucked.