Prince Philip Deid

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Whilst France actually did fight in WW2, Denmark capitulated after 6 hours.

I think the 'France surrender lol' patter is awful gammony shite.

Like cancelling TV and radio, how is changing the kick off time of a football game in any way a 'mark of respect'?!

I don't think the Dutch, Belgians and Poles did a lot better. What's your point?

Well, that seems a bit rough. If I'd been born into his situation at his time and had had his upbringing and life, I reckon I'd have some questionable views on what is ok to think and say as well.
We've all got our flaws. Seems a bit uncharitable to wish to revel in those of someone who has just died, who did very little of any actual consequence, and of whom you have only the most superficial knowledge.
Fair enough.
I'm sorry but his upbringing just isn't am excuse at all - to have those views in private? Possibly, I'll give you that. But he was a public figure surrounded by people doing everything short of wiping his arse. He should have been/probably had been told not to make such ridiculous comments in public but he clearly didn't bother. If it was a run of the mill celebrity to spout the nonsense he had, their career would be over in no time. But because he's been born into privilege he continued to get away with it and gets a hero's send off into the bargain. Sickening.

As I say, one less racist in the world is only a good thing. Get doon.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm sorry but his upbringing just isn't am excuse at all - to have those views in private? Possibly, I'll give you that. But he was a public figure surrounded by people doing everything short of wiping his arse. He should have been/probably had been told not to make such ridiculous comments in public but he clearly didn't bother. If it was a run of the mill celebrity to spout the nonsense he had, their career would be over in no time. But because he's been born into privilege he continued to get away with it and gets a hero's send off into the bargain. Sickening.

As I say, one less racist in the world is only a good thing. Get doon.

I think that's the point. He couldn't choose that.

Me and you would likely have come out the same.

I feel generally the same as you. Not a fan of the concept of the monarchy in the slightest, but it reflects poorly on anybody who takes some kind of glee in being nasty about an old man who has just died.
Of course there's a lot of interest. We have the monarchy shoved down our throats regularly from birth. It would be weird if it didn't cause a stir. But what we're seeing this time around is that the fuss is coming a lot more from the media than from the public and the fact that people are annoyed by it is obvious.
When Diana died it was quite hard to be sure how in or out of step with public mood any individual was, since all we really had was normal media telling us we were all completely fucking devastated. This time that trick doesn't work.
People start to get out of a trap when they realise not everybody wants to be in it.

I could understand the Diana thing a bit more although it was ridiculously over the top with the people’s princess shite and the wall to wall coverage. She was in her mid 30s and died in a tragic accident (conspiracies aside) but Prince Philip was 99 and had been ill for a while, it’s hardly an unexpected or tragic end for him. He lived for nearly a bloody century. Diana was huge news as it was out of no where, everyone has been expecting Prince Philip to die and shock horror the Queen will too in the next few years as she’s 94. A simple tribute night on one channel would have sufficed not wall to wall coverage.

And as I said, he'll have been surrounded with PR folk telling him what was and wasn't acceptable to say in public and he was either too stupid to listen or just didn't care. My money is firmly on the latter.

Guest TheJTS98
7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I could understand the Diana thing a bit more although it was ridiculously over the top with the people’s princess shite and the wall to wall coverage. She was in her mid 30s and died in a tragic accident (conspiracies aside) but Prince Philip was 99 and had been ill for a while, it’s hardly an unexpected or tragic end for him. He lived for nearly a bloody century. Diana was huge news as it was out of no where, everyone has been expecting Prince Philip to die and shock horror the Queen will too in the next few years as she’s 94. A simple tribute night on one channel would have sufficed not wall to wall coverage.

I don't disagree with any of that.

But my point is more about the level of information available to the public.

When Betty II dies it will be horrendous. Simply the biggest news event imaginable. But there'll be a relatively strong public backlash that would not have been possible in the 90s. And people will know there are loads like them.

Edited by TheJTS98

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

And as I said, he'll have been surrounded with PR folk telling him what was and wasn't acceptable to say in public and he was either too stupid to listen or just didn't care. My money is firmly on the latter.

I always got the impression he was one of those arseholes (who crop up in prominent positions of all kinds) who just enjoyed saying offensive and nasty things because he knew the people he was saying them to would be unable (if they wanted to keep their jobs) to respond with a sturdy “f**k right off”. The more he was enabled, the worse he got, probably thinking he was no end of a wit.

5 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

The viewing figures are interesting, and not overly surprising.

Regular visitors to the Geopolitics thread will know that I am no fan of China's Communist Party, and am of the view that they are going to struggle in the coming years because they can no longer control the flow of information. Something similar is true of the monarchy.

People aren't engaged by this stuff. And modern information flow makes it easy to show that. The whole idea is on borrowed time. It's one thing saying you support it in a nothing poll, but when it comes to a big event like this, a lot of people are turned off by it and now they get to see how many other people are too. If only traditional media existed, one could be convinced that British people were genuinely gripped and saddened by this. I don't know a single person from any part of the UK who cares. It's hardly been mentioned.

That leads on to the post about football. When people don't care, and they know that most other people don't care, they object to shite like Scottish Cup or League One games being put off for an old guy's funeral that they don't care about. Or Neighbours being cancelled. Or the radio being shite for a day. BBC Four going to a blank page. People start to question why the f**k this nonsense is happening. What for? Society isn't deferential or religious enough for this any more.

We're starting to see that the Royal Family have no clothes. Cancelling stuff for a funeral like this is an own goal. But it's one they have to score otherwise the whole pretence falls apart. The whole idea only works if we accept the monarchy as somehow central to British life. But they simply are not.

It depends what you mean by "care". But I agree it's hardly been mentioned by ordinary people (not that I've been talking to many of them, either). 

I haven't followed the media coverage other than what's been posted on here, but it certainly seems over the top, to put it mildly. There are currently 3 stories on the BBC Northern Ireland news site about Philip, which is a considerable improvement from yesterday, but still too many, imo.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I always got the impression he was one of those arseholes (who crop up in prominent positions of all kinds) who just enjoyed saying offensive and nasty things because he knew the people he was saying them to would be unable (if they wanted to keep their jobs) to respond with a sturdy “f**k right off”. The more he was enabled, the worse he got, probably thinking he was no end of a wit.

He may have been. But we're guessing.

It's also likely that he had absolutely no idea how to relate to normal people whatsoever, so just constantly fucked it up and came from an environment where he'd never had any reason to really care.

What the f**k does he know about someone who works in a factory?

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Those Just Eat and Just Throw up posts (not going to quote them) in reference to Nikki Grahame are awful. Should be deleting them IMO.

Didn’t see them so they may well have been incredibly offensive, and appreciate the circumstances are different, but there were no complaints about the numerous (hilarious) memes about Phil biting the dust. Possibly a bit of double standards?

58 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

When Diana died it was quite hard to be sure how in or out of step with public mood any individual was, since all we really had was normal media telling us we were all completely fucking devastated. This time that trick doesn't work.

People start to get out of a trap when they realise not everybody wants to be in it.

A key factor with Diana was that she already in the news at the time.  The tabloids were all into the Diana and Dodi story and every day it was "what are they up to now?"

Then, all of a sudden they were dead.  It was like killing off a main character in a TV show.  Totally unexpected, even for people who don't give a shit about the Royal Family.

99 year man in declining health and now he is gone.   Hardly a surprise.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
24 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think that Queen's Consort gig could go one of two ways...you had the likes of Prince Albert who created a real role for himself behind the scenes and was surprisingly progressive for his time...not to mention helping to get the UK out of a war with the US in 1860-odd where the UK would have almost inevitably had their arses handed to them.

For 70 years in the job, Philip's legacy was an awards scheme and some dodgy one-liners.

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Didn’t see them so they may well have been incredibly offensive, and appreciate the circumstances are different, but there were no complaints about the numerous (hilarious) memes about Phil biting the dust. Possibly a bit of double standards?

I don't think humour/digs around a highly controversial 99 year old dying is the same as laughing at a young lassie who struggled with an eating disorder for years and eventually died from it

Its a fair point you raise, there is quite a lot of times where a death or accident gets joked about on here. Sometimes for years after the event.  I think most folk instinctively know where the line is though. 

I just don't think there is a shred of humour in laughing at someone who died of anorexia personally. 

Edited by Bairnardo

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I think that Queen's Consort gig could go one of two ways...you had the likes of Prince Albert who created a real role for himself behind the scenes and was surprisingly progressive for his time...not to mention helping to get the UK out of a war with the US in 1860-odd where the UK would have almost inevitably had their arses handed to them.

For 70 years in the job, Philip's legacy was an awards scheme and some dodgy one-liners.

That's true. And part of the issue is that there just isn't a real role any more for Royals. Society and politics have moved on.

What's Camilla meant to do when Charles becomes King, for example? Who is going to take her seriously in any kind of political role? Why should they?

Prince Phillip had a naval career and was seemingly quite good at that. Then suddenly that's over and he spends 70 years trying to keep busy. That must be a weird life and I don't envy him it.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think humour/digs around a highly controversial 99 year old dying is the same as laughing at a young lassie who struggled with an eating disorder for years and eventually died from it

Its a fair point you raise, there is quite a lot of times where a death or accident gets joked about on here. Sometimes for years after the event.  I think most folk instinctively know where the line is though. 

I just don't think there is a shred of humour in laughing at someone who died of anorexia personally. 

I’m inclined to agree, but who’s for us to police what is acceptable for jokes and what isn’t? 

For example there are plenty of jokes made without comment about things like 9/11 where thousands died, yet it’s unacceptable to make a joke in this instance. There’s always going to be a line for each individual, just think they are blurred very easily.

10 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I think that Queen's Consort gig could go one of two ways...you had the likes of Prince Albert who created a real role for himself behind the scenes and was surprisingly progressive for his time...

You could've said the same about Philip in the 1950s and 60s. Maybe if like Bertie he'd clocked out in his 40s his legacy would've been a bit different?...

32 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I don't disagree with any of that.

But my point is more about the level of information available to the public.

When Betty II dies it will be horrendous. Simply the biggest news event imaginable. But there'll be a relatively strong public backlash that would not have been possible in the 90s. And people will know there are loads like them.

I wouldn’t think it will start as a backlash, more complete indifference.  Previous monarchs were these god like figures probably because they were rarely seen and people knew no different.  You might hear the king on the radio from time to time but all carefully stage managed.  TV and media these days have put paid to that.  The royal affairs/divorces have also further dispelled the myth they are somehow different or special.

as more and more people eventually question the purpose of the royals that’s when it may become a backlash.  No way it’s ever happening with Lizzie.  Like her or loath her she has a certain dignity that garners her a level of respect.  I doubt Charlie has that so he’ll have a tough shift.  William might get a pass because of his mother but after that it could be a struggle to find any relevance for them.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I agree with this, I am ambivalent around his death, I am neither happy or sad just totally meh. I watched the first few Big Brother series & really disliked her but I have a lot of sympathy for her being in the grip of a mental illness so encompassing that it killed her at that age, I have quite a dark sense of humour but I find her story rather sad & not something to joke about.