Prince Philip Deid

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

The viewing figures are interesting, and not overly surprising.

We're starting to see that the Royal Family have no clothes. Cancelling stuff for a funeral like this is an own goal. But it's one they have to score otherwise the whole pretence falls apart. The whole idea only works if we accept the monarchy as somehow central to British life. But they simply are not.

Look at social media though, how many people are talking about it on twitter? Even this page has gone 40+ pages, there is still huge interest around the royal family. The best way to show there’s no interest would be to totally ignore commenting on the situation which the public just won’t do.

I find the entire thing insufferable, I don’t like people taking swipes at the old man just after he has died and am not a fan of all the hatred toward the royals on social media but when you get the BBC carrying on in the way they have done by having tributes to him on every station on their network and ramming it down everyone’s throats then it is going to wind a lot of people up the wrong way. I had radio 2 on in the car briefly yesterday m and it was utter cringe, I’m not sure who the presenter was but she was an Irish lady and I’m certain a part of her soul was dying slowly throughout her broadcast, Venessa Phelps was coming up next and i can imagine her show would have been properly nauseating. Proper North Korean levels of propaganda machine broadcasting.

Also anyone saying that he served his country can go and f**k the selves, he lived the life of the luxury for decades at the taxpayers expensive. The country served him.

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

I don't know a single person from any part of the UK who cares. It's hardly been mentioned.

Tbh I think in England a far higher % of people care and the media report that but BBC Scotland should have said the general feeling here is "meh with a good helpful of thank f**k he's snuffed it"

Disgraceful - only a 27  page tribute + a 24 page pull out in the paper today.  What did it for me though was Match of the Day showing highlights of the minutes silence. Come to F***.  Now we have the Scottish Parliament being recalled to pay him tributes. How can you say we need to stamp down on racism when you pay tribute to a racist?

Edited by Elric

Very true.  Denmark only had a tiny occupation force during the war (unlike Norway) and even held an election IIRC.
They also protected their Jews.  The King wore a Star of David even though he was not Jewish.  More than 99% of Danish Jews survived the war.

That’s an Urban legend about the King wearing the Star of David or all the Danes wearing it. The reality is the Danes never enforced the wearing of the Star of David by its Jewish population and then the well known evacuation of them to Sweden as the Danish didn’t see them as Danish Jews they saw them as just Danish.

Must have been great to see the look on the German Authorities faces when they turned up to round up all the Jews only to discover a few Danes shrugging their shoulders and asking “what Jews?”

Just remembered yet another reason to dislike the old git.

Some years ago he was touring a cheese factory in the Hebrides or somewhere like that. He refused point-blank to wear one of those plastic caps to catch loose hair and as a result they had to throw away an entire day's production run.

Tbh I think in England a far higher % of people care and the media report that but BBC Scotland should have said the general feeling here is "meh with a good helpful of thank f**k he's snuffed it"

Watched the news before MOTD Last night and I couldn’t believe some of the general public they’d interviewed.

One woman was crying saying she felt a calling to windsor castle to pay her respects.

The c**t would’ve walked past the other c**t in the street and not batted and eyelid.

Guest Bob Mahelp

BBC presenters still wearing black this morning. I presume that this creepy slavish North Korean type grovelling is going to last all week. 

All because one newsreader wore a fucking maroon tie when the Queen Mum came across a fish bone with her name on it 20 years ago. The right wing press have never forgiven the BBC for that unpatriotic gesture. 

As an aside, The Express have decided to combine their two favourite themes.....utter deference to the Royals, and complete hatred of the SNP....into one headline this morning.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1421513/nicola-sturgeon-news-SNP-supporters-mock-prince-Philip-death-funeral-royal-family-latest

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, throbber said:

Look at social media though, how many people are talking about it on twitter? Even this page has gone 40+ pages, there is still huge interest around the royal family. The best way to show there’s no interest would be to totally ignore commenting on the situation which the public just won’t do.

I find the entire thing insufferable, I don’t like people taking swipes at the old man just after he has died and am not a fan of all the hatred toward the royals on social media but when you get the BBC carrying on in the way they have done by having tributes to him on every station on their network and ramming it down everyone’s throats then it is going to wind a lot of people up the wrong way. I had radio 2 on in the car briefly yesterday m and it was utter cringe, I’m not sure who the presenter was but she was an Irish lady and I’m certain a part of her soul was dying slowly throughout her broadcast, Venessa Phelps was coming up next and i can imagine her show would have been properly nauseating. Proper North Korean levels of propaganda machine broadcasting.

Also anyone saying that he served his country can go and f**k the selves, he lived the life of the luxury for decades at the taxpayers expensive. The country served him.

I feel generally the same as you. Not a fan of the concept of the monarchy in the slightest, but it reflects poorly on anybody who takes some kind of glee in being nasty about an old man who has just died.

Of course there's a lot of interest. We have the monarchy shoved down our throats regularly from birth. It would be weird if it didn't cause a stir. But what we're seeing this time around is that the fuss is coming a lot more from the media than from the public and the fact that people are annoyed by it is obvious.

When Diana died it was quite hard to be sure how in or out of step with public mood any individual was, since all we really had was normal media telling us we were all completely fucking devastated. This time that trick doesn't work.

People start to get out of a trap when they realise not everybody wants to be in it.

28 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Don't try and play coy and don't feign ignorance. If you're going to let your prejudices shine through then at least be man enough to stand by them. Shitebag.

I'm really disappointed with this one. 

He's usually such a boring pious old b*****d who tries to virtue signal at almost every given opportunity whilst simultaneously showing everyone how utterly insipid and bland his personality is. For someone that's usually so judgemental and quick to call out anything he politically disagrees with as morally objectionable that's really hard to understand why he would post blatant sectarian remarks... is he not one of the good guys? 

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

That was the aforementioned JP2... the original holy goalie.

There was a minutes silence at most games, that was it, certainly nothing like the faux grief sycophantic bollocks enveloping society just now, as others have mentioned f**k knows what it will be like when old Liz croaks.

On a surreal note I remember the day of 9/11, the planes struck late afternoon our time, I was working on a new build house site in Tullibody and suddenly all the various workmen were relaying the unbelievable news of what was going on across the pond in the USA. I had the radio on in the car driving home from work listening as it seemed WW3 was about to start, got home and put the telly box on, all channels showing live pictures from the carnage and destruction in America........

......bar Channel 4 which wasn't risking a pensioners revolt and ploughed on with Countdown. 

If the numbers game et al is cancelled we are well and truly fucked.

Finished early that day, did you?

Watched the news before MOTD Last night and I couldn’t believe some of the general public they’d interviewed.

One woman was crying saying she felt a calling to windsor castle to pay her respects.

The c**t would’ve walked past the other c**t in the street and not batted and eyelid.

c***s like that are clearly mental, imagine getting choked up because someone you don’t know has died, the only ones who should feel anything are his family and friends. 90% of the idiots on my social media posting pictures of him are the same ones who want to deport all immigrants but here they are teared up over Philip who if he wasn’t Royalty they’d be demanding he go back to where he came from or at least stopped at a closer country after Greece punted him.

I feel generally the same as you. Not a fan of the concept of the monarchy in the slightest, but it reflects poorly on anybody who takes some kind of glee in being nasty about an old man who has just died.
Of course there's a lot of interest. We have the monarchy shoved down our throats regularly from birth. It would be weird if it didn't cause a stir. But what we're seeing this time around is that the fuss is coming a lot more from the media than from the public and the fact that people are annoyed by it is obvious.
When Diana died it was quite hard to be sure how in or out of step with public mood any individual was, since all we really had was normal media telling us we were all completely fucking devastated. This time that trick doesn't work.
People start to get out of a trap when they realise not everybody wants to be in it.
It's one less racist old b*****d on the planet and a high profile one at that. Forgive me for being quite pleased by that news.

Guest TheJTS98
6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
28 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's one less racist old b*****d on the planet and a high profile one at that. Forgive me for being quite pleased by that news.

Well, that seems a bit rough. If I'd been born into his situation at his time and had had his upbringing and life, I reckon I'd have some questionable views on what is ok to think and say as well.

We've all got our flaws. Seems a bit uncharitable to wish to revel in those of someone who has just died, who did very little of any actual consequence, and of whom you have only the most superficial knowledge.

Fair enough.

Edited by TheJTS98