Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If only Partick Thistle stopped pouring their money into their womens team, they'd probably be in the Champions League by now.

Their women's team is probably the best chance they have of seeing European football at Firhill.

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Re ‘rainbow related’ - can anyone confirm Geoffrey was indeed an Arab or is someone ripping the pish on Wikipedia? 

IMG_3431.jpeg

Looks like a typical dayglo fud to me.

Geoffrey Hayes from Rainbow has died - Liverpool Echo

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The use of the term "box ticking" should be a red flag that we have a full-on gammon in our midst.

Also "in my humble opinion".

It's always transparently obvious that they consider their words to be imparted from the very lips of Our Lord himself.

7 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Re ‘rainbow related’ - can anyone confirm Geoffrey was indeed an Arab or is someone ripping the pish on Wikipedia? 

IMG_3431.jpeg

Yes, a supporter of Dundee’s bigger professional team.

Will probably get hammered for this and I’m not “raging” about it because the outlay is probably minimal but I’m not a bit fan of Kilmarnock funding a women’s team either. If that team pays for its self then fair enough but other than that anything that doesn’t short or long term make the men’s first 11 better then I don’t really want the club spending money on it.

If the club was funding an over-35s men’s team to win a charity league and we were losing money on it I wouldn’t want that either.

I’m sure this isn’t a one sided argument there will be female fans of the Kilmarnock women’s team who don’t care about the men’s team and probably bang their head off the wall at the fact 99% of the clubs budget is probably spent on the men’s team.

ETA - my own personal feelings on women’s football may change through time, they certainly have over the last 5 or so years as the game has grown but I saw a comment earlier on about the Partick women’s team having more chance of making Europe than them and I was just thinking that even if Kilmarnock womens team were playing in a European final at Rugby Park tonight I still wouldn’t go. 

Edited by Sortmeout

1 hour ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Geoffrey from Rainbow and Lorraine Kelly, what a pair.

Don't forget Timmy Mallet.

Lorraine Kelly takes Timmy Mallet to watch Dundee United! - YouTube

Thank you.

eta. Just about sums up the whole tangerine pantomime.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Will probably get hammered for this and I’m not “raging” about it because the outlay is probably minimal but I’m not a bit fan of Kilmarnock funding a women’s team either. If that team pays for its self then fair enough but other than that anything that doesn’t short or long term make the men’s first 11 better then I don’t really want the club spending money on it.

If the club was funding an over-35s men’s team to win a charity league and we were losing money on it I wouldn’t want that either.

Depends how you look at it.

In terms of Thistle’s women’s team, I believe they are entirely self-sufficient, financially, so it’s not relevant but even if it wasn’t, then you could definitely still view it as a long term investment in the men’s first team. By having a visible (and current relatively successful) women’s team playing in North Glasgow, Thistle are further embedding themselves in the local community. That could pay dividends in the future in terms of turning previously indifferent locals into supporters, both of the men’s and women’s team. I would think it’s unlikely, but not impossible obviously, that there’s too many supporters of women’s football in Scotland who never take any interest in men’s football.

The same could be said of your over 35’s charity example, or a host of other loss-making initiatives - kids go free unquestionably lost Thistle some income in the short term, but has created an awful lot of supporters for the club in the long term. I‘m sure that Killie will have donated season tickets for free in the past with the same aim.

Basically, my point is that even if you view the women’s team purely through the lens of how it would impact the men’s first team, then it’s possible to view it as a long term investment. Whether it works or not is a separate matter, of course, but aye.

Edit: obviously women’s football deserves to exist and be funded entirely on its own merits. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

45 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Don't forget Timmy Mallet.

Lorraine Kelly takes Timmy Mallet to watch Dundee United! - YouTube

Thank you.

eta. Just about sums up the whole tangerine pantomime.

Not having that, Mallett’s a good lad

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/30/timmy-mallett-childrens-tv-what-he-did-next-interview

I also remember him from a Blair-era BBC2 show where they had the writer John O’Farrell campaigning for Labour in Henley on Thames. Lots of old plutocrats told him to ‘f**k off back to Moscow’, which I guess was the point, but he doorstepped a house and it turned out to be Mallett’s gaff. Mallett invited him in and tried to drill him about Labour policy about education and social care. O’Farrell basically bumbled and pretty much admitted they were just doing it to get him abuse from old Tories for the camera. Came across as much more of a c**t than Timmy did.